is it legal to carry this knife

79 posts in this topic

The knife has apparently 5 star rating from 5 different people. So I won't doubt the quality of the knife. As for legality, I'm guessing one can carry it. (I have no idea why you would want to do that though). I couldn't find a law stating explicitly about pocket knives. If they are categorised as weapons, it's a different case.

What is going on with your afghan girlfriend and what is happening in the camps which makes you need to carry a knife?

You can carry a knife if it fits certain criteria, and /or if you can fully justify carrying it.

Just in case you are thinking of one along the lines of self-defense, DO NOT buy it!  Such a weapon can easily be turned against the owner, and cause serious injury/death.

This is a switchblade knife, right? So, according to the link from Mr. G you may not carry it ("Messer mit einhändig feststellbarer Klinge").

Any reason you feel the need to carry such a knife?

If you are worried about yourself, I would guess you would be better making sure you never get into a situation where you feel you would have to use it.

Using it could land you in trouble.

24 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

If you are worried about yourself, I would guess you would be better making sure you never get into a situation where you feel you would have to use it.

Just reading between the lines, maybe his girlfriend feels threatened?

Still, couldn't agree with you more. Carrying weapons means you get hurt.

2 hours ago, More tea, Vicar? said:

Why do you want to carry this knife in your pocket in Germany?  Or anywhere else, for that matter?

17 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

It probably inspires him confidence to carry such a 'bad-boy blade'. We all like feeling good about ourselves: our fancy apartment, the clothes we wear, the great job with the big salary, our looks, the gorgeous wife/husband/BF/GF adorning our arm... Maybe the OP has none of this and carrying a weapon is a way of boosting his self confidence, make him feel more powerful, but honestly, this thing just screams 'trailer trash' right left and center.

Just guessing... psychoanalysis over. 

German knife law is very vague.  § 42a I WaffG states more or less clearly what you can and and  can`t carry, only for § 42 a II WaffG to muddle up everything by allowing you to carry everything verboten in §42a I if you have a justified interest (berechtigtes Interesse)

So when are you justified in carrying a knife other than those allowed in § 42a I WaffG? Answer: Whenever the judge says so.

The knife in question is a karambit, i.e. a fighting knife. The blade shape makes is  impracticable for anything else. Since self-defense is not accepted as justification you would probably have a hard time explaining to the law why you carry that knife.

This knife is legal in Germany,

http://www.bka.de/nn_205626/SharedDocs/Downloads/DE/ThemenABisZ/Waffen/Feststellungsbescheide/Messer/120709FbZ243KarambitMesser,templateId=raw,property=publicationFile.pdf/120709FbZ243KarambitMesser.pdf

...but it is considered a weapon, so you cannot carry it around wherever you want to... E.G. Going to a market or to a cinema and carrying that knife is illegal...

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/waffg_2002/__42.html

Im pretty sure he doesnt want it as a weapon.  Whilst of course it could be used as such it would be a dreadful choice.  That is clearly a style above function "toy".  Yes yes i know you could kill someone with it but you would do 10 times better with a basic kitchen knife for about 5 bucks.

8 hours ago, Illic said:

This is a switchblade knife, right? So, according to the link from Mr. G you may not carry it ("Messer mit einhändig feststellbarer Klinge").

Unless OP only has one hand, in which case I think s/he might get away with it

3 hours ago, franklan said:

This knife is legal in Germany,

...but it is considered a weapon, so you cannot carry it around wherever you want to... E.G. Going to a market or to a cinema and carrying that knife is illegal...

So, if the OP bought the knife at a knife-store and decided to stop at a grocery store on the way home, that would be illegal?  Or, if he was going hunting and had the knife on his belt, he couldn't stop at a store for supplies?  When would carrying the knife become "illegal"?  I've never (yet) been searched at Lidl, so my guess would be the OP's question should be:  if I'm arrested for a crime and my knife is discovered...then what?

If the law is anything like the UK one, then having just bought the knife in a shop or being on a hunting trip would be seen as "legitimate reasons" to be carrying it. Chefs are allowed to carry their kitchen knives to and from work, sikhs are allowed to carry their kirpans, farm labourers are allowed to carry frankly f-ing terrifyingly huge and sharp metal implements... 

On the other hand, if you're hanging about on street corners with a meat cleaver shoved in your belt then "cos it makes me look hard" is probably not going to be accepted as a legitimate reason.

22 minutes ago, RelativeDimensions said:

sikhs are allowed to carry their kirpans

...but only until they try to stab someone with one (for "someone" read me), after which they are confiscated and are never allowed to carry one again.

German Weapons Act

Section 42a is what you need to read.

If the blade is under 12cm, in this case the cutting edge length,you are fine.

But that is a shit load of money for a really shitty looking blade. Karambits are not worth a fuck.

Check out Lamina

A great selection of practical, sharp, and good looking knives you can pull out at the dinner table without looking like a thug.