3 year old recovering after fever, what to give?

45 posts in this topic

Another thing you could do is to call for a taxi to take you to the nearest hospital emergency room. 

I hope your daughter feels better soon!

As a doctor, I have to say, If your child was ill and febrile, and NOW acting what you describe as lethargic and not taking in fluids and acting inappropriately then you really need to have her seen NOW.  

This does not sound normal, and if you were my patient, I would want to see you.  

If she is OK then fine, but better safe than sorry.  

Do you have an emergency room you can take her to nearby?  Try to have someone who speaks German with you, if you do not. 

If you haven't phoned the nearest Kinderklinik or Artzliche Notdienst by now then please do and let them decide if it an emergency. Dehydration can happen quickly. 

I also am from the medical business. A child that refuses to drink after a fever with heavy breathing MUST GO TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY.

It needs intravenous fluids immediately!!!

Also, symptoms in chidren tend to be paradox - what looks like a cold can also be a severe urinary tract infection.

This can get dangerous quickly.

Go.Now.

Please.

I agree with what everyone said/wrote, time to see the doctor.

For the future, a tip, we bought some electrolyte solution at the pharmcy then made popsciles out of them (or put in an ice cube tray then once frozen, transfer to a container in freezer). This summer, right at the onset of the heatwave, my son suddenly got a high fever. Luckily, we had a/c in one room and that is where we spent 2 days and we gave him some ice cubes to suck/chew on (you can easily make ice chips too).

Thank you all for your replies and support. My daughter is much better now, I took her to the doctors this morning and she gave a syrup to give her. Ambroxyl (sorry if I spelt that wrong). She has a dry cough and she said that it would loosen up the mucous.

I am so touched that there really are concerned people out there willing to help. So I thank you all again.

As there have been doctors replying to this post, is it ok to mix the medicine with some juice to make it taste better? or must it be strictly taken with water? 

Good to hear she's better, but that collective thump you might have heard on Sunday evening was TT slapping its head at WHY you didn't just call the doctor when the symptoms first appeared.

Next time this happens, do not pass Go, do not go on TT, take that list of emergency medical telephone numbers down off the wall and CALL them. 

Over the years we had to call for a doctor a couple of times during the night for our kid when she was really sick.  A doctor came within a couple of hours to look in on her and prescribed medication and a course of action.  It's really not that big a deal.

Agree with others. So glad your little one is ok, but  much safer to call an emergency MD.  Dehydration, lethargy, refusal to drink are Red Flags. If this happens- call a medical advice number, or 112, rather than waste time on the internet.

We all are happy this ended well, but our relief needn't come down so hard on baby's mum.  Inexperience in a foreign land where you don't really know the language and haven't had a really sick child before can lead to reluctance to act in case you're doing something wrong.  Many years ago one of my little children, barely a toddler, was sick with something that gave him diarrhea for several days.  In those days I wasn't familiar with the dangers of dehydration and it was the US, so doctors were expensive for poor student families; I remember one day my poor baby stood in front of me and filled his diaper - he looked at me so helplessly.  His eyes were sunken - he was a miserable baby.  Somehow he lived through it, but I've never forgotten how wretched he must have felt. 

So if your baby isn't well and you don't know what to do, call the doctor.  We promise not to shame you and make you reluctant to come back to TT for advice.

As there have been doctors replying to this post, is it ok to mix the medicine with some juice to make it taste better? or must it be strictly taken with water? 

I don't think anyone replied to this, and I'm not in the medical field, but I don't think it'd hurt to mix the medicine with juice. My mom was a nurse and often crushed pills and put them in applesauce for her patients.

However, I don't think I would mix the medicine with juice. I'd just give it, assuming she'll take it, full-strength. Then I'd give her some juice.

Some juices - especially grapefruit and pineapple - can drastically affect medicines.

Always read the label! If the label is in German look it up online - if you can get on Toytown you can get on Google.

