is it legal to carry this knife

79 posts in this topic

And yet that was a young policeman's suggestion when I reported a couple of young men had tried to enter my locked house at midnight!  "Maybe you could keep a large knife by your bed", he said with a straight face.

Yeah - whose side was he on:  the bad guys, or a 78-year-old tax-payer?

28 minutes ago, katheliz said:

And yet that was a young policeman's suggestion when I reported a couple of young men had tried to enter my locked house at midnight!  "Maybe you could keep a large knife by your bed", he said with a straight face.

I would assume if he was young, that he must have been really new to the job. As similar thing happened to a woman we know and she said her friend from the police said she should not have something like that and if she felt she needed anything, pepper-spray was the way to go to disable them and shut yourself in another room while you call the police. Playing hero unless you are properly trained is more than dangerous.

On 12/31/2015, 12:07:13, TraceKira said:

Thanx. I bought it and carry in my jeans pocket. Feels great , easy to deploy with a flick of finger and hard to be taken off your hand.

So you are now carrying a Karambit knife illegally - good to know and we can all hope that you get stopped, searched and deported ( or locked up )

Wow... I have never encountered so much mass ignorance before. From general public to 'cops'

LET ME CLEAR THIS UP FOR YOU.

While a lot of you make some good points, you are misled by your skewed statements. Here are some of the facts.

1. Your knife can be used against you
2. Pulling a knife out when someone confronts you is a bad idea

3. You can easily kill someone with a knife and spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter

4. There may come a moment where you die alone in the mud because you didn't have a knife

On 12/29/2015, 10:21:07, Erdmann said:

(I have no idea why you would want to do that though). I couldn't find a law stating explicitly about pocket knives. If they are categorised as weapons, it's a different case.

A knife is a very handy tool, this one obviously has limited usefulness in that category but still can be incredibly useful. Secondly, Hopefully you never find yourself in a situation where you need one but even more hopefully should you find yourself in a situation where you are seconds from death and a knife could save your life that you do in fact have on in your grasp... These blades arent categorised as weapons unless they can be opened with one hand or have a double sided blade or other similar combat focused vicious features.

On 12/30/2015, 6:52:41, robinson100 said:

Just in case you are thinking of one along the lines of self-defense, DO NOT buy it!  Such a weapon can easily be turned against the owner, and cause serious injury/death.

This knife in particular is recommended for self defence by defence experts due to the deep finger grooves and ring and the bottim for your finger making it very difficult to grab our slap out of your hand. Also the curved angle of the blade is specifically useful for extreme close quarters combat where you may have only a couple of centimetres between your body and the body of your attacker

On 12/30/2015, 7:38:54, Illic said:

This is a switchblade knife, right? So, according to the link from Mr. G you may not carry it ("Messer mit einhändig feststellbarer Klinge").

It's not.

On 12/30/2015, 8:31:36, More tea, Vicar? said:

Why do you want to carry this knife in your pocket in Germany?  Or anywhere else, for that matter?

For those life or death situations we all think we won't encounter until we do. I had my life altering near death attack 75 hours ago, hence my motivation here,.

On 12/30/2015, 10:32:05, cb6dba said:

Any reason you feel the need to carry such a knife?

If you are worried about yourself, I would guess you would be better making sure you never get into a situation where you feel you would have to use it.

Using it could land you in trouble.

I nearly died 30m from an aldi at 8am in broad daylight. Tell me how I could avoid that. Your ignorance makes my blood curdle.

On 12/30/2015, 10:57:46, More tea, Vicar? said:

Just reading between the lines, maybe his girlfriend feels threatened?

Still, couldn't agree with you more. Carrying weapons means you get hurt.

