Termination of Kabel Deutschland/Vodafone contract is a big problem

84 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, generalmartok said:

New plan. Sign up for Telekom and take them up on their offer to manage my termination with Vodafone. 

They are all crooks.  I switched from Kabel Deutschland to Telekom 3 years ago after I moved to an area they didn't service.  I couldn't figure out what was taking so long but they told me it was because I'd opted to keep my number. So I said fine, gimme a new one then but then I was supposed to pay a 70€ connection fee because I'm no longer a switching customer but a new one. So I said ok I've already waited a month, how long can it take.. Well, in the end it took 3 months and both companies blamed each other. I did find out that it took Kabel Deutschland 2 months to release my number and Telekom another month to accept the release. I was without internet for 3 months because of this.

On 7/11/2018, 5:14:47, LeonG said:

They are all crooks

That they are. Somehow I seem to think Telekom is the lesser of the two evils. Moreover, I think based on the quality of the product alone (so far my experience with Telekom has been limited to cell phone service) I'd prefer the Telekom.

Vodafone called me yesterday. The new guy said actually I can switch to a slower line for less money, but with a brand new contract restarting the clock. I said no thanks. He said, well but now you are stuck paying more till Feb 2020. I said, yes but I'll still be done with you clowns 5 months sooner than you are now suggesting, so screw the money :)

Regardless of the horrible way Vodafone/Kabel Deutschland treat their customers, are you guys satisfied with the quality of your Internet?

I am not satisfied at all with my 200 Mbps service in Hamburg, it downloads fast and normally Netflix works fine, but browsing has its ups and downs and I hate how often it takes a few seconds from the moment I click until a page starts loading. 

I am thinking to cancel as my contract is up this coming December (so I need to cancel soon!) and switch to some VDSL provider without vertragslaufzeit, probably O2 100 Mbps.

I can't wait to feel free from contracts.

It is absolutely abusive that they force you to extend every time your contract is up.

IMHO having an initial vertragslaufzeit of 2 years is fine because they have some set up costs to cover, but after that they should let you continue forever with the normal high price, except if you really want to get a new vertragslaufzeit in exchange for a special  lower price.

51 minutes ago, lewton said:

Regardless of the horrible way Vodafone/Kabel Deutschland treat their customers, are you guys satisfied with the quality of your Internet?

I am not satisfied at all with my 200 Mbps service in Hamburg, it downloads fast and normally Netflix works fine, but browsing has its ups and downs and I hate how often it takes a few seconds from the moment I click until a page starts loading. 

I have been with KD and I have been with Telekom and I have been perfectly happy with both their internet after a rocky start of getting hooked up in the first place.  Remember that the speed given is "up to" and by no means guaranteed.

23 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I have been with KD and I have been with Telekom and I have been perfectly happy with both their internet after a rocky start of getting hooked up in the first place.  Remember that the speed given is "up to" and by no means guaranteed.

Well I know that, I never count the Mbps because that's pointless.

What counts for me is how snappy it feels. 

Unfortunately my Vodafone Kabel is not snappy at all.

7 hours ago, lewton said:

Unfortunately my Vodafone Kabel is not snappy at all.

Haha! Snappy? I am with VK and mine feels like a wet sponge!

10 hours ago, lewton said:

200Mbps is mostly irrelevant for browsing. Latency is more important. If you are using Wifi on 2.5Ghz, do a speed test comparision between wifi and a wired connection

2 hours ago, robinson100 said:

Haha! Snappy? I am with VK and mine feels like a wet sponge!

I hope that's a good thing. 

56 minutes ago, msam said:

200Mbps is mostly irrelevant for browsing. Latency is more important. If you are using Wifi on 2.5Ghz, do a speed test comparision between wifi and a wired connection

Been there, done that, same s**t.

It is not the Wifi, it is the line. My neighbors must be watching too much Netflix without the chill. 

Adios Vodafone for me. 

I have two questions to the Vodafone experts (or Telecoms experts in general).

We like our current landline number with Vodafone Kabel.

We do not need to keep it, but it would be nice to take it with us to the next provider.

So my questions are:

- If I already send Vodafone the cancellation letter in order to be safe and not let a new 24-month contract kick in, can I at a later phase, after having chosen a new provider, ask that provider to get the number from Vodafone?

- Can the number portability complicate the whole process? For example, could it be that because of complications with the portability, the delivery of the new DSL line will be delayed by days or weeks? Or can they deliver the line anyway and let the portability take its course?

13 minutes ago, lewton said:

- If I already send Vodafone the cancellation letter in order to be safe and not let a new 24-month contract kick in, can I at a later phase, after having chosen a new provider, ask that provider to get the number from Vodafone?

While not recommended it usually works. I you already canceled just act as if you hadn't when ordering the new line (i.e. tell your new ISP you want to switch ISPs and to port your phone number, then fill out the phone number port form they give you).

- Can the number portability complicate the whole process? For example, could it be that because of complications with the portability, the delivery of the new DSL line will be delayed by days or weeks? Or can they deliver the line anyway and let the portability take its course?

