Cologne Station Sexual Assaults - How Can I Make My Voice Heard?

2,212 posts in this topic

Fellow Canadian Female here, kudos for your post!

I was also outraged about the event and have been really disappointed with the reaction of my country of adoption. I always thought that German women were very assertive, I thought they would be up in arms about the incident. I am shocked about the reaction, and honestly your post is the only one that levels with my own indignation. The Mayor's comment to stay "at arms length" is so 50 years backwards, I am saddened that such a women in a powerful position could make such an insensitive anti-feminist comment. 

On the other hand, the terror threat in Munich, this incident in Cologne, the possible repercussions during Cologne Carnival might start to shake up the German people. These threats are having an impact on German cultural traditions that date back hundreds of years. If these happy social gatherings become tainted with fear, I do believe that German people will stand up and ask the government to take more serious actions.

If something like this happened to me, I would use social media and contact Al Jazeera. For some reason, I put more trust in Al Jazeera reporting than local german news and even BBC.

2 minutes ago, RainyDays said:

The slow reaction of police and politicians after the fact may be worthy of criticism, but I don't share the suspicion of an attempted "coverup". A lot of victims only came forth with delay (understandably), so the scale of the occurences emerged progressively, and details of the events such as the identity of the perpetrators are still under investigation.

They were in some cases not even believed.  You see the OP stating that after hearing this story from an eye witness on Sunday before it entered the news that she and others present did not believe that this happened.

1 hour ago, TorontoExpatLady said:

Needless to say we thought she was off her rocker (this is Germany after all) and politely changed the topic to something more palatable.

One of the women who was also there and who was interviewed on TV yesterday said that she went to the police the next day to press charges and they refused to take her statement on sexual assault and only filed it as theft.  After the story broke loose, she went back to the police and then they agreed to add sexual assault to her statement.

43 minutes ago, TorontoExpatLady said:

Isn't exactly that sort of head-in-the-sand behaviour which let the whole Nazi thing happen in the first place because no one took the initiative to speak up against what was happening to the Jewish population?  Or do they all prefer to sit on their sofas and watch Tatort and hope it all blows over (I'll bet this is what Merkel is hoping, but then again to the best of my knowledge no stranger shoved a finger into any of her orifices on New Year's Eve).

I really think that most German politicians are ostriches sticking their heads in the sand and hoping it'll blow over; none of the mainstream politicians have the balls to stand up and take a strong stand. I also find the comments by the mayor incredibly offensive and am appalled that she is not being criticised for them.

My question to all of you is how can I make my voice heard in a meaningful way to vehemently protest against this act of violence against women without getting into the whole issue of who did it and why, which I am probably somewhat naively hoping the authorities can sort out?

From the reports that I've read there were too many attackers for them to have much chance of successfully identifying the individuals involved, which makes me worried that these incidents will continue.

I have thought of starting a petition and of writing to my MP (which given my horrible German skills will no doubt not be taken seriously), but am open to any suggestions as to how one can make oneself heard in this country. 

I've been thinking along the same lines, the question is how best to frame the letters. I don't think plain outrage is going to make much difference.

4 minutes ago, RainyDays said:

The slow reaction of police and politicians after the fact may be worthy of criticism, but I don't share the suspicion of an attempted "coverup".

And the comments by the mayor? Do you really think that we should be held accountable if anything happens to us because we haven't managed to keep an arm's length distance from the crowd!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

38 minutes ago, vmelchers said:

The Mayor's comment to stay "at arms length" is so 50 years backwards, I am saddened that such a women in a powerful position could make such an insensitive anti-feminist comment. 

Why "50 years backwards"? Did anyone ever tell your grandmother back in Canada to stay "at arm's length" from men?

I guess "500 years backwards" would be more accurate.

PS: imagine how the "refugees welcome" crowd would have reacted if the Mayor had instead called on young North African/Arab men to stay at arm's length from our women, "or else".

12 minutes ago, lapsus alumni said:

PS: imagine how the "refugees welcome" crowd would have reacted if the Mayor had instead called on young North African/Arab men to stay at arm's length from our women.

They ARE staying at an arms length, may be a bit shorter than that. The problem is, they are staying so all over the public places.

Someone tell this lady Wrecker that women in a modern democratic society should be able to do whatever they want without fear of grope / rape.

24 minutes ago, RainyDays said:

one has to take into account the usual mayhem at New Year's Eve at public places.

This is not a "usual" phenomenon committed by the "usual" suspects.

It is a phenomenon which is new to Germany, and which was committed by a group of imported perpetrators who are known to have aggressive tendencies and misogynist attitudes.

Engelchen, I'm also intrigued about the mayor's further suggestions. The one about the arm's length might have something to do with her recent personal experience of being stabbed on the street. And without wanting to put the blame on the victims, it is a fact that such attacks often happen when the victims are off-guard. Being at the main station of a big city at night, one has to expect meeting not only nice people, unfortunately.

It would be nice if they said they will deport everybody they catch but until then try to be careful but they are not offering any solution.  Just that our guests will continue doing what they feel like and everybody else has to watch out.  If everybody starts to be careful of our guests, you know they will just find new methods.

Am I the only one that feels so pissed about what's happening in this country?

I'm ready to go out and make my voice heard!