Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Finding job for spouse around Kaiserslautern

5 posts in this topic

So I've been accepted for in many aspects my dream job but am having significant second thoughts as to my wife's situation. A bit of background - I'm American, in my early 30s and my parents were DoD civilians. They worked in Germany for quite a while so I ended up going to (German) high school and (German) college/medical school. I loved it and strongly considered staying in Germany but ultimately I came back to the US to finish up training as a doctor and also ended up meeting my wife. The hospital in Landstuhl would like to hire me and my first reaction was to jump at the opportunity of coming back to Germany and having the benefits of the SOFA and LQA and such. The more I think of it however, the more I feel that it would be suboptimal for my wife - she is a Russian citizen and, while she has a green card in the US, she has another 2 years left before she can become a naturalized US citizen. Thus we are thinking about what she would be able to do if we move to Germany. Right now she works in a project management/finance function in a large multinational tech company (around a billion a year in revenue), manages about a dozen employees and reports directly to a vice president. In 2 years when she gets citizenship I'm pretty sure she would be able to get a decent GS job somewhere in the Kaiserslautern area but for now, I think she is limited to some rather low level NAF job. If Landstuhl was more like Frankfurt or even Stuttgart, I think she could find a job on the economy for a similar multinational tech company but I just can't see opportunities like this in the Kaiserslautern area, especially as she does not speak German. Just wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts.

What happens to her US application if he leaves the US?  Are there restrictions during the next 2 years?

Not sure how her visa to work would apply if you are working under   SOFA etc. Or would she apply for a German work visa- as a non EU citizen?

Must be  TTers out there with  knowledge. Have you tried the search engine- top right?

Nothing really happens to her application if she leaves the US with me - as I would be working for a government agency, it is permissible for her to be outside of the physical US and still have the time count towards the 3 years she needs with a green card before she can become naturalized. There are some things to watch out for (ie we shouldn't sell our house in the US) but overall her obtaining US citizenship isn't so much of an issue.

She would be a dependent under my SOFA status and thus would have an ID card; she won't need a German work permit for a NAF job (as far as I know), however, if she were to apply to a job on the economy, she would need to obtain a work permit. A large company probably wouldn't have issues getting such her a work permit but we're talking about Kaiserslautern, I'm not sure there are huge opportunities like that there. A side note, I still have a valid (German) Niederlassungserlaubnis which may make it easier for her to obtain a work permit. I would however see her lack of knowledge of German more of a roadblock in getting a job on the economy rather than getting a permit.

I've searched but the most recent similar topic is a few years old, I kind of wanted to see if anybody had any experience that is more current. Like if anybody knew of anybody in a similar situation where there was a decent outcome.

Right now she works in a project management/finance function in a large multinational tech company (around a billion a year in revenue), manages about a dozen employees and reports directly to a vice president.

Your wife's skill set is currently not really in demand on the German labour market. You might also want to read this recent thread (the OP seems to be in a similar field).

I still have a valid (German) Niederlassungserlaubnis which may make it easier for her to obtain a work permit.

Your NE is most probably void (erloschen). See §51 Abs. 6 and 7 AufenthG for more info.

Your NE is most probably void (erloschen). See §51 Abs. 6 and 7 AufenthG for more info.

I qualify under AufenthG § 51 Abs 2 (Die Niederlassungserlaubnis eines Ausländers, der sich mindestens 15 Jahre rechtmäßig im Bundesgebiet aufgehalten [...] erlösch[t] nicht nach Absatz 1 Nr. 6 und 7 [...]) so it should still be ok. If I come over to Germany under a SOFA, I'm not sure I could use my Niederlassungserlaubnis to get my wife a work permit though, that would be a bit dicey. That would obviously make it easier for my wife to find a job on the economy but as the other link suggests, a job on the economy is more dependent on knowing German and having an in need skill set and I just worry Kaiserslautern does not fit the bill.