Cologne Station Sexual Assaults - How Can I Make My Voice Heard?

2,212 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

You are right not all immigrants are criminals. However we do not know the scale of this European rape epidemic. The authorities have lied and tried to protect the perpetrators rather than help the victim. 

Exactly!  Check this link out that says that Sweden and Denmark have the highest number of sexual assaults and from my understanding the Independent is not exactly a far right newspaper; they tend to have more liberal readers.  Now keep in mind, sexual assault does not necessarily include rape; it may be an ass grab but still it's not exactly good news when most women in your country experience it.  What do you guys think?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-and-denmark-have-highest-number-of-sexual-assaults-in-europe-a6800901.html

Scandinavian countries regard any form of unwanted attention as sexual assault, most other countries don't. So women who are affected aren't afraid to report it, whereas everywhere else they would be ignored. It doesn't mean that Scandinavia has higher incidents of assault than other countries, it means they take things more seriously.

1 hour ago, J0ker said:

As stated before, my concerns about these protests is that they tend to wash out the real problem.

By labeling regular law abiding citizens and even the AfD (which simply wants to copy Canada's point immigration system) as Nazis, they are alienating more and more people by the day.

@JOker, your comments about the Bloor subway made me a bit homesick just now!  :rolleyes:

You are right, this protest in and of itself will achieve very little.  However I think in the last week it has become clear that without the intense visibility given to this issue through various channels (social media being the key one that got the ball rolling) this could have been swept under the carpet; certainly that is what Merkel and the police would have preferred.  We have a Mainzer Erklaerung now, but I am not sure it will do the job.  Thus I personally think it is important to keep up the pressure using all available channels, to send a clear and unrelenting message that acts like this will not be tolerated.  I for one refuse to be a prisoner in my home because of these bad apples, and I would imagine that German women feel the same. 

Your comments about Canada's points-based immigration system and the AfD is a very important one and I think one that everyone needs to be aware of. In Canada, we don't let people immigrate willy nilly...there is a very stringent screening process which I suspect is why we don't have these sorts of issues.  I don't think it would occur to anyone to label Canadians as "right wing" for doing what to me is something very logical, i.e. an alignment of resource intake with skill requirements and indirectly, with Canadian values in order to optimize the outcomes, not just for Canada but also for the immigrants.  

Interestingly, I am also getting the sense that the refugees who are now starting to flow into Canada are comprised mostly of families, and not single men.  Please don't quote me on this though, I need to research it to see if it is in fact so, or just a misleading impression that the media is giving me.  That in and of itself would most likely constitute a form of screening at the refugee level too, since I suspect men with their families with them would be less inclined to commit these sorts of acts of violence.  It would be interesting to see how many of the accused who were in fact refugees had wives and children waiting back at the refugee centre on New Year's Eve.

Anyways time to get ready to head out - luckily it's a beautiful day out there today!

I have sympathy towards the REAL refugees, but the authorities have been very naiive allowing thousands of unaccompanied military aged males to enter unchecked into Europe. Any country where there is a skewed ratio of males to females has a serious problem like the one seen in Cologne and other cities across Europe.

What concerns me the most is that this may really be the tip of the iceburg. When I saw that the majority of people coming in where unaccompanied military aged males alarm bells went off in my head. It kind of reminded me of the Greek story of the trojan horse. Also IS even said they would send their soldiers in through the influx of refugees and yet this warning seemed to fall on deaf ears.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/555434/Islamic-State-ISIS-Smuggler-THOUSANDS-Extremists-into-Europe-Refugees

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3279094/A-close-shave-Terrified-jihadists-leave-BEARDS-battlefield-shave-faces-dress-women-flee-Syria.html

4 hours ago, J0ker said:

By labeling regular law abiding citizens and even the AfD (which simply wants to copy Canada's point immigration system) as Nazis, they are alienating more and more people by the day.

Agreed.

I'm no AfD fan. I think they are populists who lack any depth and they cannot articulate an economic programme for the love of God. 