Carrying weapons does not mean you get hurt and it may be the only thing that saves your life. No one here said pull a knife and rush at a mugger when he asks for you wallet. Grow up. When I was on the ground in a headlock barely able to move my body. When I could still breathe I yelled "I GIVE UP! I GIVE UP! I GIVE UP! I GIVE UP!" and I put my hands open out in front of me and didnt struggle as a show of surrender. He didn't care. He could have taken my wallet freely and he knew it. Little did I know this attack would go on for what felt like days. His grip tightened around my neck. First I couldn't talk anymore and just gurgle but still gasp bits of air. Still tighter he choked me. My tongue pushed forward in my mouth from choking before the headlock tightened and my jaws clamped down onto my own tongue and my mouth started filling with blood. Now unable to breathe at all. Lungs spasming and bursting trying to function. Luckily I couldn't choke on the blood because my airway was blocked. After some time I began losing strength in my muscles and my vision getting blurry from lack of oxygen to the brain. I came to realise that these were my last moments of life. I was going to die right here on the ground. Im going to die for an empty wallet and a shitty phone I thought. I focused for a second and with all the strength I had left in every muscle fibre in my body I struggled and I think I caught him just a second off-guard and managed to break my head lose. Then the face of a muslim man came into view and he said 'give me money, give me money' I showed him my empty wallet and gave him my phone. He walked casually in one direction and I ran in the other direction looking in terror behind me.

I lived, but only barely. Only because I am strong and lucky. a Karambit in my pocket would have made a world of difference. Pepper spray is of no use because he was behind me and he guarded his face behind my head. A stab to his thigh or to the arm around my neck. Wow. I will carry a knife until the day I die from now on. It's not about pulling the knife out as a preventative measure or to show off or to scare someone. It's that last resort when it comes down those last seconds before dying.

On 12/30/2015, 10:58:44, Smaug said:

It probably inspires him confidence to carry such a 'bad-boy blade'. We all like feeling good about ourselves: our fancy apartment, the clothes we wear, the great job with the big salary, our looks, the gorgeous wife/husband/BF/GF adorning our arm... Maybe the OP has none of this and carrying a weapon is a way of boosting his self confidence, make him feel more powerful, but honestly, this thing just screams 'trailer trash' right left and center.

As mentioned it's the most recommended style of knife for self-defence by self defence experts, the funny shape is purely intentional and situational

On 12/30/2015, 11:05:37, portiabelmonte8 said:

The knife in question is a karambit, i.e. a fighting knife. The blade shape makes is  impracticable for anything else. Since self-defense is not accepted as justification you would probably have a hard time explaining to the law why you carry that knife.

I agree the knife does appear somewhat aggressive but even if I did injure or even accidentally kill someone someone i'd rather risk being put in a metal cage than a definitely going into a wooden box... Sometimes there are no good options. Only least worst ones, and if it comes down to me or him. I'm going to try my hardest to make sure its not me.

On 12/30/2015, 2:51:26, zwiebelfisch said:

Im pretty sure he doesnt want it as a weapon.  Whilst of course it could be used as such it would be a dreadful choice.  That is clearly a style above function "toy".  Yes yes i know you could kill someone with it but you would do 10 times better with a basic kitchen knife for about 5 bucks.

You straight up have no idea what you're talking about

On 12/31/2015, 1:31:53, dessa_dangerous said:

+1 and exactly what I was thinking.  You'd be better off with a brick in your pocket, or perhaps a banana, a pointed stick, or a box of raspberries.

http://youtu.be/4bCyIAsSid8?t=23s

A brick is slow and easy to dodge (inertia) aside from being hard to grip

On 12/31/2015, 12:16:06, franklan said:

OK, some @sshole with a steel rod asks you to hand over your wallet, and you deploy that knife with a flick of finger. What a brilliant plan.

1.) You won't flick fingers anymore in the near future as steel rods are pretty effective in turning hands into pulp.

2.) He gets what he wanted in the first place: Your wallet.

3.) He also gets a knife.

4.) He also gets the "one in a life time chance" to reenact that "Cutting a swastika into someone's forehead" scene from that Tarantino flic.

See you mislead yourself, no one said any of these things you are insinuating. Do you also assume all toaster owners use them while in the bath? LAST. RESORT.

On 12/31/2015, 12:34:47, Mr.G said:

So you are going to stab them or what?

So you are going to stab him or what?

Guessing one out of three right isn't too bad

So you are going to stab them or what?

