The English Teacher's Corner

246 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

@silty1 You added an "e" that should not be there. https://www.deepl.com/translator

OK, gotcha - thanks!

Edit: holy crap. 

That site is amazing.  It's not 100%, but a huge leap over Google Mangleslate and quite close to what we're aiming for.  I like how you can click on a word and get an alternative, usually one that fits better.

The robot revolution is upon us

Some bright one has decided that Melania Trump needs a project, and "Be Best" is it's name. Sounds to me as if Betsy Devos chose it. Looks just awful on a banner.

When you have no original ideas and can only speak in the superlative, you steal Michelle Obama's "Be Better" slogan and try to improve it by coining "Be Best". Not mere plagiarism, but a failure of intellectual capacity and public relations savvy of the grandest proportion. Her team of imbeciles even stole the pagination errors of the original FTC documents.

'Yes, I used Google...why.?'

delight.jpg.01ed84784476dd4d56ac210501a9

since we are not adult enough to have an adult section...

We are clearly in the wrong country. 

Actually, having watched about half, this is sausage-factory gone mad. Maybe it gets better...

On 4/17/2018, 10:25:31, silty1 said:

A way to measurably improve things from the level we are at now is what we're looking for.

Suggest that all translations are done by yourself.

On 17.4.2018, 10:44:34, AlexTr said:
On 8.3.2019, 16:09:45, sos-the-rope said:

Suggest that all translations are done by yourself.

@silty1 You added an "e" that should not be there. https://www.deepl.com/translator

I managed to convince them that the best way to teach my colleagues English - translation or otherwise - is to schedule them for English lessons.  Whew! That wasn't so difficult after all.  Everybody wins.  They get real instruction, I get off the hook.

OK, so maybe the English teacher can answer this for me:

A friend of a friend is doing an English course and this came up.  Which of these two is correct:

1)  short curly brown hair.

2)  Curly short brown hair.

Could somebody tell me the answer and why?

I would have said the answer would be "short curly brown hair".  But no idea why!