The English Teacher's Corner

285 posts in this topic

On 27/06/2020, 16:18:40, JN53 said:

I haven't actually taught any of these to English learners, but is this your complete lesson or did you brainstorm first what kinds of things a person could say? Did you ask students to explain what a simile and what a metaphor is to make sure they know? Did they have examples from an English text-article, newspaper, website, etc.? Why do they need to know these? Have you thought of that? If they only need to recognize them, then coming up with them cold turkey may not be necessary. 

Maybe someone else has actually taught these things and can help, but these are just some questions that I would think about.

Thanks JN53

This is a uni level class and I'm trying to get them to understand the value in having metaphoric speech when explaining concepts/things to someone who may not have the same background they do.

We did indeed work our way through German similes and metaphors first, then we looked at English examples, listened to some music that had similes in the lyrics, before moving it into the academic sphere. When I referenced the German examples we'd looked at they told me that that was just 'part of the language' and nothing they needed to actually learn or come up with themselves. I am personally, very much oriented this way. My normal mode of speech if I'm teaching something is often metaphoric/simile based, so I have a bit of disconnect from the outset because it's always been very easy for me.

I did try and encourage them by saying nothing they came up with would be wrong so long as I was able to understand the connection - but they struggled mightily.

- one of the conversation exercises I did, other end of the scale, retired folk hovering around A1-2, involved slight imagination - giving them a set of small ads from the papers, a budget, and asking them to see how well they could furnish a bed-sit/flat/room (in an old folks home ;) perhaps) with it. Most of them joined in with gusto - they are after all oldies who are learning a new language just for the hell of it, but one just said - but I don't need to get anything, why would I want to imagine I do, this is pointless. She's usually really wilco, but there have been another couple of 'fictional' exercises which she has balked at - creativity and imagination - is it scary for some people, or too much effort?

Strange. They do love a good simile/metaphor comparison, especially involving wildlife, so if and when I ever get to spend time in a classroom with them again, I'll try your exercise, and report back. 

On 6/28/2020, 3:28:52, Tap said:

It's Sunday, his day off, give the guy a break ;)

Naw just typing on the ipad, pain in the butt.