Yes, that can delay the whole process. The German laws demand that when you switch ISPs the switchover must be seamless. So both ISPs talk to each other and agree on a switchover date. Should the new ISP somehow fail to deliver on that date the old ISP has to continue providing service.

I had that "problem" in the past with the switchover being delayed a few weeks. But for me it was better that way because I didn't have to pay twice. The old line was deactivated on the same day my new line was activated. No day without Internet, no day paying twice.

Thanks for the answer!

So even if my 24 months with Vodafone end on date X, I will continue having service from Vodafone after date X until the new provider delivers the line, paying only my normal Vodafone rate for those additional dates, without my contract being rolled over for another 24 months?

Yes. But make sure to give both parties enough time to organize things. I would place my order with the new ISP at least notice period + 4 weeks (i.e. usually 4 months) before the end of the old contract.

Oh wow, this means I have about 30 days to decide what to do.

Many thanks for the valuable advice.

@lewton

whilst everything @sneaker said about the common practise of transferring numbers between providers is correct one other point to bear in mind is that the regulator for all forms of networks (including telephone, internet, electicity, water, gas, rail, high voltage, etc.) the Bundesnetzagentur has, since number portability became a technical possibility, always accepted the principle that the old provider has the right to make a 25€ service charge for the porting of any number from their allocted blocks.

In practise the old providers always add this charge to their departing client accounts. In order to equalize this factor when marketing to new clients it is the practise of all providers to offer new clients a 25€ bonus for porting their old number to the new poviders network. However it is possible that this bonus may not appear until the account has been in operation for some months.

To be sure of being able to get that credit acknowledged in the event of a future accounting error it is a wise precaution to seek out, (and retain copies of !!) the currently actual contractual references to 'nummer porting' in the new providers AGBs (T&Cs) or in any of the tiny small print in their marketing literature or their web advertising.

2B

7 minutes ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

@lewton

whilst everything @sneaker said about the common practise of transferring numbers between providers is correct one other point to bear in mind is that the regulator for all forms of networks (including telephone, internet, electicity, water, gas, rail, high voltage, etc.) the Bundesnetzagentur has, since number portability became a technical possibility, always accepted the principle that the old provider has the right to make a 25€ service charge for the porting of any number from their allocted blocks.

In practise the old providers always add this charge to their departing client accounts. In order to equalize this factor when marketing to new clients it is the practise of all providers to offer new clients a 25€ bonus for porting their old number to the new poviders network. However it is possible that this bonus may not appear until the account has been in operation for some months.

To be sure of being able to get that credit acknowledged in the event of a future accounting error it is a wise precaution to seek out, (and retain copies of !!) the currently actual contractual references to 'nummer porting' in the new providers AGBs (T&Cs) or in any of the tiny small print in their marketing literature or their web advertising.

2B

Wouldn't they mention it with big clear letters if they offered this kind of bonus for number portability?

Mobile phone operators do, including the big ones and small virtual operators.

11 hours ago, lewton said:

Wouldn't they mention it with big clear letters if they offered this kind of bonus for number portability?

Whilst they mostly indeed do that it is still no guarantee that (even if they do so) it will apply without certain limitations.

In fact it is worth noting that everything they highlight with big clear letters will always have a tiny number beside it which, if followed to the miniscule letters of the respective footnote, will point the prospective new client to the relevant limitations of their AGBs which apply to the respective highlighted 'bonus offer'.

It's up to a prospective customer to look out for their own interests by making sure they understand all the conditions they are agreeing to before signing any contract.

Caveat Empor!   Buyer Beware!

Life is not a rehersal!  There's no free lunch!

2B

So, I submitted the application to 1&1 to cancel the current Kabel D connection and transfer the current landline number to our new connection with them.

I was surprised when they asked me to sign and send back a porting form, but they did not tell me that I need to call Kabel D and ask them to release my number.

Every time I ported my mobile phone number to a new provider (that is 3 times already :) ) I was asked by the new provider to call then old one.

Is this normal because the process is different in case of landlines?

Or should I call Kabel anyway despite 1&1 not asking me to do it?

Mobile and landline number porting have different processes. 1&1 should take care of everything.

The process i used was the following:

1.  Cancelled my Vodafone / Kabel Deutschland service way ahead of time.

2.  Visited yourfone where i was switching my mobile from another provider to yourfone.   yourfone sells 1&1

3.  Worked with the yourfone rep to port all the numbers (different process for mobile and fixed as sneaker states).

I may be incorrect, but it is not clear that 1&1 can quit your contract for you.   I did this myself and received an acknowledgement via post within a few days and by email almost immediately.    If you don't have a written acknowledgement of your termination, make sure to get one to avoid an automatic extension. 

The downside of 1&1 is that they resell internet from other providers, and in our neighborhood that means Telekom.    We were without our own private home internet service for around 3 weeks waiting for the technician to show up.   As far as I understood, they were at the mercy of Telekom which prioritizes their own customers first.   The technicians missed at least 3 appointments.  

Good luck.