Better still take the time to get complete instructions from the doctor and/or pharmacist. Especially the pharmacist, actually, because explaining drugs is their profession, and they will have more time.

Specifically: Ambroxol works by relieving the pain of a sore throat and cough so the sore tissues can recover. I know this because I'm on it myself right now. It can irritate the stomach, so mixing it with an acidic juice is not a good idea. Most mixtures and lozenges are very sickly sweet - especially the baby versions - so you don't need to sweeten the pill.

Thank you all for replying and especially  Katheliz - you said  

"Inexperience in a foreign land where you don't really know the language and haven't had a really sick child before can lead to reluctance to act in case you're doing something wrong." 

This is exactly how I feel.

My daughter is now recovering and has a sore throat, it has only been a few days since she has been sick, but it seems like a lifetime. I don't know when her sore throat will be better - how long does Amboxol take to kick in? she likes the taste of it thankfully, but she is still complaining of a sore throat. She only started taking it yesterday, should her sore throat be gone by now?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I just hate seeing her suffering like this.

Did she get tested for Scharlach (scarlet fever aka "strep throat with a rash") ? This is very common among toddler-aged kids. It is a "dreaded" disease, causing parents to get into a real panic when they see this sign posted to the door of of their daycare or Kindergarten! As it's a bacterial infection, she'll need antibiotics.They do have a quick test, a painless, but uncomfortable throat swab that kids don't like (my son vomited once after his). 

I'm sure you've already done this now, but make sure you get your pediatrican on speed-dial and find out which clinics "prefer" children, just in case. We have 3 hospitals where I live, but only one has a true pediatric ward. Luckily, it's only a 5 minute drive away so I always go there. Of course any ER will see your child, but with our Uni-Klinik I know there are several peds on call.

Also, write down the emergency numbers. For house emergencies on weekends, evenings, holidays, etc.  call 116 117. They will give you advice!

I agree, have the child tested with a throat swab.

I need to add scarlet fever is NOT identical to strep throat.

Scarlet fever is just DESCRIBED as presenting as "strep throat with a rash", but it's not the same thing. However, both can be tested with a swab, and need antibiotics.

Ambroxol is NOT an antibiotic, but just a secretolytic, meaning it unspecifically helps loosen the mucus and help the dry cough.

Thus, there is no kicking in of a magic bullet, just easing of symptoms.

Sunshine25 you need to find an English-speaking Hausartz or Paediatrician, and put their business card in your handbag and on the fridge door.

Next, go out and buy a really good baby thermometer. Every home should have one.

The sore throat is most likely caused by a virus.

Antibiotics will not help.

It could last for more than a week, but it will go away slowly.

The main risk is that bacteria take advantage of the sore tissues, and cause infection.

If this happens your daughter will get a fever. This is where the thermometer comes in.

Check her temperature morning and night, and in between if she seems hot.

If she gets a fever call the doc immediately (day or night) and tell him or her: "Mein Kind hat Fieber". They will do what is necessary. That's their job.

In general keep her warm and cosy, with lots of rest. Avoid unnecessary contact with causes of infection (other people, pets, dirty objects and surfaces etc.) and give her water with a little honey which will work with the medicine to sooth the sore throat.

For yourself, and for children old enough to gargle, heated heavily-salted water is a relieving gargle that is used whenever needed.  Sorry, I don't know any time-tested home remedies for a sore throat.  Well, my mother used to give us butter and sugar mixed together.  We always begged for it, but probably for the taste and not because it worked for more than a few minutes.

Thanks for all your help and support.

Elfenstar -  she doesn't have "strep throat with a rash" ,  well at least the doctor didn't check for it anyway.

she is getting a little better everyday, just her cough and sore throat is left. It has been quite a  scare this past week, but thanks for everyone's understanding especially Katheliz - where are you based, if you don't mind me asking?

sunshine25, I lived in Rosenheim for ten years but have been back in California since 1982.