And your answer is to buy a knife ... dumbass

You're so ignorant you should be thankful breathing is a sub-conscious bodily function

On 12/31/2015, 12:40:37, TraceKira said:

You can do what you want , but i hope u wont get in the situation when someone tries to kill you on the streets for no reason and you can not defend yourself

I hear you man, people are so blind until they see it for themselves.

On 12/31/2015, 12:54:12, Mr.G said:

I will

I won't

I don't need a knife to defend myself.

Enjoy your knife and the false sense of security it gives you for the short time you have it 

On 12/31/2015, 2:54:52, LeonG said:

I once had a female classmate who lived in a rather bad neighbourhood.  After getting robbed 3 times in less than a year, not even at night, just going to the grocery store in broad daylight for example, she got pepper spray.  I asked her if she'd used it and she said yes and it works, it startles the attacker and gives you time to run away and get into a public place.

IMO, if you pull a knife and aren't a trained fighter, you'd probably just get it taken away from you by your attacker and end up getting cut with it yourself.

Tasers are blocked by clothing and pepper spray by line of sight. As already mentioned this knife is designed not to be snatched and only used as a last resort.

On 12/31/2015, 3:03:25, RelativeDimensions said:

This, this, a thousand times this!

Knife-fighting is not as easy as it looks in the movies. 

I agree it's difficult and people need to train with their weapons, this includes not only knives but pepper spray and tasers and kubotans and general body control 

On 12/31/2015, 5:55:19, robinson100 said:

oh well, finally something hard in his pocket :o

Seriously Tracekira, you are likely to end up getting seriously injured. Leave that damned thing at home when you go out!

I hope you never find yourself in a situation like I and many other found themselves.

On 1/2/2016, 5:37:00, Mr.G said:

Look what Indiana Jones did to a guy carrying a big knife

Did you know this was actually unscripted and he did it this way because he had bad diarrhea and just had to go shit. Classic movie moments made from illness haha

On 1/2/2016, 10:53:42, EnglishKay said:

I'm all for defending yourself, thats why I always carry pepper spray with me and I agree that these are scary times. Anyone that reads/watchs the news can tell you that but what happens when someone that looks abit like a refugee/or is a refugee bumps into this guy by accident and he gets knifed to death. I think you have to be really careful when walking the streets with a knife.

Pepper Spraying an innocent person sucks, but there still alive at the end of the day. You need to be super sure when using a knife. Really though, I'm pretty scared myself these days, just keep your wits about you, if you have any.

Everyone everyone everyone of you is so blind to think that if someone sneezes on the train hes going to slit everyones in the carriages throat... really? You cant all be so daft right?

On 1/3/2016, 4:54:25, JG52 said:

Having read the entire thread, the only recommendation I can offer now that you have the knife is to tie a long cord to the loop in the handle of the knife.  This will make it easier to find and remove when someone takes it from you and shoves it up your ass...if you are lucky.

I  was a cop for over a decade, and saw plenty of examples of cowboys like you who wanted the perfect weapon to protect themselves from any potential attacker.  A knife is a close combat weapon, and as others have stated, if you are not trained in how to use edged weapons, you will become your own liability the first time you pull a knife to make a stand instead of using your feet to make a retreat.

I'm glad you are an ex-cop because you bring shame on the police force. What kind of bullshit are you spewing? Cop my ass... Maybe you wore the uniform and had the salary but you are not a credit to the police force. "tie a long cord to the loop in the handle of the knife.  This will make it easier to find and remove when someone takes it from you and shoves it up your ass..."

No one said use a knife instead of running. The mass ignorance here is unbelievable. I thought toytowngermany was a respectable forum. You are all just keyboard warriors.

On 1/3/2016, 7:18:50, PLS said:

11 minutes ago, Jesse Jukic said:

I thought toytowngermany was a respectable forum. You are all just keyboard warriors.

Ah, I see where you went wrong.

@Jesse Jukic - welcome to Toytown and I hope that you venting here is a good step in starting to come to grips with the trauma that you have so recently experienced.  I do suggest that you seek additional help in whatever form you feel most appropriate (counseling, talking with friends, etc.) to keep the healing process moving forward.  You also might want to take a look at the OP's full posting profile to get a feel for the tone of the responses here though ...

