Refund on flights?

24 posts in this topic

Hi all, just a quick question, do the same consumer rights (14 days to get a refund) apply for flights booked? I've found a great deal which I want to book now but cannot be 100% sure we'll be able to make the dates the flights are available.

Thanks.

No, not at all, unless you book a refundable flight, which is very expensive.  Non-refundable flights are cheaper but getting rid of them can be prohibitively expensive also. (Hence, non-refundable.)

Most airlines or ticket agents will cancel your reservation within 24 hours of purchase. Don't use the word refund but rather cancel the reservation. I believe Orbitz now offers 48 hours after purchase cancellation if I remember the advertisement correctly (no guarantee on any of this however).

The agency cancellation policies are a mixed bag and a moving target depending on location of buyer, airline, etc.  Read the fine print.

Even if you don’t get the whole price of the ticket back you might get the taxes and expenses. I recently got a bit over €100 back on a cancelled €150 basic-tariff Lufthansa ticket. This does not work with RyanAir &Co, though.

Even if you don’t get the whole price of the ticket back you might get the taxes and expenses. I recently got a bit over €100 back on a cancelled €150 basic-tariff Lufthansa ticket. This does not work with RyanAir &Co, though.

RyanAir would probably charge you extra just for asking!

has anyone had a flight cancelled due to corona and still waiting for a refund? Would be good to share the experience here. I am waiting on Ryanair since March for a refund for a flight booked for June...

Got an email last week from Ryanair saying that we would receive our refund ...soon. I believe they say on their website that refunds will be paid within 5 business days of getting notification of such.

UPDATE!: Just checked our bank account - they paid! Miracles do happen. Maybe they'll come up with a vaccine for Corona next.

@Aussiedog good to know!

Some questions for you:

• When were you due to fly?
  • Did you write to them?
  • Did you accept their voucher?

Thanks!!

1. Early June 2020

2. Did it through their website.

3. Clearly not! (You can't have your cake...) Gambled on getting a refund.

Good luck!

Thanks, very helpful for me - my situation is identical -except that I'm still waiting...

I'll give it till the end of the month

Finally just got the refund x two return flights to the Far East that we originally booked via Opodo and got COVID-cancelled.

Fligths bought january 2020, were due on 29.3, got canceled like 72hr before departure. Never mind on the day of "departure" Opodo was still sending us SMS confirming the flights were on time, don't forget your check-in blah blah, although the air company already stated "sorry it's canceled".

From cancellation to refund it took us zillions of phonecalls, unanswered of course, 99.99% of the times a machine was simply telling us "sorry mate, this booking number does not exist, bye bye...", trillions of emails, much stress, and almost 5 months.

They did offer us a rescheduling. But it had to be within their condition, the whole travel to be over maximum within 1yr of the day of booking, which was for us not acceptable. Otherwise we would have accepted the rescheduliung.

All in all we lost 60eur, on a total of ca 1400eur, I think this 60eur is a PayPal fee for the refund.

My friend who booked my flight to China through Opodo also texted me this past week that he supposedly got a refund from them now but he's currently on holidays so we'll figure it out when he's back.

5 hours ago, McDee said:

Do they not have Internet banking, Leon?

I don't know.  I have internet banking myself but it's only set up on my computer at home so if it were me on holidays owing him money, I'd be telling him to wait too.  

On 8/5/2020, 2:23:16, dom said:

Thanks, very helpful for me - my situation is identical -except that I'm still waiting...

I'll give it till the end of the month

Got it now! ryanair have recently put another online form on their website to confirm you don't want their voucher. After filling this out, I got the refund within a few hours.

My mom just got the refund from LH for my cancelled trip in July... planning December.... we'll see...

:huh: Isn't it the seller who has to pay that fee? 

On 15/08/2020, 15:02:17, Gambatte said:

All in all we lost 60eur, on a total of ca 1400eur, I think this 60eur is a PayPal fee for the refund.

10 hours ago, lunaCH said:

:huh: Isn't it the seller who has to pay that fee? 

Correct! Paypal doesn't charge buyers for receiving their refunds!