taxes: offsetting losses of individual stock shares

22 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2018, 10:19:30, Starshollow said:

well, there is a long story behind that: in the past (before 2009 mostly) a lot of stupid investments like Film/Movie funds where sold to investors only to make outrageous paper losses which were then used to offset against after other capital gains. That became such a widespread industry that the state lost billions of EUR in taxes while in Hollywood the expression "Stupid German Money" was coined for those billions of EUR collected from investors in Germany trying only to reduce taxes with the use of investments which were anything but profitable investments in the first place.

That then led to the decision of the government that losses can be offset against likewise investments in order to put a stop to that. Not that I agree with the totality of how this was put into law...but the beginnings are understandable.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

the other reason is that people are crap at picking stocks, present company exempted, if people could write their losses off against regular income governments would lose a fortune :lol:

On 12/31/2015, 1:55:34, Tim Hortons Man said:

Google translate made a bit of mash out of it but rephrase what you said

Capital losses from selling individual stocks can only be offset against profits from the sale of other individual stock not against interest or dividend income. For example I have dividend income of 5000€ but I sell some stocks at a loss of 5000€. I still owe tax on the 5000€ while the capital loss is carried forward to when I sell some stocks at a profit.

Capital losses from ETFs or Mutual Funds can be offset against any capital income. I have dividend/interest income of 5000€ but I sell some ETFs or Mutual Funds at a loss of 5000€ this I can offset the dividend/interest income. 

Correct?

I wonder if I can sell and buy the same stock today or tomorrow and book a loss for 2020

Does that work?