The English Teacher's Corner

286 posts in this topic

The word "decimated" gets no respect.  I recently heard a TV broadcaster say, "The town was almost completely decimated."
My oldest son, Erstling, informed me that decimated means the loss of 1/10.  I just smiled, because two years ago he insisted it means the loss of 9/10.  

Oxford English Dictionary

Usage

Historically, the meaning of the word decimate is ‘kill one in every ten of (a group of people)’. This sense has been more or less totally superseded by the later, more general sense ‘kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of’, as in the virus has decimated the population. Some traditionalists argue that this is incorrect, but it is clear that it is now part of standard English.

Happy New Year, Tor!

Glad you´ve posted here because I wanted to post something a while ago but couldn´t find the thread!

A fun idea is to take any text -even your post - and do it in various accents.

Students love it! You tell them English is international but spoken differently. You can have a class based on differences in accents  ( and they will think Hamburg, Bavaria, Hessen etc) and discuss it. 

I can do: RP, Cockney (East London), something American ( but vague ), Scottish (vague but somewhat Glaswegian), Liverpudlian (based on a train journey involving my football team and then on a train with some supporters ) and vaguely Birmingham (England )..I´m working on a Greek-English dialect!:D

Perhaps a somewhat random question, but when you teach group classes, either in-school or in-company, do you typically follow a book, or are they usually tailor-made courses?

Hello Fritsen! Just seen this! When you ask " you ", do you mean in general or a particular person? The answer will depend on whether you work for a language school with its own rules or even tailor-made  courses  according to a school´s rules...or whether you are truly independent with your own rules/ideas/based upon the students´ needs and your own personal tutor´s experiences/experience/know how and  personality. 

In my experience of just a few years I've typically used books and many times added to what was in the books, but that was working with language schools. With the few privates I had I used various materials for a tailor-made course.

Here is a site with loads of questions. I find it a good way to practice 'using the question in your answer' and thinking of a follow up question.

Questions

56b9f7d5c46c2_questionssnippet1.JPG.f518

1 hour ago, tor said:

Thoughts?

shouldn't've

I'd say it, but I'd never write it!

tor - shouldn't've

- too clunky to use in written form

- there are a few common variations in spoken form, which I think I would point out for interest,

(although there were a few glazed faces this morning and I am beginning to think that I do not necessarily share an understanding of 'interest' with the retired folk I teach). 

On 23/10/2015, 13:34:44, tor said:

here is a simple online sentence parser.

Does anyone have a favorite free app?

quick1.thumb.JPG.cc7ea76da98d09d091e9349

Hi

Is there a sentence case parser ? I am at my wits end trying to wade thru case in deutsch.

I thot it's best I figured first how to identify cases in an english sentence.

Thanks for your help and time,

Mozmi.

13 hours ago, john g. said:

More grammar tips for Tor and company:

9a16d3dca9ce8706e234aceb7801f9b7.jpg

Sorry John - too much fucking going on here!  :o