Try a new sport in Munich (Korfball!)

21 posts in this topic

If you have ever played Basketball or Netball before and want to try something new that uses similar skills (or even if you just fancy trying a new sport) then you're invited to come and play Korfball!

if you've never played Korfball before, it is a basket sport like basketball or netball. However the rules are distinctly different from both of those making it unique. It is the only team sport that involves men and women playing together on an equal footing.  The sport was invented in the Netherlands in 1902 and it has grown since then to be played in 54 countries worldwide. Korfball has twice been an Olympic sport and currently enjoys regular World Championships and inclusion at the World Games.

The Korfball group usually play one evening a week. And afterwards we go to a nearby restaurant.

So if you're looking for a way to get a bit more included in the social scene in Munich and you want to try a great new team sport as well as have a workout, why not come along?

Questions and sign up below.

K1.jpg

K2 international_korfball.jpg

K3.jpg

59 minutes ago, Ciej said:

It is the only team sport that involves men and women playing together on an equal footing

Not to take away from your sport, but Ultimate Frisbee fits this bill as well, and I'm sure there are other sports.

I think the point is that the rules of Korfball are designed to be mixed sex.  Most sports can be played mixed or single sex, but the rules of Korfball are designed to ensure that both genders can compete in the same game on an equal footing.  In fact, you can't play single sex Korfball - the rules don't allow it.

No need to sign up - there is space for all.  However, it's a bit hard to find so if you can come we'll arrange a meeting point at 1910 at Therese-Giehse-Allee (on the U5; 10mins from Ostbahnhof and 15mins from Hauptbahnhof).  PM me your mobile number and I'll send you the details.

Anyone else?

Hi all

Korfball is indeed taking place this Thursday and we're still open for beginners for a few more weeks. Meeting point at 1910 at Therese-Giehse-Allee (on the U5; 10mins from Ostbahnhof and 15mins from Hauptbahnhof).  PM me and let me know you're planning to come and I'll send you the exact details and my mobile number. We're going to the pub afterwards if you'd like to meet some other club members (we have plenty of beginners who started recently; the club is about 50:50 ex pats and Germans) and there are showering facilities so don't forget a towel if you want to use them. Training is free.

Also: we try try to run the training in German so bonus points in you speak the language (but don't worry if not, as I can translate the important bits).

Thanks and hopefully see you Thursday!

To anyone who is interested in trying Korfball - we have a session tomorrow with a strong beginner slant. If you're tempted to try something new, meet new people and get fit all at one, this is a great opportunity! Please PM me for details of where we're meeting.  This is probably one of the last beginner sessions for the foreseeable future as we have a lot of new joiners to bed in (but not the last, so don't worry if you can't make it).  

The session is free of charge and there are showering facilities.  Afterwards, we go to the pub for a drink and we usually get a fun crowd there.  PM me for details!

Hi all - for those who messaged and couldn't make it last week, you're in luck! You have one more chance tomorrow night.

Please PM me if you're interested.  The session is free of charge and there are showering facilities.  Afterwards, we go to the pub for a drink and we usually get a fun crowd there.   Meeting point at 1910 at Therese-Giehse-Allee platform (on the U5; 10mins from Ostbahnhof and 15mins from Hauptbahnhof).

If anyone would like to give korfball a try, we're opening up the session tomorrow again for newbies. Please PM me if you want to come. As ever, the session is free of charge and there are showering facilities.  Afterwards, we go to the pub for a drink and we usually get a fun crowd there.   Meeting point at 1910 at Therese-Giehse-Allee platform (on the U5; 10mins from Ostbahnhof and 15mins from Hauptbahnhof).

To all who are thinking: "Spring is here - I'd like to try and get back into shape. but I hate jogging." We have the offer for you! 

Why not try Korfball - we have another session on Thursday with a strong beginner slant. If you're tempted to try something new, meet new people and get fit all at one, this is a great opportunity!  The meeting point is on Thursday at 1910 at Therese-Giehse-Allee (on the U5; 10mins from Ostbahnhof and 15mins from Hauptbahnhof). PM me in advance so we know to look out for you.

The session is free of charge and there are showering facilities.  Afterwards, we go to the pub for a drink and we usually get a fun crowd there. If you are wondering what Korfball is, check this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUtJB5jBOis for a 5 minute introduction. If you've ever played basketball or netball, you'll have a good grounding as it is very similar.

The club is growing from strength to strength at the moment and we have members from the US, UK, Germany, Australia and Ireland. We train every Thursday nights and also have occasional social events (the last one was bowling; needless to say the American won). A few weeks ago, eleven of us even took a day trip to Ulm to play Ulm Korfball Club, which was a great day out. We even climbed the cathedral.

If you're interested, or want to find out more, just PM me. Hope you can make it on Thursday.