Breaking into Zalando (Metaphorically)

29 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Erdmann said:

You gave yourself to the "dark side" of the force... :lol:

Coming from the US, i gave into the fact that Coke here has sugar and not corn syrup sweeteners. It really tastes better.

They are currently on a massive hiring push for software developers, looking for a hundred or so people this month.  I suspect they arent interested in talking to anyone else until they have that sorted.

I am working as a Project Manager into Cost Reduction for Jet engines. I am a Mechanical Engineer with an MBA from Purdue. I applied at Zalando for jobs that completely fit my profile or rather where I was overqualified. I never got a call. I once sent them an email asking if there was something wrong with their recruitment. Then, something struck me. The pay that I was asking for was way over what most companies in Berlin pay. If I can project manage aircraft engines, I can very well manage their they do. I have worked for huge companies many times the size of Zalando, but this is one company that always refused to interview me. It could be the pay, it could be something else. I am a person of colour by the way, but I know that Zalando employs people of all colours:)- The work culture in Zalando can be bad , but can also be good depending on the department. I have a friend who used to work there. So, in the end, my take is that it is not worth applying to especially if you are really qualified, and if you have worked for huge companies.

9 minutes ago, mathew7aby said:

If I can project manage aircraft engines, I can very well manage their they do.

If you can project manage aircraft engines why the **** are you wanting to work for a bunch of shoe-shifters?

Any that he wouldnt have to leave his life in berlin for?  Im no expert on engines but Ive only ever heard of rolls royce being a significant employer here.

On 18/02/2016, 16:58:39, zwiebelfisch said:

Any that he wouldnt have to leave his life in berlin for?  Im no expert on engines but Ive only ever heard of rolls royce being a significant employer here.

You said it, and this was when the situation here was quite unclear. It is clearer now, and I am not looking to move.

On 18/02/2016, 15:46:33, HEM said:

If you can project manage aircraft engines why the **** are you wanting to work for a bunch of shoe-shifters?

There are circumstances in life where you may have to consider a downgrade. Like being closer to Berlin when it comes to your workplace and when you are in your probation period, but the company is not doing well all of a sudden. So, instead of trying to act too smart, maybe you really need to use your brain to think if you can that is.