British EU exit - how it'll affect expats in Germany

674 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, AlexTr said:

I'd like to thank the Brits for giving next year's British university graduates a reason to think moving to Germany to teach English and party for a year or two isn't such a great idea. I really need fewer people deflating the market price for English instruction.

@AlexTr, wishful thinking, it seems like next year might actually be their last year to party. I would expect an increase not a decrease.

37 minutes ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

2. The propaganda campaign has already begun,  “elderly voters  have destroyed the future of the younger generation”  How do they know this? Votes are held in secret and the elderly are as entitled to their opinion as much as younger voters are.

They did research after the vote on age groups and then split between Remain or Leave. The majority of the elderly in England voted to Leave.

50 minutes ago, RenegadeFurther said:

Can see Scotland leaving. Northern Ireland I can`t see merging with ROI.

ROI can`t afford it.

Most people in RoI really don't want to share their country with a million angry Orangemen.

Poor NI is like the ugly ginger kid neither parent wants custody of after the divorce.

"It is a matter of fact that the older you are, the more likely you are to make the effort to vote - 78% of those 65 or over voted in the 2015 election, compared with 43% of 18-24 year olds and 54% of 25-34 year olds.

Despite the last minute rush to register - which saw 2.6 million people sign up, many of them younger voters, between 15 May and the extended deadline of 9 June - the breakdown may not be radically different this time."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36574526

Polling stations are open on a working day from 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.and yet in 2015 not even 50% of the 18-24 year olds bothered to vote.

1 hour ago, RenegadeFurther said:

@AlexTr, wishful thinking, it seems like next year might actually be their last year to party. I would expect an increase not a decrease.

Not really, the British or at least the English+Welsh will effectively become like Canadians or Americans, if a full divorce happens.  What prevents Americans from partying in Berlin is the ocean.

what I can't stand are all the now british refugees in germany taking away jobs and sucking off the dole.  I say, close the borders and go back where you came from.

Renegade - there's no need to feed the troll.
It is just another pathetic attempt at turning this into yet another migrant thread.

If you are logged in go to the top right of the page. There's a down arrow to the right of your name. Click that and a menu appears. Select "Ignored users" and you can add the appropriate user name to your list.

Britain is fucked. 2 years from now, England will have as much power amd influence as it did in the early 1700s before the Act of Union - it is a catastrophe of epic proportions.

13 minutes ago, Chocky said:

Britain is fucked. 2 years from now, England will have as much power amd influence as it did in the early 1700s before the Act of Union - it is a catastrophe of epic proportions.

It may be of epic proportion, but a catastrophe it ain't. Never underestimate UK's behind the curtain diplomatic capacity.

As a consolation prize, we Americans we would like to give the UK one Donald Trump. Maybe his oversized ego can replace the world's largest free market.

It's mostly Geert Wilders (Party for Freedom), Marion Maréchal-Le Pen (Front National) and the likes in other EU countries who rejoice and demand referenda in their countries, hoping for a Nexit or a Frexit etc. Beatrix von Storch, vice party leader of the AfD, admitted to having "cried tears of joy" upon the Brexit news. Alexander Gauland however isn't happy about the result and blamed Chancellor Merkel for it; Frauke Petry sees the Brexit as a signal that the EU should not proceed on its way towards further integration and respect national sovereignty more.

But even in the FAZ, an opinion piece, "Ein neuer Deal für die Briten", FAZ, 24 June 2016, applauds the courageous decision of preferring freedom over economic and social safety:

Die Mehrheit der Briten hat der Freiheit den Vorzug gegeben vor ökonomischer und sozialer Sicherheit. Das wirtschaftliche Kalkül hat gegenüber dem auf größere nationale Eigenständigkeit bedachten Herzen den Kürzeren gezogen – eine aus deutscher Perspektive erstaunliche Interessenabwägung. Die Briten haben damit der Demokratie in Europa einen Dienst erwiesen. Ihre Entscheidung, die EU zu verlassen, gibt Bürgern anderer Mitgliedsländer Hoffnung, auch ihre Regierung werde nun stärker auf Kritik hören.

The commentator thinks that the British voters did democracy a great service and gave hope to other Europeans that their governments might listen more closely to their concerns. She also advocats for a fair deal between the UK and the EU.

I think it's a high price to pay for a wake-up call for the European Union, and I suspect the freedom that the neoliberal commentator has in mind is not what most Brexiteers signed up for.

Its devious, but bankrupt companies do it every day... Why not just "rebrand" the EU under another name. Then technically, since that entity no longer exists, the UK vote doesn't apply. It might not kick up such a stink for the people who already voted brexit, if whatver the re-branded EU is, isn't just a cosmetic name change, but it is a bit reformed as well. Wishful thinking...

8 hours ago, PeterN said:

Renegade - there's no need to feed the troll.
It is just another pathetic attempt at turning this into yet another migrant thread.

If you are logged in go to the top right of the page. There's a down arrow to the right of your name. Click that and a menu appears. Select "Ignored users" and you can add the appropriate user name to your list.

I assume you are referring to me.

renegade is TT savy enough without your help.

The fact is, british citizens will no longer enjoy the same migrant/expat status as they did before the vote.  how different it will be, no one knows right now and if you don't think this notion is pertinent to this thread's headline, then i suggest you return to your fine british schools and take a lesson in logic.  oh wait, those schools produced the voters who now regret their votes.  never mind.

8 hours ago, RenegadeFurther said:

And the 300,000 germans in the uk?

they're sweating bullets too.

when you vote to replace all workers with robots because you can't stand your manager, guess what?  shit happens.

3 hours ago, paulwork said:

Its devious, but bankrupt companies do it every day... Why not just "rebrand" the EU under another name. Then technically, since that entity no longer exists, the UK vote doesn't apply. It might not kick up such a stink for the people who already voted brexit, if whatver the re-branded EU is, isn't just a cosmetic name change, but it is a bit reformed as well. Wishful thinking...

Absolutely brilliant. I mean, what problem in the modern world *can't* be "solved" by a little rebranding, I ask you. ;)

Well well, I have my first ever red mark. I have not insulted anyone or used bad language as some people in this thread have done. Some of my statements (see below) must have hit home.

An extract from my first statement.

I have the distinct impression that some people here cannot accept a different opinion to their own.

The election results are not even 24 hours old and there is already a campaign for a second referendum on the same subject. How democratic is this?  Do people have to vote so long until the desired outcome is attained? 

An extract from a later post.

Polling stations are open on a working day from 7.00 a.m. to 10.00 p.m.and  yet in 2015 not even 50% of the 18-24 year olds bothered to vote.

There is more to life than going to a disco and chilling out. If young voters felt so passionately about staying in the EU why didn’t they cast a vote when they had the chance? Of course they are not blame, the older voters who went to the poll stations are to blame. The leave side were obviously more intelligent and more motivated to go to the polling stations than the remain party were.

Looking at all the red marks around me I feel in very good company.:D

I can imagine its quite hard for the younger generation who have grandparents in an ageing population, who probably voted to leave, to make much sense of all this as a tough love gesture, for an alleged brighter and unrestricted future.