Forum software upgrade, November 2015

224 posts in this topic

Are you getting the attachment thing covering your typing box?  I had to make my browser window big enough to escape that message and find room to type again.

I don't have an opinion yet on the new unread posts, but at least I have figured out that clicking the blue dot/star is the direct way to get to the new post.  Just clicking the title will take you to the first page.  You can't select a page any longer to jump to, either the beginning or end via the unread screen.  Unless I'm missing something?

But I don't want my unread posts, I want recent contributions as well as things I've read displayed without bolding, because I use it as a checklist.  I see that there's a way to make sure it shows  those things. But the stream metaphor is still jarring. 

OK, how you get back the old functionality:

1. Click on "my activity streams".

2. "Create new stream".

3. Choose: "content items only", content type: "topics", read status: "everything", ownership: "everything", follow status: "everything", time period: "any time".

4. Name and save the stream.

Now if you want to get to that view, you have to go to "my activity streams" and then choose the stream you created.  It's yet another step in the direction of crappy aping of "social" "media".  But at least they seem to have left us a workaround.    Maybe one day they'll even give us forum markup back.

What on earth has happened to Toytown? Can't find my way around anymore.

Great - after the latest forum update, the New posts display is cluttered beyond belief, and the forum section filter has disappeared again.

One step forward, two steps back...

Just now, bramble said:

What on earth has happened to Toytown? Can't find my way around anymore.

Progress!

Interestingly I can now see on peoples activity stream which posts they have "given reputation to" and who has given them reputation.  I wonder if that was an intended feature!

Haha!!!

My computer was on the blink this morning, so my "computer man" came round and did all sorts of lovely things to it to make it work just that bit faster and more reliably - I had been blaming him for the horrible look of Toytown, but now discover that somebody pulling the strings has taken it upon themselves to inflict this upon us without warning!

surely, the point of any normal update is to make things better? In my eyes, this is definitely NOT the case here!

Jesus, what a mess. Seems like TT is devolving into a bizarre, clumsy rip-off of Facebook circa 2007 and we are all now unwitting alpha testers...

hmm won't let me post

*** edit Hmmmmm .. it did .. off to the flummoxed thread - well I would if I could find the emoticons - they've gone :D

****Edit again - aha - if you type the relevant emoticon symbols - they show up ...  umm durr 

2 minutes ago, Perfect Poise said:

Jesus, what a mess. Seems like TT is devolving into a bizarre, clumsy rip-off of Facebook circa 2007 and we are all now unwitting alpha testers...

That's literally what it is.  There was a thread some time ago that linked to another thread by the forum designers who were worried that people weren't coming to forums because they were all discussing on Facebook.  Answer: make forums look more like Facebook.

*facepalm*

2 hours ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

OK, how you get back the old functionality:

1. Click on "my activity streams".

2. "Create new stream".

3. Choose: "content items only", content type: "topics", read status: "everything", ownership: "everything", follow status: "everything", time period: "any time".

4. Name and save the stream.

Now if you want to get to that view, you have to go to "my activity streams" and then choose the stream you created.  It's yet another step in the direction of crappy aping of "social" "media".  But at least they seem to have left us a workaround.    Maybe one day they'll even give us forum markup back.

Thanks - and to get the forum section filters back, click on the gear icon next to Content Types -> Topics, then click the down arrow under "Narrow by" and select all the forum sections you want to follow.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Great - after the latest forum update, the New posts display is cluttered beyond belief, and the forum section filter has disappeared again.

One step forward, two steps back...

If you look in the top right on the display, there is an option for 'compact view', which gets rid of a lot of the clutter and generally streamlines things.  I prefer it, anyway.

Sorry - I did say this before (and sorry if you read that post already) but, since TT wasn't allowing me to post anything but pictures, I posted a .png of the words I wanted to say - just simple text saved as an image, totally legible and tidy - but apparently that wasn't "appropriate" so my posts were removed. 

...and I got a slightly grumpy message telling me to try googling a fix I had already tried repeatedly, w/o the help of google.  TT still not working on the computer I was using earlier, sadly.

I tried to do the same thing on my iPhone on the way home. I typed a sarcastic and witty message into a text file, screenied it and then tried to upload it... but got hit by the utterly bewildering 256kb file size limit. So even that didn't work...

49 minutes ago, techgirl said:

I agree with Robinson100 that inflicting this on us without warning, or consulting the users in any way, is just bad form. Quite disappointed. Is someone trying to actively drive away the rest of us? I mean, I'm typically on TT several times a day, mostly reading but occasionally posting. It wasn't like this this morning.

You know what happened.  Hey  guys, there is a new version of the software, looks like a couple of the features are pretty cool, lets install it!  And then surprise surprise the "magic auto update" turns out not to do whats promised.

I already spend my working day dealing with buggy software, and I get well paid for that... screw doing this in my spare time!

What does "somebody gave you reputation" mean anyway? Good or bad reputation? Who is "somebody"?

Screenshot_1.png