Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to raise the height of a table, make table legs longer

16 posts in this topic

Weird topic, I suppose, but here it is... We inherited a dining room table + 6 chairs from hubs grandma/pa. It's an original from the 70s and I guess we're the retro family. Unfortunately, we hadn't looked at it first before saying "yes, we'll take it". Once we got it we realized the table it really, really low (we put new cushions on the chairs). The table top is at 73cm (which is too low for a dining table IMO), but because of the table extension which is stored unerneath the table, the area under the table starts at 63cm, so barely above a persons thighs.

So what are my options? I don't even know the words in German to try and go about finding a solution or what type of professional to call in case I have to get something custom made (either an extension or hopefully not, new table legs).

The legs are chrome. Can't seem to upload a photo...

How much more height are you thinking of ?

1-2 cm could be achieved by nailing some plastic or felt (DIY  store) on the bottom of the legs. Otherwise, if you want more height, take one leg to a "Schreinerei" or "Holzwerkstatt" and get a proposal (and a quote).

Saw 10 cm off each chair leg... ;)

amazon.com has table leg extenders, but I don't know if you can buy something similar here

thanks sosarx. i didn't know the right term to begin looking and it looks like it won't be easy to take a leg off the table. maybe we can find some thicker plastic caps that would fit inside the legs, like the old ones, to raise the table. won't look as elegant, but probably cheaper than having to get new table legs made.

Oh, here is a picture. for some reason it worked uploading it here to this post!

DSC_2944_.JPG

Oh, I see it's metal feet.

The plastic caps are called "Fußstopfen" . Take their measure and google or go by at Hornbach/OBI/Bauhaus in the "Eisenwaren"-department where they sell all the screws etc. They usually have a number of items which could fit.

get a piece of wood, either round or square, drill a hole bigger than the leg in, but not all the way through, it.

So in germany you'd call what you need a "Tischerhöhung" or "Möbelerhöhung" but damn this stuff is expensive. Here some on Amazon, the Bamboo looking square ones are kinda cool. 

http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Ddrugstore&field-keywords=tischerhöhung&sprefix=tischerhöhung%2Cdrugstore%2C197

Bloody hell!! I'm in the wrong job, I can knock those out before tea break for a lot less than that.

Use a fat tree trunk in the middle. The flip side is that the table legs would be hanging in mid air.

tree 1.jpg

tree2.jpg