Unemployment benefits

58 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I searched for this in the forum, but the questions I have are a bit specific and I was not able to answer them. 

A very good friend of mine will become unemployed in 4 months. His contract will end cuz he has been paid by the University, which used a project coming to an end in 4 months itself. He has worked in Germany for well over 2 years and he wants to know what he has to do in order to be entitled unemployment benefits. He speaks no German whatsoever.

What we've learned:

- 3 months before his contract ends, he will have to inform the Arbeitsamt that he will become unemployed, and enroll himself on the system;

- He will be entitled a salary of 60% of whatever he made in the last year (actually a good salary - about 2500€ net a month)

- He will be assigned a Berater who will send him work offers and courses he will have to consider.

Now, what we wanna know:

1) He speaks, like I said, no German. Will he be assigned a Berater that speaks English or should he go with someone who speaks German?

2) He is highly educated (has a PhD and has done a PosDoc), and so there are very few suitable jobs. Will the Berater *always* take this into account, at least for the first 4 months? If not, can he reject a job offer below say 2000€ a month arguing he use to get 2500€? Will they kick him to the curb solely on that?

3) How many jobs does he have to apply for? Is there a minimum? Or should he apply for every job his Berater suggests?

4) He told me he will give it a shot in Germany for an extra month. If he doesn't find something he finds suitable, he prefers to return to Italy and continue seeking a job there. From what we learned, there is a form for this and it should be fine, but:

4.1) Should he have an ongoing rental agreement?

4.2) After 3 months, is he obliged to return to Germany?

4.3) Can he simply do the abmeldung in Germany and return to Italy for good, after these 3 months, losing all the benefits? Or is he still bounded to any duties in this period?

5) Say that he finds a job he likes in Italy while he's there for the time he transferred his benefits (the 3-month period I talked about). Does he have to return to Germany, to abmelden or anything else?

Thank you

No he will not be signed an English speaking Berater. It is purely luck if his Berater speaks English or not. Bringing a translator always helps.

2) He is highly educated (has a PhD and has done a PosDoc), and so there are very few suitable jobs. Will the Berater *always* take this into account, at least for the first 4 months? If not, can he reject a job offer below say 2000€ a month arguing he use to get 2500€? Will they kick him to the curb solely on that?

The Berater does not care if he has a PhD or worked in Mcdonalds, The Beraters job is to get your friend out of unemployment and paying taxes as soon as possible. 

3) How many jobs does he have to apply for? Is there a minimum? Or should he apply for every job his Berater suggests?

There is no minimum but he must show an effort that he is actively looking.

4) He told me he will give it a shot in Germany for an extra month. If he doesn't find something he finds suitable, he prefers to return to Italy and continue seeking a job there. From what we learned, there is a form for this and it should be fine, but:

Not sure, but he must tell the Agentur that he is looking abroad.

Sometimes the Agentur might pay 3 months while he is looking in Italy, but it depends on each case.

4.1) Should he have an ongoing rental agreement?

They don`t care.

4.2) After 3 months, is he obliged to return to Germany?

No one came make him return to Germany. He should de register in Germany if he does not want to return.

Thanks for the answer. A few comments / questions, inline.

The Berater does not care if he has a PhD or worked in Mcdonalds, The Beraters job is to get your friend out of unemployment and paying taxes as soon as possible. 

I didn't see that one coming... can he at least reject offers for jobs paying much less than what he earned in his previous job?

(what I read about this suggests that only 4 months after his registration the Berater can ignore his background and offer him jobs in different areas / asking for different qualifications, but I've never been in the system and so I don't know) 

There is no minimum but he must show an effort that he is actively looking.

I am confused. Should he respond to whatever jobs the Berater offers him, should he seek jobs by himself and show the Berater that he broke a sweat, or both at the same time?

Sometimes the Agentur might pay 3 months while he is looking in Italy, but it depends on each case.

I think that he has the right to move abroad for 3 months, while extensions are up to the Agentur to be granted, but again, I am not sure. 

I didn't see that one coming... can he at least reject offers for jobs paying much less than what he earned in his previous job?

While this is true, it is misleading.  The berater obviously doesnt care which job an unemployed person takes but they will look for work which is appropriate and only if it is clealry not possible to find work in the right field will they start pushing thngs like retail.  Expect to get 5 or 6 job adverts in the post every week or so, and they need to all be applied for or you have to describe why not (for example I already accepted another offer, or I cant do that role because it says must be a native german speaker).

If he wants to leave, he had to apply to have his benefits transferred to another EU country.  If granted, he will be given a letter and this letter he will have to show when he gets to the other EU country and registers as unemployed there and this must happen within 7 days of arriving there.  In that case, he will continue getting benefits for 3 months.  After the 3 months are up, he will either lose his benefits or if he wants to return to Germany and continue the benefits, he could do that.

