English-language helpline for Deutsche Telekom

28 posts in this topic

I found an English-language help number for Deutsche Telekom. But if you manage to get through you should call with a speaker phone as it is a looooooong wait. I gave up after 20 minutes.

English helpline number is: [out-of-date number deleted on request of owner]

On the other hand Deutsche Post offers extensive English information. If the info is in German then it is available in English as well. Very helpful website. Deutsche Telekom could take some lesson from them.

Can anyone please help, I have been trying unsuccessfully for over a week to speak to someone in T-Com who speaks English, every number they give either results in a dead line, or a never ending number of transfers to a line which is never answered!

Thanks in advance

Caroline

Topics merged by admin

helpful people Have you tried these people, I hear they are very good.

Not sure there is an actual English contact number for Telekom, you might just be lucky and get someone who speaks English, but since it can be extremely difficult to get connected to customer services at times, if they are trying to connect you to someone who speaks english it could take forever or as you have found out, may not happen at all!

Can't you get a German speaking friend to call for you??

This seems to be standard company procedure. If you just call the standard customer service number: one time out of ten you will get through to someone who has enough English to help you, two times out of ten you will get through some impatient twat who all but puts the phone down on you and the rest of the time you might make some progress by swapping words in your bad German and their bad English. Do not be fooled by the mythical 'English speaking support line'. I got given that old chestnut a few times and it just ended up connecting me with some obnoxious misanthrope who was clearly 5 minutes away from finishing their shift and could speak no English whatsoever.

Good luck

BTW I am finally a reasonably happy customer; but they made me work for it.

Wilkommen in Deutschland :)

Chances, you have many...

I continue to fail to understand why anyone would expect a German company offering a German service in Germany would expect anyone to help them in anything other than the German language. Consider yourself lucky in the knowledge that it's really quite likely that someone in most public service organisations is likely to speak English as most Germans learn English in school for 8-10 years and beyond, and actually like to improve their English. Consider too how many similar organisations in UK or USA would have even a single person, anywhere, that speaks more than a few words of German for their German customers.

All is not lost, however, that's just what this forum is for, along with many TT advertisers whose purpose is to provide us all with just that support

Of course, if you explain your problem here, maybe we can help...

Whilst I kind of agree with your sentiment YL6, the fact remains that German is not a global language whereas English is. This alone would suggest that the likelyhood of having an English speaking service in Germany is about a thousand times more likely and perhaps more to be expected available than a German speaking service in the UK.

I heard there was a Turkish-speaking team and an English-speaking team of people at DT's Customer Services.

Can anyone please help, I have been trying unsuccessfully for over a week to speak to someone in T-Com who speaks English, every number they give either results in a dead line, or a never ending number of transfers to a line which is never answered!

Easy solution. Go to one of the many T-Com outlets in Munich and get them to deal with your request personally face to face on the spot!

Just ask do they speak english and if they dont then i'm sure they will know which one of their colleagues will.

I've dealt with the one in Schutzenstrasse (round the corner from easy everything at hauptbahnhof) and the lad i was dealing with had almost perfect english.

In the shops (it appears that) they are able to do anything that the telephone hotline does. I'l stand corrected if this isnt the case. I've ordered DSL and has the telephone options modified in the shop.

T-Punkt shops can do most things that the helplines can, with the possible downside that T-Punkt employees are largely commission motivated, so tend to over-sell

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions, problem is now solved. Found an old piece of correspondence with a very helpful English speaking employee's name. If anyone has any problems in the future, PM me and I will pass it on.

Caroline

I like using 11837 which is the English speaking local directory assistance to obtain phone numbers for all over Germany.

At €1.39/minute, that's an expensive way to find a phone number, especially as the call is longer than average as the operators struggle with spelling. Better to use the online search tool, which is also in English, and is free...

My experience with english help line in germany.

I called the normal number, 0800 33 0 1020 and managed to get a number for english speaking helpline. they gave me 08003303132. I waited 20 minutes for someone to answer and they took the phone off the hook and laid it down on the table for about 25 minutes while they spoke to each other. Then I hung up and tried again. Same thing. The third time, i managed to speak to someone who said they only spoke turkish and not english. He then put the phone on the desk and I heard the talking in the room and i hung up after 10 minutes. Next I called the 0800 33 0 1020. The first three attempts I got a recording that the number is closed. next i went through the prompts and the line went dead. I called again and waited about 10 minutes and managed to speak to someone in my bad german to find out what hotline number for english is correct. They gave me 0800 33 055 33. The person that answered the phone did not speak english, but put me on hold to find someone.

Apparently Germans expect people to move to this country and be fluent in German. I would give the 0800 33 055 00 number a try and see.

I suspect people who are telling you there is an English suppor tline are simply fobbing you off. There never has been one in recent times that worked, although you often get English speakers on most of the standard helpline numbers if you persist.

Apparently Germans expect people to move to this country and be fluent in German

I find this somewhat arrogant. How many helplines in UK/USA/Australia/New Zealand/<your native English country here> have support in German for German immigrants and expect anything other than fluent English when contacted?

Apparently Germans expect people to move to this country and be fluent in German.

I would go a little further and say that your comment is extremely arrogant and way out of order.

You are in Germany - learn the language or employ an interpreter. It's easy.