But, when:

- the country's second largest (most voted) party and one of the ruling parties (SPD, that is), demands that a secret service spies on the activities of another legally-constituted political party AND

- the coalition partners of said party (CDU-CSU, in this case) are all pretending they never heard this outrageous suggestion AND

- the general public isn't demanding that a party making such totalitarian remarks gets kicked out of government, if not of political life,

then the country as a whole has a problem.

20 minutes ago, airwave said:

- the general public isn't demanding that a party making such totalitarian remarks gets kicked out of government, if not of political life,

One of the main issues here is that the country (parliament) is being led from behind.

Any statements (=wishful thinking) from CDU (plus occasionally SPD) to do anything is pulled down by the Greens & Linkies (with whom the SPD hope to rule in the future) who shout loudly about right-wing extremists (backed up my the media in general) .

IMHO its the behaviour of the Greens & Linkies who are a significant factor in the apparent move to the right (for the Linkies anything to the right of the SPD is an extremist).  What happens at an election is anyone's guess.

8 hours ago, airwave said:

There are two options:

- CDU and SPD don't agree: Merkel falls, early elections before the summer, interim cabinet until then; the interim cabinet will have no choice but to be strong on law and order

IMHO the REAL problem is that for years the courts are far too weak (protect the villian rather than the victim) and the legal system is set up to drag things out endlessly (& thus expensively).  This must be fixed & I have little confidence that this will happen.

2 hours ago, J0ker said:

@Andrea and TorontoLady - I wish you all the best at this protest; something has to get done about this and I think it's only going to get worse.  Growing up in a single mom household, being married to a wonderful woman and having a little girl on the way has given me a better understanding on what women go through.  In my early 20s, I used to ride the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) care free at night without much thought about my personal safety since I felt safe.  I'm a big guy and unless a group of armed thugs surrounded me (unlikely along Toronto's Bloor St.), I had nothing to worry about.  I never had to worry about some sleazebag jumping on me, let alone hundreds of them.  My mother and my wife have given me a view from their perspective; just because they do not have my physical strength and athleticism doesn't mean, they should be left to the wolves; nobody should.

As stated before, my concerns about these protests is that they tend to wash out the real problem.  Protesting sexual assault in general is great but the thing is that it's already illegal and 99 % of people are against it.  Demanding that the perpetrators be punished and deported and that the influx of unchecked young Middle Eastern men masquerading as refugees be stopped and controlled is getting to the root of the problem.  However by doing so you risk being called a fascist and then we have an even bigger problem.  In any other period in history, such crap would not be tolerated; it's not to impossible to secure the borders and deport the bad apples.  A little not so rich country called Hungary has proven it.  However the real challenge are the obstacles at home; Antifa fascists, the politicians, the press and a good part of the "progressive" German population will harshly protest that we secure our borders or deport the bad guys.

Another problem lies in the fact that the great majority of these young Muslim men that participated in the sexual assault are not even radical Islamists.  They're not the Jihad Joes of the Paris attacks; I'll willing to bet they wouldn't should "Allahu akbar" if you pointed a gun at them.  They simply grew up in a misogynistic society and are used to treating women like dirt.  If we are take to millions of them in, then we have a problem, we have a HUGE problem.  And what's worse about having a huge problem is having one and not even recognizing it, which is precisely what the left is doing.  By labeling regular law abiding citizens and even the AfD (which simply wants to copy Canada's point immigration system) as Nazis, they are alienating more and more people by the day.

I miss Toronto? and I take back all the negative things I've ever said about the TTC ?

Lately I have been avoiding getting out of the house to avoid any profiling and dirty looks. As a Canadian with Middle Eastern roots I occasionally have individuals jumping to conclusions on how I arrived here and what my intentions are. Once I explain that I've moved here for work I can physically see the tension disappear and a more relaxed look take over their face. 

I wish everyone rallying today a productive a safe event. 

Looking forward to seeing the BBC interview with our very own TT user. 

8 minutes ago, HEM said:

IMHO the REAL problem is that for years the courts are far too weak (protect the villian rather than the victim) and the legal system is set up to drag things out endlessly (& thus expensively).  This must be fixed & I have little confidence that this will happen.

