Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wine - What to buy in Germany, good brands, etc.

56 posts in this topic

One of the hard things about living in a foreign country, is it's hard to build up that sort of instinctive knowing of which foods or brands you like. Even though there may not be that many, say things like cheeses, it has sort of overloaded my mind trying to remember which are any good (I think it's "not many"). I buy Lidl cheddar when it's in stock. it's good.

More importantly, anyone have any suggestions for modestly prices wines? At the moment I am drinking a Zweigelt (or possibly a Barrique, no idea how the names work) from Lidl which almost certainly cost under 3€ and seems very pleasant. Often I buy the colour coded range from Netto that also costs about 3€ (there is a red tempranillo, a blue pinotage, a green one and a purple one IIRC). They are reasonable too. I suspect in the uk they would be 5 or 6 quid.

I know when talking about wine, most people go for more upmarket stuff, but I have never felt able to justify spending more on the refreshment than on the meal. But feel to flaunt your extravagances too.

It has been proven that 'Wine Tasting' is a sham. You can drink any wine you want, and you'll never know the difference. B)

Unfortunately all wines below 4.5€ I have tasted in Germany are crap.

In Portugal you can get a decent bottle of wine for less than 2€, but here you need to go above 6€.

As Portuguese wines are quite difficult to find here (and expensive), I go for Italians for white wine and for Bordeaux for red wines.

Rewe has some nice Italian white wines for around 5€.

Regarding you priorities, I would spend more on the wine than on the meal, especially if the meal was also cooked with wine.

42 minutes ago, Erdmann said:

It has been proven that 'Wine Tasting' is a sham. You can drink any wine you want, and you'll never know the difference. B)

In Portugal we have a true wine culture. Rich people and poor people drink wine. There is no snobbism in it.

22 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

In Portugal we have a true wine culture. Rich people and poor people drink wine. There is no snobbism in it.

True, and it's nice to have such culture. Wine is very special. I also drink wine with family on some weekends, but I honestly (personally) don't find any difference in taste between most of them. Some just taste good, some taste less than good.

But the video was funny, no? :lol:

46 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

Then you should venture further than Netto or Lidl/Rewe when you buy your wine...

1 hour ago, grimmiger said:

At the moment I am drinking a Zweigelt (or possibly a Barrique, no idea how the names work)

Zweigelt is a grape and barrique is a type of barrel.

3 hours ago, Erdmann said:

True, and it's nice to have such culture. Wine is very special. I also drink wine with family on some weekends, but I honestly (personally) don't find any difference in taste between most of them. Some just taste good, some taste less than good.

If you liked the video, you should watch the film "Sideways"

5 hours ago, Uncle Nick said:

If you liked the video, you should watch the film "Sideways"

Just read the synopsis, now it's on my watch list. Thanks. B)

Sideways is an enjoyable movie - just don't drink too much while you're watching! :P

10 hours ago, grimmiger said:

At the moment I am drinking a Zweigelt (or possibly a Barrique, no idea how the names work) from Lidl which almost certainly cost under 3€ and seems very pleasant

ALDI do a Zweigelt for €1,99 and it's really good. I drink a lot (far too much) of it. :-)

8 minutes ago, katheliz said:

Sideways is an enjoyable movie - just don't drink too much while you're watching! :P

I always watch movies responsibly. :D

10 hours ago, Erdmann said:

I drink a glass of wine every night and cook with it maybe every other night.

I will check the video later, dont have sound here :)

For me, only Lidl and Netto are really convenient, but I shall have a look in Aldi next time I pass one.

Watching films about people drinking wine instead of actually doing the driking yourselves sounds like new depths of laziness.

23 hours ago, Erdmann said:

I have a true story that illustrates a similar situation. 

We were 4 friends having dinner in Portugal on a fancy restaurant. One of my friends was the most knowledgeable on wines, so he picked one.

The wine came and the first zip went well, but the bottle had just been opened, so we waited for it to "air out".

After some minutes, I complained that the wine was spoiled. My friend said I knew nothing about wines, it was fine.

After a couple more minutes, it was even worst but he would say this was sublime and product of careful development of taste.

I called the waiter and complained, while my friend was saying I was being stupid. The waiter smelled the bottle, nothing. He smelled from the glass and it had a strong smell, similar to ammonia.

Suddenly all became clear! The glasses had been washed, but the detergent was not removed, so the wine had been absorbing it for a couple of minutes!

But no, my "knowledgeable" friend thought it was sublime like that! :D

4 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

We were 4 friends having dinner in Portugal on a fancy restaurant. One of my friends was the most knowledgeable on wines, so he picked one.

The wine came and the first zip went well, but the bottle had just been opened, so we waited for it to "air out".

After some minutes, I complained that the wine was spoiled. My friend said I knew nothing about wines, it was fine.

After a couple more minutes, it was even worst but he would say this was sublime and product of careful development of taste.

I called the waiter and complained, while my friend was saying I was being stupid. The waiter smelled the bottle, nothing. He smelled from the glass and it had a strong smell, similar to ammonia.

Suddenly all became clear! The glasses had been washed, but the detergent was not removed, so the wine had been absorbing it for a couple of minutes!

Holy crap, his face when the truth was revealed. :lol: Please tell me you had that moment on video.

On 02/02/2016 22:53:43, MikeMelga said:

In Portugal you can get a decent bottle of wine for less than 2€, but here you need to go above 6€.

As Portuguese wines are quite difficult to find here (and expensive), I go for Italians for white wine and for Bordeaux for red wines.

Rewe has some nice Italian white wines for around 5€.

Regarding you priorities, I would spend more on the wine than on the meal, especially if the meal was also cooked with wine.

I don't know why this post was negged but this is totally true. I'm a beer drinker but I love wines from the south (South Italy, Spain, Portugal). Unfortunately, you can't get anything like Sicilian 2 euro table wine for any money here, so I don't even try to buy any wines...

Do you drink porto, @MikeMelga? This is what I miss from Portugal a lot, the white one.

54 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

There was a big scandal in the 80s with some Austrian wines being "tempered" with diethylene glycol (a component of antifreeze fluid in car coolant). See, maybe detergent wasn't that bad... :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diethylene_glycol_wine_scandal

8 hours ago, Erdmann said:

Holy crap, his face when the truth was revealed. :lol: Please tell me you had that moment on video.

Pre-smartphone story, no video :D

I am still best friends with the guy, but he toned down on the wine expertise :D:D