Someone with a PhD in Computer science and presumably under thirty should have no problems finding a job in Germany, his lack of German skills only meaning that he'll be limited to a subset of the wide range of job offers available to someone with his academic background. Tell your friend to move his butt, update his CV and start searching for the right keywords in Monster.de (among others). Then apply away.  Four  months should be more than enough time for him to find a job, no need to worry about talks with the Arbeitsamt besides informing them "just in case".

For what it's worth I have been through the system. I even moved in the middle of it and so have experience from two places (Saarbrücken and Munich). My experience was very relaxed. This is ALG I not ALG II and so the treatment is very different. Both my agents were only interested in finding me jobs in my appropriate field, in whatever locations I approved with and to provide whatever advice was appropriate to my situation. They did not tell me to go to German classes or make me apply to any jobs I did not want to. I was merely provided with suggestions (maybe 2 a week maximum) and as long as every month or two I provided them with a list of job applications I had done (way more than they were expecting - it seemed 2 or 3 a week was enough) then I was basically left alone.

Just to be clear, I was only in the system for 5 months (3 months Sperrzeit and 2 months payment) so maybe that get stricter over time I don't know.

Other than that basically what everyone else said. Take a translator - English is not guaranteed. As long as your friend gets stuck in then he should have a good chance of finding a job and should get no trouble from the Arbeitsamt, and if he wants to move back to Italy they will continue to pay for up to 3 months.

"He has worked in Germany for well over 2 years.  He speaks no German whatsoever.

He is highly educated (has a PhD and has done a PosDoc)."

Well, his chances of a job will be immeasurably better if he concentrates on learning German rapidly!

On 8/31/2015, 8:28:28, jeremyhay said:

"He has worked in Germany for well over 2 years.  He speaks no German whatsoever.

He is highly educated (has a PhD and has done a PosDoc)."

Well, his chances of a job will be immeasurably better if he concentrates on learning German rapidly!

Dear all,

There is a similar case here with a friend, who has a family (The husband is working part-time and also attending the "Deutsch B2 mit Beruf" in his chosen profession):

She is highly educated (PhD and Postdoc--Economics) and has German Telc B1 Certificate. She has worked for a little over two years. She has been asked to learn German "B2 -Deutsch mit Beruf". She has found some courses which offers the  "B2 -Deutsch mit Beruf/Teilzeit" but the Berater insist she must find a course which is full-time. To compensate for this, she mentioned, she take care of her child partly, while looking for job. But the Berater won't understand!

Is there a "B2-Deutsch mit Beruf" course that one could attend for 8 hours each day? So far, offers that are available are part-time.

Now she has the following e-mail, which someone says is a dangerous letter from the Bundesamt:

"Da Sie zuletzt Vollzeit gearbeitet haben und auch für Vollzeit Ihr Arbeitslosengeld erhalten, kann ich Ihnen keine Teilzeitweiterbildung fördern. Es können anteilig Kinderbetreuungskosten übernommen werden während der Weiterbildung bis zu max. 100/Monat.

Hinzu kommt außerdem, dass der Kurs erst im September startet. Das ist zu lange hin. Es ist wichtig, dass der Kurs zeitnah startet, damit Sie die Zeit möglichst sinnvoll nutzen und die Förderung wirtschaftlich und wirksam ist. Recherchieren Sie gerne nochmal nach weiteren Angeboten und senden mir ein neues Bildungsangebot in Vollzeit zu.

Eine Frage bleibt noch: Wäre es Ihnen derzeit überhaupt möglich eine Vollzeit-Arbeitsstelle anzutreten, wenn Sie eine Zusage von einem Arbeitgeber erhalten? Wenn das derzeit nicht möglich ist, müssen Sie das mitteilen, da dann Ihr Arbeitslosengeld auf die Stunden runtergerechnet wird, die Sie zur Verfügung stehen".

Your contributions might be helpful for her to take the right decision and know how to reply this e-mail.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Pa.

44 minutes ago, papak said:

but the Berater insist she must find a course which is full-time. To compensate for this, she mentioned, she take care of her child partly, while looking for job. But the Berater won't understand!

Understand what? Taking care of her child partly is no option, if she wants full ALG. She has to be available to the labor market for disposal. If she takes care of her child partly that's not a compensation but a restriction – to her availability .

Is there a "B2-Deutsch mit Beruf" course that one could attend for 8 hours each day? So far, offers that are available are part-time.

