Overlooked online shopping bill and delayed post results in aggressive debt collection

24 posts in this topic

On 2/1/2016, 7:27:13, klubbnika said:

There is something I don't understand here. How can you buy something online without paying immediately?

Quite easily. You just choose the pay on invoice / pay later option.

On 5/20/2020, 8:11:16, Rushrush said:

I can safely assume it will be the same in Germany

@ Rushrush - this is Germany and things are often different here.

I would recommend giving them a call and asking about the situation, just in case!

On 01/02/2016, 13:30:17, laisi said:

Finally this debt collectors company are really not nice people, - putting it politely lol - avoid them at all costs!

Can you perhaps imagine why?  I doubt anyone contacts them with a smile on their face.  Personally, I would hate such a job, as I am sure they do not enjoy what they do.  Yes, you contacted them and as you wrote were polite, but see it from their side as well.  This is what they deal with for an 8 hours shift.

To be quite blunt, we (consumers) are responsible for our own debt.  It is up to us to stay atop of who we owe, when and how much.  It is not up to companies or debt collection agencies to remind and pursue us endlessly.  If it went before a judge, it would be ultimately decided in their favour and you might end up with a lecture about staying atop your debts.

1 hour ago, BayrischDude said:

I doubt anyone contacts them with a smile on their face.

Not necessarily with a smile, but I have had to contact debt collectors on numerous occasions over the years from a neutral position, sometimes to inform them that the person they were writing to had passed away (on some occasions literally years before), sometimes to tell them that the person they were writing to had moved without leaving a forwarding address and that they should contact the authorities directly for further information...