The English Teacher's Corner

431 posts in this topic

Kind of related to the last post, here's an interesting history of 'hiccup' v 'hiccough'. I thought about this because I'm currently reading Harry Potter to my daughter, and the daft Scot uses 'hiccough', which I need to think twice about to pronounce correctly.

“Hiccup” was the first leader, with “hiccough” jumping into first place for a short time in the late 1600s. “Hiccup” returned to the more popular spot until 1736, where there was another “hiccough” fad that lasted just shy of a decade. It faded to the number two spot again until its last and most triumphant period, which was between 1849 and 1949—a full 100 years of “hiccough” glory—but since then, “hiccup” has been the clear favorite. “Hiccup” has had a few hiccups in its word history apparently.

Writing Tip 366: “Hiccup” vs. “Hiccough” - Kris Spisak (kris-spisak.com)

I'm on salary... or It's Friday at 2:00...f*ck no. 

Here is a neat way to teach this idiom. Any others?

outside the box1.jpg

Oh yes.

Constantly.

I looked at a Uni paper done by a kid during Covid and honestly at least 10% was literally multiple guess because none of the choices given were correct. Quite bizarre.

The English language changes by misuse. 

I often wonder how long it will be before "could of", "should of" etc. become accepted as correct.

One recent change by misuse that amuses (and mildly irritates) me is the change of "methodology" from meaning the science or study of method to meaning a collection of methods and now seems to be well on the way to becoming synonym of "method".