It's actually "Deutsch für den Beruf" and you don't write, where. Google brings up this for HH: http://deutsch.kursportal.info/k324629 

Now she has the following e-mail, which someone says is a dangerous letter from the Bundesamt:

Who is "someone", (Bundesamt is the Agentur für Arbeit?) and what is "dangerous"?

"Da Sie zuletzt Vollzeit gearbeitet haben und auch für Vollzeit Ihr Arbeitslosengeld erhalten, kann ich Ihnen keine Teilzeitweiterbildung fördern. Es können anteilig Kinderbetreuungskosten übernommen werden während der Weiterbildung bis zu max. 100/Monat.

The letter says since she was working full-time she gets ALG 1 full-time now, and there is no support for any part-time things. 

Hinzu kommt außerdem, dass der Kurs erst im September startet. Das ist zu lange hin.

The course starts in september, that's still 3,5 months from now. Too long for them. 

Eine Frage bleibt noch: Wäre es Ihnen derzeit überhaupt möglich eine Vollzeit-Arbeitsstelle anzutreten, wenn Sie eine Zusage von einem Arbeitgeber erhalten? Wenn das derzeit nicht möglich ist, müssen Sie das mitteilen, da dann Ihr Arbeitslosengeld auf die Stunden runtergerechnet wird, die Sie zur Verfügung stehen".

Is she able to start working full time at all, if she'd get a commitment?

If not, she is obliged to tell that to the Agentur für Arbeit because if she is not, she can't get full ALG 1. It will be cut down to the hours she actually could work.

55 minutes ago, papak said:

To compensate for this, she mentioned, she take care of her child partly, while looking for job. But the Berater won't understand!

The Berater understands that very well, because he's trying to tell her not quite stealthily that she should not make such statements - as only being available part-time would lower her ALG1 benefits accordingly. Since she is currently registered as full-time available for jobseeking and looking for full-time employment, him signing off on a part-time course would raise questions in case reviews.

4 hours ago, papak said:

I've never heard of 8 hours/day of language instruction.  When are you supposed to do the homework and prepare?  :blink:

Tell your friend to look for courses in her area and find childcare for the kid. 

Many thanks for your various replies. I believe it is all very helpful in taking a decision.

However, one more thing, what about a full-time "Deutsch fuer den Beruf", which is rare to find.

Your support and suggestions once again is welcomed, to tackle this issue appropriately.

Thank you.

On 29.8.2015, 18:01:53, latino89 said:

He is not allowed to decline jobs that are "zumutbar", for further details see here.

Dear all,

Thank you all very much for your support. Now, she has found a B2 Deutschkurs for full-time. Also,  her child is currently going to the Kindergarten and all seems well now.

But, I still have a quick question to ask on behalf of my friend: the Kindergarten will be on a three week vacation and so she has no where to put the kid now. She brought up an idea which I am not sure is possible and would like to find out.

1. Can she invite her mother to come to Germany to stay with the kid during this three week given her current situation (umemployed and doing a B2 Deutschkurs with the husband working part-time) ?

2. If yes to 1 above, what documents must she use for this? Should she ask the employment office for some support document or just go to the foreigner's office and inform them to get the sponsorship letter?

3. The employment office mentioned, there is a possibility for them to pay for the care of the baby up to some cap, can the mother be paid this amount whilst here or it might not be possible since it is not official?

Looking forward to your kind reply and any other helpful information

Best regards,

Hello, can anybody confirm that without the Arbeitsbescheinigung the application for the ALG1 can't be finished ?

If the employer delays to fill and send this to the Arbeits Agentur, what can the employee do ?

27 minutes ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Hello, can anybody confirm that without the Arbeitsbescheinigung the application for the ALG1 can't be finished ?

Yes – but i think you are unnecessaryly panicking here.

If this is about your 'friend' who's been laid off two or three days ago, the Arbeitgeber doesn't even know until now if your friend fights the termination without notice or not...

And: Informing the Agentur für Arbeit = doing "Arbeitlosmeldung" within 3 days is not the same as applying for ALG1. Those are two different steps. Your friend doesn't need the Bescheinigung for step 1.

Ok, still without finishing the papers no unemployment will be calculated is that correct ?

1 hour ago, bbogdanmircea said:

Ok, still without finishing the papers no unemployment will be calculated is that correct ?

Without letting the employer know if the termination is accepted, the employer can not give a Arbeitsbescheinigung. Is it until this week or until October 31? The employer needs to know. If it's until October 31, your friend will only get it after October 31 ... Most important for your friend now: Step 1 - Arbeitslosmeldung!

Step 2, applying for Arbeitslosengeld, will happen later, in a separate appointment. Then, and only then, your friend needs all the papers.