British EU exit - how it'll affect expats in Germany

674 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, paulwork said:

I can imagine its quite hard for the younger generation who have grandparents in an ageing population, who probably voted to leave, to make much sense of all this as a tough love gesture, for an alleged brighter and unrestricted future.

Totally agree ..

21 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

The immigration argument is bullshit. They don't want Polish but are OK with Indians and Pakistanis? 

Perhaps that has to do with good Indian restaurants ^_^.

One thing I find laughable and that to me proves maybe leave was right is that the EU are apparently working on a new rule to stop countries leaving.

1 hour ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Well well, I have my first ever red mark. I have not insulted anyone or used bad language as some people in this thread have done. Some of my statements (see below) must have hit home.

'Looking at all the red marks around me I feel in very good company.'

White Rose of Athen, wonder no more, TT is a collection of all grades of brains. Some people just think because they feel bad, so they think they could make someone else feel bad. Works only if you come down to their level of imbecility. One always has to consider that TT could be infiltrated by MI6 or CIA agents and we all know their brain stopped developing after age 3 or they would not be in those organisations.

Indians and Pakistanis are ex-imperial subjects. They may be seen as totally alien to Portugal, but less so to many English. Eastern Europeans, however, had nothing to do with the Empire, so they may as well have been living on another planet.

1 hour ago, Lyra said:

I was out campaigning for Remain and believe it or not, I came across a lot of people who don't differentiate.  There really are people out there who think that all immigrants (even those who've been in the UK four or five generations) will be sent back.

Yes.  Some people really are that stupid.  

The problem was that the words on the ballot paper were to long and this confused a lot of Labour supporters. 

13 minutes ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

Indians and Pakistanis are ex-imperial subjects. They may be seen as totally alien to Portugal, but less so to many English. Eastern Europeans, however, had nothing to do with the Empire, so they may as well have been living on another planet.

I wonder ( out of curiosity and not out of any animosity) how British Asians voted or , for that matter, other citizens - black Brits, Jews, Chinese-Brits, Irish living in Scotland or England or Wales... Whether that is relevant? Generational aspects there, too?

I'd be curious to know that too, but haven't seen any numbers myself.  I would expect that it would break down on parallel lines, with young people being pro-EU and older people less so, but overall more pro-EU than the rest of the population.  That's just a hunch though.

10 minutes ago, john g. said:

I wonder ( out of curiosity and not out of any animosity) how British Asians voted or , for that matter, other citizens - black Brits, Jews, Chinese-Brits, Irish living in Scotland or England or Wales... Whether that is relevant? Generational aspects there, too?

I dont have any statistics but the british asians I know (aged around 30) voted out claiming it was self evidently the right choice.  They were understanding of my "remain" stance, but apparently confused that it wasnt just self interest but an opinion that remain would be better in general.  Frankly I was surprised, but it is worth noting that it was the average working class that voted us out, and from the maps I have seen largely scottish, expats and london voting for remain.  Bradford etc were all majority out.

8 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

I dont have any statistics but the british asians I know (aged around 30) voted out claiming it was self evidently the right choice.  They were understanding of my "remain" stance, but apparently confused that it wasnt just self interest but an opinion that remain would be better in general.  Frankly I was surprised, but it is worth noting that it was the average working class that voted us out, and from the maps I have seen largely scottish, expats and london voting for remain.  Bradford etc were all majority out.

Interesting! You mention Bradford- large British Asian population. Ah well, how much is social class dependent rather than ethnic origin?

@Gaberlunzi:  ROFL.  I am not Greek I am British. Yorkshire is the county I come from and has a white rose with five petals as its emblem, hence my name WRY

Thank you for your kind words. Hope they still count.

5 hours ago, paulwork said:

I can imagine its quite hard for the younger generation who have grandparents in an ageing population, who probably voted to leave, to make much sense of all this as a tough love gesture, for an alleged brighter and unrestricted future.

I know here this British guy married to a EU girl and they have 4 kids, his parents voted out and he was so pissed, the first thing he told them is that if pensions can't be easily transferred anymore or if you can't accumulate working years in UK and EU then he is never coming back to UK because he worked most of his life out of UK.   His parents still think it was the correct thing to do.

3 hours ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

Czechs, another planet?  Really?

I would guess that your average Czech, Lithuanian, or Pole would assimulate better than many Indians/Pakistanis.  At least they don't have arranged marriages, honor killings, etc. That is, if the Brits gave them a chance.  I don't know the UK well enough to know if the "anti-immigrant" sentiment is mainly anti-foreigner in general, or racist, but it sounds like the former.  

The difference is that Indians and Pakistanis usually speak perfect English albeit with a strange accent and their education and legal systems are often based on the British System.

When they come to the UK they don't have as many problems to settle in as people from other countries may have.  

14 minutes ago, naberlin said:

Czechs, another planet?  Really?

I would guess that your average Czech, Lithuanian, or Pole would assimulate better than many Indians/Pakistanis.  At least they don't have arranged marriages, honor killings, etc. That is, if the Brits gave them a chance.  I don't know the UK well enough to know if the "anti-immigrant" sentiment is mainly anti-foreigner in general, or racist, but it sounds like the former.  

The whole issue is very multidimensional.  Different things bother different people.  Some people don't care if someone else is living in a "parallel society" as long as they aren't competing with them for jobs.  Some people care very much.  And so on and so forth, with every permutation of prejudice possible.

My girlfriend (soon to be wife) told me to ask this so please no one be judgemental here.

When the Germans kick me out, will they still come after me for child support due to the fact I have a German kid ?

Only if your wife asks for help from German taxpayers, then it will be expected that you help her too. If she is independently wealthy and does not need you to help support her and the child then no. 

If you want to live in Germany but have to temporarily leave then I hope you study German in your spare time while abroad even if just by yourself at home. 

If you send money to your dependents then most likely you can deduct some of these payments from your income tax. 

9 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

My girlfriend (soon to be wife) told me to ask this so please no one be judgemental here.

When the Germans kick me out, will they still come after me for child support due to the fact I have a German kid ?

I doubt they will, because as a loving and responsible father you will pay voluntarily anyway.