Blue Card: Break between jobs

14 posts in this topic

Hello,

We came to Germany through the Blue Card program. I am changing jobs after three years on Blue Card. I have a gap of a little over one month between the jobs. We were considering going on a road trip during this one month gap. Currently we are living in a service apartment. The new job would be in a different city, so we do not intend to extend our lease. So my question is, do we have to maintain an address at all times? Can we rent a PO box for one month or maybe 3 weeks while we go on our road trip? Once we are back from our trip, we would definitely be moving into an apartment; temporary furnished one or a permanent one depending on what we find.

Also, do I need to do anything specific with respect to the Blue Card because of the break between jobs?

Thanks,

RPC

So I had something similar happen to me and the government told me to go pound salt, because once my employment ended, so did any rights to the Blue Card.  I thought that was a bit strange considering I was living in Germany afterwards for a little bit.  

I was under the impression that your visa was tied directly to employment, rendering it (essentially) null once you don't have a job anymore.  Have you checked with the Auslaenderbehoerde about this by any chance?  Would love to hear what they think.

Best of luck!

My Blue Card is no longer tied to a specific employer. This is explicitly stated in the Zusatzblatt for the Blue Card.

I will try to get the opinion from the ABH about this. I am guessing they will not have a big problem as I have another contract already.

RPC

21 hours ago, RPC said:

My Blue Card is no longer tied to a specific employer. This is explicitly stated in the Zusatzblatt for the Blue Card.

Then you are not required to inform the ABH that your employment was terminated.

1 minute ago, engelchen said:

Then you are not required to inform the ABH that your employment was terminated.

They did tell me that I must notify them when I change jobs. Does this mean that I tell them only at the time I join the new company? Is there a requirement for my old employer to notify the ABH of the termination of my contract?

I must also find out from TK about how the insurance can be kept current during the break period.

So, I went to the ABH today. According to the lady at the office, it should not be a problem since my Blue Card is no longer tied to the company. Howeve, she did say that she is seeing this situation for the first time and is not really sure of the Gesetz. She felt that this should be OK. I will update this thread if I get more information.

On 2016-02-04, 12:57:21, RPC said:

Howeve, she did say that she is seeing this situation for the first time and is not really sure of the Gesetz. She felt that this should be OK.

Tell her to read §82 Abs 6 AufenthG; you'd think that after 3.5 years she would have received the info. :blink:

On 2/6/2016, 7:44:04, engelchen said:

Tell her to read §82 Abs 6 AufenthG; you'd think that after 3.5 years she would have received the info. :blink:

Well, I  suppose I could go back and tell her that but I am sure the friendly demeanor might vanish immediately.

On the other hand, since you might've read that already, perhaps you could shed some light... Please... :)

Hi RPC,

I am in a similar situation. I have secured a new job and also resigned from my current job such that there is a gap of 1 month before joining. Was planning to have a break to invest some time on myself and family before the hustle begins again :). But now reminded of these small things like insurance and pension continuity :D. How to handle these? I would surely call up TK and check but want happens to pension etc. Please share details  and any tips from your experience. 

Also is there any possibility to get unemployment benefit for this 1 month, OK crazy question i know but doesnt harm to ask.

TIA.

Br,

osna

Hmmm... I am not an expert on this. In my case, TK asked me to pay the minimum charges for the period I was unemployed. NO pension payments during this time. I do not think one would qualify for unemployment when one resigns. You might want to check with an expert...

On 5/4/2019, 10:14:36, osnabruk said:

Hi RPC,

I am in a similar situation. I have secured a new job and also resigned from my current job such that there is a gap of 1 month before joining. Was planning to have a break to invest some time on myself and family before the hustle begins again :). But now reminded of these small things like insurance and pension continuity :D. How to handle these? I would surely call up TK and check but want happens to pension etc. Please share details  and any tips from your experience. 

Also is there any possibility to get unemployment benefit for this 1 month, OK crazy question i know but doesnt harm to ask.

TIA.

Br,

osna

If you worked long enough then you can go to the Agentur fur Arbeit and register yourself as unemployed.   You won't receive unemployment benefits for the first 3 months because you resigned yourself, but most probably they will cover your health insurance and pension contributions.    You should do it soon, like as soon as you get to know you are not going have a workplace (except when it is very long in the future).

Many thanks @RPC and  @Krieg.

I didn't get any notification from Toytown hence believed no one has answered to the query. I guess its kinda late but I would nevertheless go to Agentur für Arbeit and check.

On 5/24/2019, 9:36:06, osnabruk said:

Many thanks @RPC and  @Krieg.

I didn't get any notification from Toytown hence believed no one has answered to the query. I guess its kinda late but I would nevertheless go to Agentur für Arbeit and check.

I am in a similar situation. Did you check already? COuld you please share what happened?

On 12/2/2020, 4:24:24, hakka said:

I am in a similar situation. Did you check already? COuld you please share what happened?

Yes, as RPC mentioned correctly. I was required to pay the min. contribution for the 1 month on my own for health insurance and I was not eligible for any unemployment benefit for that month as I already had a job secured .Moreover I had resigned on my own so in any case it would have a wait period of 3 months before I could get any benefits.