Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wine - What to buy in Germany, good brands, etc.

56 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, yourkeau said:

I don't know why this post was negged but this is totally true. I'm a beer drinker but I love wines from the south (South Italy, Spain, Portugal). Unfortunately, you can't get anything like Sicilian 2 euro table wine for any money here, so I don't even try to buy any wines...

Do you drink porto, @MikeMelga? This is what I miss from Portugal a lot, the white one.

I drink Porto, but not all the time, usually a small glass every 2 weeks, especially to go with chocolate deserts or red fruits. My favorite is chocolate cake with raspberries, drinking Porto with it.

You can get good Port in Munich, but usually not on German supermarkets. Those sell unknown brands for very low price, it is crap.

There are a couple of Portuguese stores who sell decent Port starting at 10€. Good Port starts at 16€. 

2 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Pre-smartphone story, no video :D

I am still best friends with the guy, but he toned down on the wine expertise :D:D

If it were a friend of mine, I would imagine saying to him, "Drink up buddy, Wine's good for such burns." :lol:

On 2.2.2016, 22:53:43, MikeMelga said:

... especially if the meal was also cooked with wine.

that only happens if I accidently miss my glass when pouring.

On 3.2.2016, 08:16:58, Allershausen said:

ALDI do a Zweigelt for €1,99 and it's really good. I drink a lot (far too much) of it. :-)

Thanks for that, picked up a bottle yesterday and look forward to trying it.

My motto is: "Life is too short to drink poor quality wine." Since I like to do wine tastings in wine shops, I buy most of my wine there. The cheapest bottle was €5 (Vinho Verde from Portugal), but normally I spend €7- 12 on a bottle. Good full-bodied red wines like Malbec from Argentina, Nero D'Avola from Sicily, Bordeaux from France typically cost €15 upwards. I don't do concessions here. Best price-quality wines are from Portugal and Chile. I bought really good ones for €8-10. Sometimes I try "supermarket" wine, but most of it I wouldn't serve my guests. All very personal of course.

I once bought 6 bottles of very nice German dry red wine called "Auggener Regent" I bought it directly at the vineyard and have yet to find a bottle in a shop.

A couple of years ago the Munich Toytown Cycling group did a 3 day tour of the wine growing area around Würzburg, Franconia. Up until that time I'd always dismissed German white wines as being far too sweet and not very nice. However we discoverd that there are in fact some particularly nice dry white wines made in the area. Two of my favourites were Silvaner and Müller-Thurgau and I usually buy these now if I want to drink white wine.

9 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Best price-quality wines are from Portugal and Chile. 

Hi Luke, where do you usually buy Portuguese wine? I usually buy them on Portuguese supermarkets but even them don't have much variety.

Have you tried "Duas Quintas"? It is a very good wine, both the red and the white.

I bought most of it at a shop in Westend, which closed recently, so I'm not happy with this. I can recommend:

http://www.degraaffs.de/index.php?cPath=1

It's based it Munich, but they don't have a shop. I had 2 tastings with them incl. port. I bought good Vinho Verde at Kaufhof. The wine fair Forum Vini in October/November also has a good selection. 

I don't know Duas Quintas, but I make a note.

This thread has tickled my fancy. I think I'm going to buy up a cross section of wines this weekend for a blind tasting... same grape, different prices.

23 hours ago, Allershausen said:

A couple of years ago the Munich Toytown Cycling group did a 3 day tour of the wine growing area around Würzburg, Franconia. Up until that time I'd always dismissed German white wines as being far too sweet and not very nice. However we discoverd that there are in fact some particularly nice dry white wines made in the area. Two of my favourites were Silvaner and Müller-Thurgau and I usually buy these now if I want to drink white wine.

That's the charm of German wines – each wine region has very specific characteristics. Some regions whose reputation had suffered for decades from a surplus of low quality have seen the emergence of more ambitious vine growers who go for quality over quantitiy. Best example: Rheinhessen. It used to be a provider of rather cheap wine which also was exported a lot (the infamous Liebfrauenmilch), but this has changed. The effects of climate change help in some aspects, red wines become better, other grapes are grown successfully, like Sauvignon Blanc – though for the typical dry Riesling, it may be getting too warm. The upswing of German wine may have to do with the generally growing appreciation of local food, which makes it easier for small wine growers to find their market (but also sell their products online).

