The English Teacher's Corner

405 posts in this topic

On 19/08/2020, 23:17:23, Keleth said:

Ok I`m not an English teacher and I stumbled on this thread but there is a couple of things that really bug me...

1.How long has couldWould etc of instead of could/would have existed ?

2.Why are suddenly prospective and perspective interchangeable ?

Have these always  been correct or are they new or are they still incorrect but people use them anyway.These 2 things really grate on me when I hear them.Not sure if I`m old and out of touch.

On 19/08/2020, 23:17:23, Keleth said:

Ok I`m not an English teacher and I stumbled on this thread but there is a couple of things that really bug me...

1.How long has couldWould etc of instead of could/would have existed ?

2.Why are suddenly prospective and perspective interchangeable ?

Have these always  been correct or are they new or are they still incorrect but people use them anyway.These 2 things really grate on me when I hear them.Not sure if I`m old and out of touch.

On 14/08/2020, 13:25:16, Tap said:

I'm back to about 80%, and that's fine for me. As you say, there aren't as many expenses, so it works.

What I found interesting is the difference in treatment between the companies I work directly with and the language school I do some work for.  The companies supported me from the very beginning.  I could work online, or come into the company and teach face-to-face, if I felt comfortable about it.  At the moment, I do 5 classes a week online and the other 10 are in company, and I like that combination. I'm disappointed with the language school, I haven't heard from them since April and I've made the decision not to go back there if and/or when they ask. 

Um, those whose mother tongue it is... sorry, couldn't resist given the topic.

1 minute ago, sobyrne said:

Um, those whose mother tongue it is... sorry, couldn't resist given the topic.

Yes, that bugged me, too. Who's means to me who is, so it wouldn't make sense to say, "...who is mother tongue it is... ."  That is how I would know what word to use.

By the way, I didn't know that prospective and perspective are interchangeable! I wouldn't use them that way.

On 8/18/2020, 9:50:31, dessa_dangerous said:
22 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

if that's referring to my comment, the "of" in "could/should/would of" was the joke.  It's a mistake people make and isn't correct now nor has it ever been.

should of, would of, could of! 

Like most people I say could/should/would of in speaking but could/should/would have in writing

On 8/18/2020, 8:31:06, RedMidge said:

I shudder when I hear:

"We should have went".:angry:

That one I had to look up :lol:

What annoys me is that books still use "shall", as in who in their right mind ever says "shall we go for a coffee", good god, it's do you wanna go for a coffee (if spoken). The other one is I don't think I've ever seen "kids" used in reference to children. Seems odd since that has been part of the language for as long as I can remember.

What is difficult to keep up with is how fast language is changing around us, especially amongst the woke left, everything from menstruators and ejaculators   to asigned X at birth and womxn so on and so forth. And lets not get into the 100s of new genders and pronouns etc. Hopefully I'll never see that stuff in a book.

4 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

Like most people I say could/should/would of

No you don't - you say "could've, should've, would've".

You'd think an English teacher would know about something like that.

5 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

What is difficult to keep up with is how fast language is changing around us, especially amongst the woke left, everything from menstruators and ejaculators   to asigned X at birth and womxn so on and so forth. And lets not get into the 100s of new genders and pronouns etc. Hopefully I'll never see that stuff in a book.

Ah, I see - you're distracted by things you don't need to worry about.

56 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

No you don't - you say "could've, should've, would've".

You'd think an English teacher would know about something like that

Hmmm I guess that's why we all complain about people saying could/would/should of - it's how you pronounce everything. As I tell all my students the reason why native speakers are so hard to understand is the way we slur/run words together. That along with accents makes it hard to distinguish words apart from one another.

56 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Ah, I see - you're distracted by things you don't need to worry about.

Yes very much so, or as I tell my wife, "just a minute I'm fixing the internet" :lol:

Off topic a touch but as every English teacher knows photocopies are the bane of your life. You get to class early only to discover the photocopiers broken, out of paper, busy, or worse no one around to lend you a card to make you 100 colour copies! The most stressful one for me was when I had a group of apprentices, never got the student list so assumed, as per normal, 6-8 students. Got there and there was 25 in the class. Mad dash to the photocopier and it was out of paper!!!

Anyways I recently discovered Instant Ink from HP. It is by far the cheapest way to print and the most convenient way to print. I  took the top plan 20€ a month and print to my hearts content and as much in colour as I want! As a small example, I'm starting a new book and I know that one of the students will show up with out having printed off the material, so I printed an extra set!

1 hour ago, Rushrush said:

What annoys me is that books still use "shall", as in who in their right mind ever says "shall we go for a coffee", good god, it's do you wanna go for a coffee (if spoken). 

I suppose it depends where you are. It would be common in  southern England but not where I grew up in Ireland. Also, learning a language is not just for speaking - you will encounter 'shall' everywhere in literature and poetry..also in songs - Pete Seeger's  'We shall overcome..

Just now, pmd said:

I suppose it depends where you are. It would be common in  southern England but not where I grew up in Ireland. Also, learning a language is not just for speaking - you will encounter 'shall' everywhere in literature and poetry..also in songs - Pete Seeger's  'We shall overcome..

And I was going to add that you see it in legal jargon as well, but usually not too relevant to most students

This guy is an English teacher? With weak grasp of grammar? With no knowledge of registers of language?

Fake news.

Sad.

1 hour ago, pmd said:

Yep! I use “ shall we go for a coffee ?”👍🏼 (Concept: making an invitation/ suggestion .)
And, of course , I also use “ shall I open the door for you? “ ( Concept : offering help.) AND I like the song “ We shall overcome.” ( Concept: making a prediction.”

So there!😂 ( 68 years and 6 weeks old )

PS: Germans love it when someone finally  points out with examples and a use of concepts how “ will “ and “ shall “ are used- plus the use of the verb with -ing at the end to demonstrate the concept of a fixed plan.

Best way to start that lesson? Ask them what the future tense is in English! Every German gleefully tells you “ will “ is the future tense in English!

Then YOU say “ no, it isn’t. I shall explain.” 😂

And dazzle them with your brilliance!💋💋💋

2 hours ago, Rushrush said:

who in their right mind ever says "shall we go for a coffee"

We do!  The word is often used for emphasis and to be playful, as in "Whadya think folks? Shall we change the subject?" or "Yes I promise that I shall see to it."  I shall make sure that my Armenian grandchildren are exposed to this lovely word. 

3 hours ago, Rushrush said:

Like most people I say could/should/would of in speaking but could/should/would have in writing

HELP!!

We DON'T say could of. We say Could've which sounds like 'of' but is, in fact, HAVE.

Please stop this now.

11 minutes ago, Acton said:

Whorecallinatroll???

Rush, of course. The man needs to work on his English skills if he's going to convince us he is for real. :D

6 hours ago, Rushrush said:

What annoys me is that books still use "shall", as in who in their right mind ever says "shall we go for a coffee", good god, it's do you wanna go for a coffee (if spoken). The other one is I don't think I've ever seen "kids" used in reference to children. Seems odd since that has been part of the language for as long as I can remember.

I say "shall we go for a coffee" all the time, and I hear it all the time, at least in Britain.

I am personally not a huge fan of "kid" when referring to children, but I do use that word when I want to sound informal or my Americanized side takes over. I know many people have a blanket objection to using that word and, at least in Europe many people never use it (e.g. my better half), but I try not to be judgy when it comes to anyone's vocabulary choices.