This Mainzer Erklärung is supposedly aimed at changing this. Whether that will happen remains to be seen.

I said in September-October that the judicial system needs to work quicker, in the first place. I was shouted down.

15 minutes ago, HEM said:

One of the main issues here is that the country (parliament) is being led from behind.

Any statements (=wishful thinking) from CDU (plus occasionally SPD) to do anything is pulled down by the Greens & Linkies (with whom the SPD hope to rule in the future) who shout loudly about right-wing extremists (backed up my the media in general) .

IMHO its the behaviour of the Greens & Linkies who are a significant factor in the apparent move to the right (for the Linkies anything to the right of the SPD is an extremist).  What happens at an election is anyone's guess.

The NYE attacks are a litmus test for all parties. Paris attacks should have been - but it was "remote", in a sense; the day-to-day issues should have been - but they were dismissed as "cultural misunderstandings". Now it has gone to a point of no return.

I think any party which doesn't unequivocally condemn the attacks AND takes / supports action to prevent them from happening by whatever legal means necessary will lose greatly. And this is where the SPD might finally decide to get their heads out of sand - either they alienate the Linke/Gruene or the big mass of voters.

16 minutes ago, airwave said:

This Mainzer Erklärung is supposedly aimed at changing this.

Any Erklärung is a "Paper Tiger" as Chairman Mao used to say.

Whether that will happen remains to be seen.

Agreed

I said in September-October that the judicial system needs to work quicker, in the first place. I was shouted down.

It needs a major reform & I don't see that happening after far too many years of "liberalisation".

The situation is not unique to Germany but with the "guilt" factor added things are even worse.

Anyhow, I'm off for a bit of local Multi-Kulti - lunch at a newly-opened nearby Chinese restaurent :)

Aye. The judicial system in many countries has become some sort of shrink, trying to find excuses and explanations for the acts of the criminals.

Looks like the people still back Merkel.

Mass rapes throughout Europe, Paris attacker living in a German refugee camp, and the public still would vote for Merkel.

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/inland/wahlumfrage-spd-faellt-auf-zwei-jahres-tief-14006468.html

AfD lost 1 % and SPD lost 2%.  CDU unchanged on 39%.

Maybe this is the new Germany where the term rape will be changed to misunderstanding and we all had better get used to it.

7 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

There are a few things about the poll:

- the question on voting intention was asked on 5th and 6th of January, before the full extent of the NYE mess became widely known;

- the question on the upper limit for refugee intake said (shortened): "do you agree with the 200k/year figure as a limit? (yes/no)" -- a "no" can mean either the respondent wants a higher limit (500k, 1 million, 5 million, no limit at all) or that the respondent wants a lower limit (100k, 10k, zero).

26 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Looks like the people still back Merkel.

Apparently, this is the moment when Angela found out that the people still love her but hate her "policy".  

Angela.jpg.4384a4093775564e7067901c91945

3 hours ago, Allershausen said:

Scandinavian countries regard any form of unwanted attention as sexual assault, most other countries don't. So women who are affected aren't afraid to report it, whereas everywhere else they would be ignored. It doesn't mean that Scandinavia has higher incidents of assault than other countries, it means they take things more seriously.

I'll take your point that sexual harassment and assault is more reported in Denmark and Sweden than elsewhere but I believe this study deals with assault, not harassment as there is a difference between the two.

Sexual harassment example - coming up to a somebody that you don't have sexual relations with and telling him/her to perform oral sex on you without the use of force

Sexual assault example - grabbing a woman or a even man's breasts or genitals without consent

But I've also heard from several sources that there is a rape epidemic in Sweden and from I've heard it's actual rape, not smile rape (I guess by that definition I have a fetish for old grannies because there is a senior home close to me and I smile at old people all the time) but actual forced sexual intercourse.  I've also been to Sweden only once so I'm not an expert but it wouldn't surprise me once I heard about the Cologne cover up story.

2 hours ago, airwave said:

Amen to that.

I'm no AfD fan. I think they are populists who lack any depth and they cannot articulate an economic programme for the love of God. 

