The English Teacher's Corner

262 posts in this topic

" My dog don´t eat meat ".

" Why not? "

" I don´t give him any ".

Would that fit into a lesson plan?:lol:

Does anyone have any tips on helping students with their pronunciation? Where I work, it's not considered very important, but for students of intermediate to high level I think its very important.

For example; I have students who work for a Fashion company, who are of course afflicted with the Bundesweit inability to pronounce the word 'clothes' properly. It's always 'closes'. As well as being a pet hate of mine, this could be pretty embarrassing for people whose job revolves around it, and I'm happy enough with 'clodes' or even 'close', however this just doesn't seem to stick.

Any ideas?  

I'm not sure if your pronunciation would be different than mine (I'm from the western part of the U.S.), but I had this problem with clothes, too. My students knew the word for close the door, so I demonstrated opening and closing the door and said open and close. I then told them to say clothes like close (which to me also sounds like the word cloze, as in cloze activity).

Perhaps this would help.

repetition and mnemonic devices are a good way to go.

my students learn the phrase 'close the door and put your close on'. when they make the mistake, I tug on my shirt and they repeat the phrase. 

when they make a mistake with for and since, I hold up 4 fingers, because you can count four, and they say the sentence using both words. 

iPhone, ebay and the opening gesture for YMCA are simple ways to remember those 3 pesky problems. 

'oo' words

1 tooth

2 teeth

1 goose

2 geese

1 foot

2 feet

1 booth

2 beeth

1 boob

2 beeb

Moose ? I think I've seen the plural staying moose, but I don't know if it is correct ?

The Finnish word for a grammar Nazi, pilkunnussija, translates as "comma fucker".

For anyone that doesn't know it, one stop english news lessons are the bomb. The subscription is €42, and it easily pays for itself very quickly. print and go.

What are some other websites you use?

I find the Linguahouse lesson plans quite good: http://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans. Many of the lessons are free, for others you need a subscription which is €36 a year.  I don't have a subscription as I find enough material in the free lessons.  They are up to date and are designed for different levels.

Another website I use is Busy Teacher, http://www.busyteacher.org or for grammar topics, Perfect English Grammar, http://www.perfect-english-grammar.com/grammar-exercises.html

some new old words to teach

Kakistocracy - Government by the least qualified or worst people. ...

I second One Stop English - they do some great 'niche' stuff - when all of my oldies groups were doing books, there was something for everyone, including the absolute beginners, who had a simple story of their own, and they felt great!

I was also able to pass on their extreme beginners course to a friend teaching German as a volunteer with no training - from the problems he described it was pretty clear that he was a bit clueless about how to pick the important information out and pass it on, and the OSE course is so clear that even for the (non!) teacher of a different foreign language, the structure and ideas were brilliant. 

I will look at linguahouse too, Tap, thanks for that.