The English Teacher's Corner

169 posts in this topic

Since so many of us are in the English business, I thought it woudl be nice to have a place to share tips, tricks, links and stories related to teaching, translating, coaching, etc.

This is not the place to ask. "How do I get a job teaching English in Germany?".

I learned a new false friend: pathetisch

The CEO I was coaching wanted to end his start-up presentation with "Dare to be Pathetic!"

Well, this was going to become a helpful thread, but we seem to have an inheritor to TCTCNBN. English teachers, do not accept appointments from anyone who refuses to give their name and do not give out information. Use caution when accepting new clients. Someone is either trying to do a VERY POORLY ORCHESTRATED mystery shop or we have a creeper in the Rhein-Neckar region. Remember, right before the holidays is peak break-in/robbery season.

Sorry to see this thread has been intefered with, I'd been looking forward to sharing ideas, oh well! 

If I tried to disturb my business English students with sentence diagrams, I would be fired immediately.

Well, this was going to become a helpful thread, but we seem to have an inheritor to TCTCNBN. English teachers,

If I tried to disturb my business English students with sentence diagrams, I would be fired immediately.

um, who said anything about business English?

I'm sorry. Did you mean that you do nachhilfe for kids when you mentioned "English business" and "teaching" in the first post? My apologies. I only teach business English. I guess this thread isn't for me.

For anyone who does adult education in business English: If you have a student who is not learning, I recommend running a VAK test on them. You can find them online.

Oh, and Tor, that diagram just sent me back to phonetics tutorials... not a place I wanted to be even back then :D

I think you'll see from my first post that...well...nevermind.

please read the first sentence again...

So your first sentence is not inclusive of business English so my very innocuous statement that I would be fired for trying to use your parser as it is unnecessary to my area of English business is somehow not on point? Well, I "woudln't" know how to respond. What words did you read in my post? That is one of those magical internet specialties, isn't it? By that, I mean the "reading words that are not there" skill.

Thanks for that AlexTr,  I'm a business english trainer too.

I'll go one further and give you one of my class favorites. When you have many kinaesthetic and visual learners in a class (and this will happen in classes with engineers and technicians - also some IT), get yourself a shoe box and a handful of some kind of small figurines. I have found that this is the best way to get those types of learners engaged on spatial prepositions. Make it fun by allowing them to name the figures beforehand or to choose a figure to represent them. Even my 50 year-old engineers have fun with this. Start with placing one figure and naming the location. The people who are technical draftsmen can make notes by making three-dimensional drawings to help them drive it home. It is easily transported and produces results for these types of learners. It's a great way to help guys who got left out of the loop in gymnasium English feel a sense of accomplishment.

so how is "I would get fired" a helpful idea? what does it contribute to this thread about teaching English?

When my business English students (see what I did there?) ask for extra listening material, I often direct them to NPR All Things Considered, and also the Business section.

Did TT stop being a chat forum at some point? My business customers barely have time to meet with me, so referring them to work they have to do outside of class does not help them.

If I brought a box of smurfs into Ernst and Young they would say, "Some dipshit tried that with us last week and we fired them.'

My clients listen to the podcasts in their cars or on the train, and it leads to discussions amongst themelsves and at future lessons. So, yes, I would call that helpful.

Does amyone else have any helpful tips, tricks, links and stories related to teaching, translating, coaching, etc.?