Termination of Kabel Deutschland/Vodafone contract is a big problem

41 posts in this topic

I have informed that I wished to terminate the contract and it was confirmed in writing of the date that I wrote to terminate it . 3 months noticed  no problem , you just need to send us the Anmeldigung form . After sending the Anmeldingung form in and the wifi box back as requested I recieved a letter , that my termination will start from the date I moved with another 3 months noticed from then . 

However on our contract it does not saying anything about moving at all , the contract was from year 2011 , so what does the service team from Vodafone working on I do not understand .

what should I do since there is monthly debit of 35 euro will be taking from my account  for 3 months ? Who should I write to now it seemed the service team  does understand things ? I had spoken to Verbrautchzentrum and help me with a  letter of objection to the time scale  of termination , yet no noticed is taken by Vodafone.

I had an issue with them too after moving.  I sent them some nasty letters as they'd been playing me along for 2 weeks after my move making me think they can hook me up at that address which they couldn't.  They then sent me a bill for me to be paying until about 3 or 4 weeks after my move.  I complained about that too and they said I was lucky they didn't change me 3 months because legally they could.

Did you cancel them because they can't provide at your new address?  When did you tell them you were moving?

Hi LeonG,

yes   i cancelled because they cannot provide the identical product at this address.

I cancelled the contract on 4th August and I moved on 30 th October . They apply the 3 months from date of moving instead date of cancellation of the contract,

Many thanks for your time  !!

It is possible that they are right because supposedly you were locked in a contract that renews every year so you can simply not cancel with 3 months notice just because you feel like it but you can cancel because you are moving and then it is possible that it's their right to take the moving date as the cancellation date.   In your shoes, I would write them a letter stating that you are very disappointed in their services as you would have loved to have stayed with them as a good customer and have always been happy with them but only cancelled after you found out that they would not be able to provide you services at your new address and that you did cancel with plenty of notice before your move.  If you are lucky, they will correct it and give you a partial refund but don't hold your breath.

I had an issue after moving as well. I ordered a service with one year minimum, when I moved address after 6 months they said it was a new contract for one year so the earliest cancellation date was moved to one year after the move.

I had an issue after moving as well. I ordered a service with one year minimum, when I moved address after 6 months they said it was a new contract for one year so the earliest cancellation date was moved to one year after the move.

Hi LeonG,

Thank you for your advice. Surely, though you can advise of a move, cancelling and provide the evidence of the move at a later date, as we have done. The actual moving date itself surely is arbitrary, the key point is the notice to cancel being given and the date it is given. They refer to the term "nachträgliche Kundigung", however they do not seem to be in the mood to compromise. Their accounts department put the phone down on me refusing to discuss the matter further. I will need to reply now officially in writing. Their letters do not got into much detail only repeating the same comments

Hi arsenal21,

Thank you for your comments. I think if they can provide the same service at the new address then they will have a point and you cannot break the contract until the minimum period is up. In my case Vodafone Kabel Deutschland did not offer the same cable service and could not offer the same product, indeed they were proposing an inferior, more expensive product at the new address.

Anyone could suggest legal aid for English speaking for a similar issue as those here in this topic?

Go to the Verbraicherzentrale... (at least I think that is what it is called)...

They can help with this kind of thing, and it is a cheaper first step than a lawyer - I am not sure any legal aid system would cover a contract issue like this.

Hi Cb6dba,

I did went to Verbraucher zentral , thank you for your suggestion !! they said we are right about the contract. They only write about 3 lines in a letter , even then it was not good enough because Vodafone disagree  again , I think they have not put the law clause on . I decided to write to complain department and now is all resolved . ( note:    I rang  vodafone about atleast  6 occasions and even go to the shops 3 times  , but 3 times the information were incorrect,  hence the Termination of the contract was more complicated)

Verbraucherzentrale cannot help unless we spoke German and conversed with them in German. 

They do speak English, but will not, cause their internal rules do not allow them to help non-German speaking!! 

Any other ideas? 

An English speaking lawyer then?  Although lawyers will charge you and in the end you might not have a leg to stand on.  I suppose you don't have legal insurance?

You are right, do not have legal insurance. I know there is info here on this forum about it - can't recall the topic, but will search. 

If you take out legal insurance now, I am not sure they will help you with an existing problem though.  You can try John G. or Starshollow.  They know everything there is to know about insurance.  Against a big company though, you know they have more money than you do so you are kind of stuck there.  You can write them letters and you can get lawyers and other people to write them letters but you know they have more lawyers than you'll ever have.

I wrote KD a fairly nasty long cancellation letter after they failed to provide me a connection at my new address and then took their sweet time dicking around too until they owned up that they couldn't provide.  They only charged me for a month after my move, a month that I wasn't getting any services though and I complained about that too but then they told me about the 3 month rule, actually a law, that they can charge you 3 months after your move, even if they can't provide any services at your new address.  So I was lucky it was only a month in my case.

However, the service level they give to business clients is something else.  When I was calling them trying to get hooked up, they were saying stuff like "for sure it will work tomorrow" and it took them a couple of weeks to send a guy out.  Now my boss was signing up with KD/Vodafone yesterday and they are sending a guy on Tuesday, the next working day after his order, to hook him up.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My case is similar to yours. At my new place, they do not provide service. I canceled and was willing to pay the 3 months notice, which I gave them actually in writing via e-mail. While having service with them, they sucked at my location. I had called numerous times, and since I am work from home, they messed up my work several times. I complained, but nothing was done to fix the chronic down times. I do not mind paying the 3 months notice cancelation, but that's it. They've sent me to a collection lawyer/agency, which adds on top of that and so on and so on. And to top it off, my german is as basic as it gets. 

I sent a PM to Starshollow, waiting for his reply. 

5 hours ago, Worldexpat said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. My case is similar to yours. At my new place, they do not provide service. I canceled and was willing to pay the 3 months notice, which I gave them actually in writing via e-mail. While having service with them, they sucked at my location. I had called numerous times, and since I am work from home, they messed up my work several times. I complained, but nothing was done to fix the chronic down times. I do not mind paying the 3 months notice cancelation, but that's it. They've sent me to a collection lawyer/agency, which adds on top of that and so on and so on. And to top it off, my german is as basic as it gets. 

I sent a PM to Starshollow, waiting for his reply. 

So they did not accept your cancellation?  Maybe the problem is that an email is not considered "in writing" in Germany.  A cancellation letter needs to be signed by yourself and sent per post or fax in order to be legit.

It appears they didn't. They insist that I have to pay them. Really strange situation, as our initial contract was for 2 years, and the contract I am canceling is not the initial. It seems that there is auto renewal for 1 year, but I am yet to figure out exactly where is that written in the original contract.