But, when:

- the country's second largest (most voted) party and one of the ruling parties (SPD, that is), demands that a secret service spies on the activities of another legally-constituted political party AND

- the coalition partners of said party (CDU-CSU, in this case) are all pretending they never heard this outrageous suggestion AND

Honestly I don't know who else there is to vote for (I can't vote on the federals so I guess my opinion doesn't matter :-)) but I see no other alternative.  Unlike what the establishment wants you to believe, AfD does NOT equal NPD.  Most of us are expats and immigrants here so voting for a party that's against all immigration would not make sense but we want to live in a stable country where our tax money does not fund these types of attacks.

2 hours ago, TorontoExpatLady said:

@JOker, your comments about the Bloor subway made me a bit homesick just now!  :rolleyes:

You are right, this protest in and of itself will achieve very little.  However I think in the last week it has become clear that without the intense visibility given to this issue through various channels (social media being the key one that got the ball rolling) this could have been swept under the carpet; certainly that is what Merkel and the police would have preferred.  We have a Mainzer Erklaerung now, but I am not sure it will do the job.  Thus I personally think it is important to keep up the pressure using all available channels, to send a clear and unrelenting message that acts like this will not be tolerated.  I for one refuse to be a prisoner in my home because of these bad apples, and I would imagine that German women feel the same. 

Your comments about Canada's points-based immigration system and the AfD is a very important one and I think one that everyone needs to be aware of. In Canada, we don't let people immigrate willy nilly...there is a very stringent screening process which I suspect is why we don't have these sorts of issues.  I don't think it would occur to anyone to label Canadians as "right wing" for doing what to me is something very logical, i.e. an alignment of resource intake with skill requirements and indirectly, with Canadian values in order to optimize the outcomes, not just for Canada but also for the immigrants.  

Interestingly, I am also getting the sense that the refugees who are now starting to flow into Canada are comprised mostly of families, and not single men.  Please don't quote me on this though, I need to research it to see if it is in fact so, or just a misleading impression that the media is giving me.  That in and of itself would most likely constitute a form of screening at the refugee level too, since I suspect men with their families with them would be less inclined to commit these sorts of acts of violence.  It would be interesting to see how many of the accused who were in fact refugees had wives and children waiting back at the refugee centre on New Year's Eve.

Anyways time to get ready to head out - luckily it's a beautiful day out there today!

The thing about our immigration system is that it's pretty strict as you said but at the same time it sounds PC.  I think you're right about the refugees in Canada consisting of families; I'm not sure either but my mother told me about a month ago that Trudeau is not willing to take single young men.  He apparently wants to take those that are at risk the most, meaning women, children, families etc.

1 minute ago, J0ker said:

Honestly I don't know who else there is to vote for (I can't vote on the federals so I guess my opinion doesn't matter :-)) but I see no other alternative.  Unlike what the establishment wants you to believe, AfD does NOT equal NPD.  Most of us are expats and immigrants here so voting for a party that's against all immigration would not make sense but we want to live in a stable country where our tax money does not fund these types of attacks.

Or we can take our tax money elsewhere. ;)

The fun goes on:

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article150809612/15-Jaehrige-von-Syrer-und-Iraker-sexuell-belaestigt.htm

"15-Jährige von Syrer und Iraker sexuell belästigt
Nach den Übergriffen an Silvester hat es in Düsseldorf wieder einen Fall von sexueller Belästigung gegeben. Zwei Männer bedrängten ein junges Mädchen. Die Polizei veröffentlichte den Fall nicht.
Eine junge Frau wurde am Hauptbahnhof Düsseldorf belästigt
In Nordrhein-Westfalen hat es nach den sexuellen Übergriffen in Köln im Hauptbahnhof Düsseldorf am 6. Januar erneut einen krassen Vorfall gegeben. Nach Informationen der "Welt am Sonntag" wurde in der Landeshauptstadt ein 15-jähriges Mädchen auf einer Sitzbank am Ende des Bahnsteigs von Gleis 16 von zwei Männern nachts sexuell belästigt."

The German Secretary of State for International Development said that only 10% of the people that planned to come to Germany are already here. The future will be challenging.