A good opportunity to get an overview are wine fairs, like the Weinforum Rheinhessen in Mainz, or hikes through the vinyards, like e.g. Bergsträßer Weinlagenwanderung on 1 May. Look for a Weinwanderung in your area if you are lucky to live in a wine growing region. There are also TV shows, like the programme "Weinwunder Deutschland" (currently not running, but on Youtube) featuring British wine expert Stuart Pigott, who is author of books on German wine and has a column in the FAZ Sonntagszeitung as well.

I'm new to Germany from Montreal, Canada. I am so pleased with the price of alcohol here as Canada has high tax on alcohol and liquor stores are government owned and controlled so the prices are the same everywhere.  The best you can do is go into the neighbouring province to save a few bucks but the difference is not great.

This is what I noticed about wine in German stores. I found that a lot of the really cheap wines (under €5) here are not usually that good although you can find a sparkler now and then.  I found it very difficult to find red wines from Burgundy anywhere in the stores and I love my Pinot! Soooo, I looked online and was pleasantly surprised by the selection and price of wines from lidl.de! I found a nice Pinot Noir for under €5 and a tasty côtes-du-rhone for €7.  It also takes only a day or two for the order to arrive at your door.  They do charge €4,95 for shipping so I try to order a lot at once.  If you're into the heavier, full-bodied southern wines, they also have a great Barolo for €10 but I've only seen it in store.  

Cheers!

Another place for buying wine for little money, some drinkable, is – drugstores, like Rossmann or DM. Here's a test of 40 wines from supermarkets by wine experts: 40 günstige Weine im Test. According to them, German white wines are relatively expensive, and for 5 to 7 euros, excellent wines can be bought directly from a wine grower, a cooperative or a wine shop.

Our go-to everyday wines are, for red, the South African Cabernet Sauvignon from Aldi or Penny. I think it's called African Rock or Western Cape, and for White the Sauvignon Blanc from the same brand.  they are very good and have won a number of taste test/comparisons. 

I find living in Germany excellent for reasonably-priced wine.  You can get very good wine in any Supermarket for 3-6 euros.  You just have to find what you like.

Jacques' Winedepot is a franchise chain where the stores are usually open afternoons & evenings (plus Saturday mornings). 

Started off with just French wines, they added Italian and now include most places including Australia, South & North America etc.

You have the possibility to taste most of their offerings.  In our experience it is best to keep off the very cheap ones and drink fewer of the better wines.

As well as wines in bottles they have a collection of 5-litre packs.

I can't find a more recent thread than this to talk about wine, so I'll revive this one.

I have been struggling quite a bit to find good red wine in Germany. White wine no problem, a good Riesling or Grauburgunder and I'm happy.

But for Reds, in which I usually spend about 8€:

- I've tried many a bottle at Edeka: Mostly Italian & Spanish The French wines are awful. I look up best vintages to help my chances, but mostly I haven't found much good.

- Lidl and Aldi stuff. I'm yet to find a good one despite previous comments in this thread

- I tried Jacques, box of 6 reds for 50€. Bad

- I've tried some local(ish) wine shops, much more success there, but much more pricey and hard to get to for me.

- I've tried online with vino24.de. I've tried one bottle so far... pretty good, so I'll see with this one.

Any advice appreciated. Do I need to pay more? Are the some good online shops?

If you are used to Australian red as a benchmark, then you won't find the same wine here: the climate is cooler, and the prefered style is (often) "lighter". Plus the grape types are often completely different.

What about Australian wines in Lidl and Aldi, and the bigger shops? And, of course, may I recommend the South African reds!!! That said, I confess to quite liking one of the Yellowtails (I think its the shiraz?), but I know the South African reds better, so I can choose a better bottle blind (Nederburg reds - can't go wrong, in the supermarket at 4-5€ per bottle caberet savignon, shiraz, pinotage if you like it).

Lidl gets a wide selection of reds now, for Christmas.

We have used wein-baule.de, for a specific bottle (South African), but its expensive, and I find that the the 4-5€ bottles at the supermarket can be quite fine, so long as you are familar with the region the wine is from. Plus the expectations are lower!!