The English Teacher's Corner

246 posts in this topic

On 19.10.2019, 20:37:55, john g. said:

I don´t know what CEFR is. A school with their own rules or a chain with their own rules?

If you can teach freely, you can always say: " this is what I say. In place A B C, they say it like this..etc ". Or " my parents said this and that but my kids these days say this or that. And Australians have other rules etc. "

https://www.coe.int/en/web/common-european-framework-reference-languages/level-descriptions

Ah..so that´s what it is!

Edit: back in my time in Indonesia at an international school where English was taught to well-to-do

offspring--there were teachers with PhDs from the USA and all the rest of it but they were arrogant and unwilling to be flexible in case another teacher was ill, It interfered with their tennis practice.

We actually needed emergency cover and " grabbed " a young Australian backpacker in shorts as a filler. The youngsters loved him because he was friendly, open and laughed. A returning-to-work Dr so and so was NOT wanted back by the students. The Australian guy had no idea of grammar but retained the bums on seats.

The Australian owner of the school at some stage introduced rules for new teachers:

No married couples - inflexible. No Northern English--too bolshie

:rolleyes:

PS: I had to learn quickly what TOEFL was because most of the young Indonesian students aimed to study in the States.

Yep, and then came the exam day. I sat there and the phone call came in. " I am the father of so and so. If my son fails the exam, I know the Ministry which granted you the work permit...just so you know. "

I knew.

Basically, in a corrupt world, it´s not what you know but who etc. And the power to ruin another person´s life...

Did you fail the little bugger?

On 19.10.2019, 20:37:55, john g. said:

I don´t know what CEFR is. A school with their own rules or a chain with their own rules?

If you can teach freely, you can always say: " this is what I say. In place A B C, they say it like this..etc ". Or " my parents said this and that but my kids these days say this or that. And Australians have other rules etc. "

https://www.coe.int/en/web/common-european-framework-reference-languages/level-descriptions

Ah..so that´s what it is!

Edit: back in my time in Indonesia at an international school where English was taught to well-to-do

offspring--there were teachers with PhDs from the USA and all the rest of it but they were arrogant and unwilling to be flexible in case another teacher was ill, It interfered with their tennis practice.

We actually needed emergency cover and " grabbed " a young Australian backpacker in shorts as a filler. The youngsters loved him because he was friendly, open and laughed. A returning-to-work Dr so and so was NOT wanted back by the students. The Australian guy had no idea of grammar but retained the bums on seats.

The Australian owner of the school at some stage introduced rules for new teachers:

No married couples - inflexible. No Northern English--too bolshie

:rolleyes:

PS: I had to learn quickly what TOEFL was because most of the young Indonesian students aimed to study in the States.

Yep, and then came the exam day. I sat there and the phone call came in. " I am the father of so and so. If my son fails the exam, I know the Ministry which granted you the work permit...just so you know. "

I knew.

Basically, in a corrupt world, it´s not what you know but who etc. And the power to ruin another person´s life...

Did you fail the little bugger?

Many moons ago I did a CELTA in Switzerland, hoping to maybe and perhaps make a career out of it.
You know, travel the world, teach the English in far flung places and off the beaten track.

That freaking CELTA in CH cost me 5 grand CHuF´s in the one-month course and then there was I with a brand spanking new, fresh out of a laserprinter, certificate held in my sweaty hands.

Only to find that it was useless as all the CHian schools wanted at least two years’ experience under your belt before they even let you through the door. Catch 22, you can´t get experience without a school and you can´t get a school without experience.

I did manage to land a signed contract with an international school in Wengfei in China and I was all geared up for that, with visa and what not but the buggers cancelled it at the last moment.

So I hung my certificate on the wall and ignored it from then on…

Until I moved to Malta, the one in the Med with all the lovely English schools. It took a year or so before I thought that I could try for some part time, a few hours a week thing.

The schools at that time were screaming out for qualified teachers as they were absolute full with “Students” mainly from Libya and other north African countries who had been parked on Malta by their rich parents to get them away from the wars.

I auditioned at one school just to introduce myself, I had not even waved my certificate.

“Are you a teacher?”

“Well sort of”

“Come with me.”

She took me to a classroom full of adult Libyans, threw me in and told me to have fun.
There was a beamer connected to the internet so I ran “Dinner for one” and discussed it for the rest of the 90 minutes. Try explaining the deeper meaning of “Oooo! A´l kill that Cat!

I did actually have fun there, for a week or two at least until the schedule conflicted with my real job and I had to quit, also I found out that I am dyslexic.

On 10/25/2019, 10:45:26, Maarsch said:

I've seen +1 quite a bit in America.

For your . . . significant other. Which I was also aware of.

And in modern internet SO.

However, I was referred to as DH for a bit before I figured that one out.

And I haven't put in the time to see what the reverse is. Though I assume DW would work.

I was wrong. This came up in conversation the other day.

There is Dear Husband (DH)

Dear Son (DS)

Dear Daughter (DD)

But no Dear Wife (DW)

Coz only certain women on certain parts of the internet use this.

And none of them are gay?

So there's no need for DW.

I think I am going to have to have a little talk with my student. She started subtly hitting on me...