Jobs in Bremen

11 posts in this topic

Moin moin

I moved to Bremen from Scotland a few months ago and now it is time for me to start looking for a job. Has anyone had any experience with jobs where speaking German isn't an absolute necessity at the beginning? Or know of an agency that can help? I've been taking a German class since I got here, so I'm getting the hang of the language, but it's still a pretty daunting thought. I've got 5 years of accounts/office experience

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Vielen Dank

49 minutes ago, HayleyK said:

I moved to Bremen from Scotland a few months ago

How long have you been here? Do you have German health insurance?

Many EU citizens moving to Germany don't realise that in order to take advantage of their Freedom of Movement rights as an EU citizen that they need to also comply with local requirements for residents  (if you have a spouse with public health insurance in Germany and don't have much of an income, you're probably insured through your spouse).

49 minutes ago, HayleyK said:

Has anyone had any experience with jobs where speaking German isn't an absolute necessity at the beginning? Or know of an agency that can help? I've been taking a German class since I got here, so I'm getting the hang of the language, but it's still a pretty daunting thought. I've got 5 years of accounts/office experience

If you can follow simple instructions in German, try the temp agencies such as Manpower, Olympia, ZAG, etc. Once you reach about C1/C2 German you can also try EuroLondon for multilingual office jobs.

I've said this before but if you have any sort of tourism in your city then hit up the local tourist office.

They may know of someone who needs or may need someone themselves as an English speaking tour guide.

I'm from Glasgow and now starting my 3rd season as an English speaking guide (self employed) in Bayern and my German still needs a lot of work.

Failing that, engelchen has it pretty much covered. There are always vacancies for pizza toppers in the local frozen food factory.

Or in my case packing boxes.

However, the chances are you will never go back to doing what you did back home. There are lots of reasons for this.

Your German will probably never be good enough is one main reason.

The other is that the vast majority of  German school kids will get an apprenticeship. Mainly because unlike the UK it is bloody difficult to get to University due to the streamed school system.here. And tens of thousands of smart kids leave school each year and enter the job market which mostly apprentices them.

Not just brickies and plumbers, but waiters, hairdressers, accounts clerks, finance officers, HR officers. Most office jobs for school leavers are apprenticed. And after 2 or 3 years they have an official qualification.

Qualifications are the Holy Grail here. Experience comes a poor second to the paper that says you have trained in the subject.

And only those with the qualification for the job will get the job.

Take what you can get at the moment. Work on your German. Try to look for some form of self employment (other than tour guiding).

I hope you have some German speaking support, if not for the language then for the bloody paperwork.

Coming here is a big leap. Germany is so different from Scotland. It will be difficult but if you are prepared to let most of your old life go there is a new one waiting, you just need to be ready for it when it comes along.

ps

always file your tax return, even if you are employed. You will get money back.

Keep learning German.  It is rare to find a job where only  English is required.   Just speaking English with little ability to fluently correspond verbally or in writing in German is a handicap and you are competing against Germans or others who have two or maybe 3 languages even if they aren't fluent in English they are, in German!  You just have to find a niche job where an English speaker is preferred.  In Bremen you have the big international companies, export and shipping companies  who knows, perhaps your experience in these areas plus your English language skills might be sought after there.

Have you done a job search on the Jobbörse - Stellenangebote on the website of the (Arbeitsamt) Bundesagentur für Arbeit? You can define your search criteria.

The tourist suggestion was also good but since all the refugees have arrived you might find something interesting and useful in Refugee Management...

Perfect, thank you very much guys. I will look into all your suggestions

I've been learning German for 3 months, will finish the A1 course in mid February. I don't mind if I can't work in an office again, I'm happy to do anything that will pay the bills. Being surrounded by people speaking German but not having to be fully conversational is my main goal at the moment.

So thank you all very much. Have a good new year tonight!!

IMHO, maybe you are being a bit over-ambitious here. With just A1, it's quite difficult to say 3 sentences to a shopkeeper. Like the others have said, put all your efforts into the language at the moment. I'm assuming that you moved to Germany because of your spouse or some personal reason. If you have a decent financial support till you can be a little confident about your language skills (of course you could look for jobs in the meantime), that would be perfect. ^_^

On 2015-12-31, 3:14:27, HayleyK said:

I've been learning German for 3 months, will finish the A1 course in mid February.

Four months for A1 is rather long. You should look into intensive lessons.

I don't mind if I can't work in an office again, I'm happy to do anything that will pay the bills.

Do you have any formal qualifications?

Being surrounded by people speaking German but not having to be fully conversational is my main goal at the moment.

With only A1 I think you're going to have difficulty finding strangers willing to try to have a conversation with you. If you want to practice German try looking for a tandem partner who wants to practice English.

Yeah, I am doing the intensive course but we had some teacher problems at the start, so with missed classes added on, plus October and Christmas holidays, we don't finish until Feb. I go to crafty evening classes with people who are happy to let me babble away and correct me. I was really just looking to get some advice on here for jobs, as I'm sure I'm not the first person with an inadequate grasp on German that needs a job :)

28 minutes ago, HayleyK said:

I'm sure I'm not the first person with an inadequate grasp on German that needs a job :)

Right you are, sir. I was also on your boat once.

Hello everyone!

I just posted adds for assistant and head teachers for an English speaking daycare in Bremen.  Applicants need to have experience working with children and appropriate qualifications.  Have a look at these in the "Adds" section.

Best regards!