Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Birth control pills for asylum seeker/refugee

56 posts in this topic

Hi all ,

I have a question.

For my girlfriend can i get daily birth controll pilss from a farmacy or do i need a Doctor appointment for her?

She has only basic minimum insurance... will it be for free the consult ?

Should i got to a general practitioner doctor with her to get these pills ?

She needs to see a GP.  There are many different kinds of birth control pills and not all of them are suitable for everyone. 

Your girlfriend would have to go to the doctor herself - a "frauenarzt" would be best, and then she can ask about being put on the pill.

Be aware that the pill is generally not covered by health insurance here, and she will need to pay when the prescription is filled at the chemist.

Well she is an immigrant. Doesnt work ... Does she have any kind of health insurance ?:( She doesnt have any card like i have from TK health insurance company.

1 minute ago, TraceKira said:

Well she is an immigrant. Doesnt work ... Does she have any kind of health insurance ?:(

I thought she is an asylum seeker, i.e. someone not covered under regular public health insurance.

Furthermore, you should be aware that if she ends up pregnant with your kid, you will be required to foot all the bills (including health care costs!) for your child that are not covered. You might want to consider alternate forms of birth control as well.

5 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

Well she is an immigrant. Doesnt work ... Does she have any kind of health insurance ?:( She doesnt have any card like i have from TK health insurance company.

????

1 minute ago, john g. said:

???

From TraceKira's previous posts, his girlfriend is an asylum seeker awaiting a final decision. I'm not sure what provision is being made for refugees' health costs.

Just now, TraceKira said:

Well does an asylum seeker have any kind of medical insurance ?

Very limited coverage that is restricted to the absolute necessary. You'll probably also to have to foot the bill for the gynecologist yourself (which would be covered by regular public health insurance).

Ah ok, didn´t know..thought it was yet another " I´ve been in Germany a couple of years and didn´t know I needed health insurance ". My apologies.

4 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Very limited coverage that is restricted to the absolute necessary. You'll probably also to have to foot the bill for the gynecologist yourself (which would be covered by regular public health insurance).

Ok that is resonable.

Does anyone knows how much  will i need to pay for a visit to such a doctor to write a prescription ? 20, 30 , 50, 100 euro ?

5 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

Ok that is resonable.

Does anyone knows how much  will i need to pay for a visit to such a doctor to write a prescription ? 20, 30 , 50, 100 euro ?

Google your nearest GYnae. and explain the situation, and ask the cost.   Your g/f can also ask at the refugee camp- Nurse/MD/Social worker. Or go to   Diakonie and ask for ad

vice.

As most here seem to have insurance,   we probably do not know how much it might cost.

Still not sure how much of a windup this OP is. 

4 minutes ago, TraceKira said:

Ok that is resonable.

Doctor charges are covered. It's the pills you need to pay for. One box, which covers 6 months, costs around 25€.

Just now, Erdmann said:

Doctor charges are covered. It's the pills you need to pay for. One box, which covers 6 months, costs around 25€.

I am not sure they are covered since she doesnt have any document that says she is insured (card , etc)

As Engelchen pointed out, should she become pregnant with your baby, you will have to cover costs, so make sure you use another method of birth control in the meantime, okay?

As for Erdmann's point that a 6.month supply of pills costs around E25, you should bear in mind that different pills have different prices - mine, for instance, even when doing an internet search to find the cheapest ones, cost €47,68 (and up to €65!!!)

Just now, TraceKira said:

I am not sure they are covered since she doesnt have any document that says she is insured (card , etc)

Well, then the only way is to hurry up to the nearest clinic, and ask for the consultation costs. Chop chop. B)

Very good points, RedMidge! I reckon TraceKira is also right with his last remark but, again, I´m not fully up-to-date with refugees and health insurance in Germany from my current location.

Women on benefits and limited income in Germany can get birth control free including asylum seekers. Which obviously makes sense because the costs involved of subsequent pregnancies. 

http://www.abendzeitung-muWenchen.de/inhalt.stadt-soll-fuer-verhuetung-zahlen-rathaus-spd-fordert-pille-fuer-arme-muenchnerinnen.4bae9e70-4685-484f-9b8e-52a67c49f6f0.html

If you search there are other links for other cities.