The guy comes here and literally insults a bunch of people who were making polite comments and then he calls us keyboard warriors.

27 minutes ago, chooyo said:

@Jesse Jukic

You also might want to take a look at the OP's full posting profile to get a feel for the tone of the responses here though ...

You can find the original poster's other threads here: http://www.google.de/search?q=TraceKira+site%3Atoytowngermany.com

Please read them and then please come back here and tell us whether you still think that he's the kind of person you would want in good conscience running around with a knife.

25 minutes ago, Jesse Jukic said:

While a lot of you make some good points, you are misled by your skewed statements. Here are some of the facts.

1. Your knife can be used against you
2. Pulling a knife out when someone confronts you is a bad idea

3. You can easily kill someone with a knife and spend the rest of your life in jail for manslaughter

4. There may come a moment where you die alone in the mud because you didn't have a knife

26 minutes ago, Jesse Jukic said:

Carrying weapons does not mean you get hurt and it may be the only thing that saves your life.

Is it just me or do these seem to be contradictory?

30 minutes ago, Jesse Jukic said:

LET ME CLEAR THIS UP FOR YOU.

Resuscitating a thread that has been dead since more than a year is more like "LET ME STIR THIS UP FOR YOU"...

30 minutes ago, Jesse Jukic said:

I nearly died 30m from an aldi at 8am in broad daylight. Tell me how I could avoid that. Your ignorance makes my blood curdle.

Given that the post of mine your quoted was form December 2015 (or so the quote says) I don't think I need to bother going back and reading the thread to get back up to speed.

Damn it Jim, I am an IT consultant, not a forensic thread pathologist.

11 minutes ago, Krieg said:

The guy comes here and literally insults a bunch of people who were making polite comments and then he calls us keyboard warriors.

And this is why people say we are unwelcoming and aggressive...

Jukic: you write quite eloquently. I am deeply and sincerely sorry you had such a brush with death. Your experience has put stuff into a different perspective. But it doesn't mean that your present perspective, coming from the position of shock you are obviously in, is right.

@Jesse Jukic Welcome to the forum and glad you are alive. I am very sorry I am such an "ignorant". Maybe you should join a forum with members who are a match for your intellect?

Hi @Jesse Jukic, welcome to Toytown. Great, that you are alive.

This is a forum of expats living in Germany. We know a bit about health insurance, German language or traffic law. But we all are not knife experts. I only use knife to cut tomatoes, like most people I am ignorant about knives despite being born in a place where people died from 15-20 stabs every day. Yes, every day. Yet I never carried any knife with me and neither did any of my friends: we do not cut tomatoes outdoors.

I developed another way to survive in a hostile environment. Keep calm, monitor the situation, when it becomes dangerous, go away. It worked so far for me: no knife would have saved my life because I do not know how to use it. I only cut tomatoes, not people.

There was one knife attack on me so far, I looked at the man demanding money, and he didn't look like wanting to spend his life in prison. So I just ignored him and walked away. He threated several times to stab me, but I kept ignoring him, he walked away: my assessment was correct. I do not recommend this method to anyone: you need to be very calm, and you also need to know when this won't work, otherwise you will die.

But if we take an average lay person, knife won't help. In contrast, it will give false sense of security, so this person thinks they are safe and doesn't run away. That is my ignorant person's opinion. If you do not like ignorant persons, then maybe stick to professional knife forums.

Joining those who wish you well after the hideous incident which you suffered.

You now have a first hand knowledge of how it felt to be in that situation unarmed.

You have no actual data on how it would have turned out had you had a knife - perhaps, as you assume, it would have gone better and you would have saved yourself more quickly, or perhaps you would indeed now be dead. We just don't know.

I do understand why you now feel the need to carry one around, and hope nothing remotely similar ever happens to you again. 

The original OP, as Panda has pointed out, is not the sort anyone wants running around with a knife.

@katheliz, that young policeman was a special sort.