Is German customer service really that bad? (My experiences including a horrifying story involving Clever Fit München)

117 posts in this topic

Just came back from my local post office. No big queue like usual. When I left, a service employee opened the door for me, wished me a good day, stay safe and asked me to come back again soon. Wow! Could post this in "What flummoxed me today?" as well :).

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Just came back from my local post office. No big queue like usual. When I left, a service employee opened the door for me, wished me a good day, stay safe and asked me to come back again soon. Wow! Could post this in "What flummoxed me today?" as well :).

It's amazing how things change when thy think you could infect them with something :lol:

On 4/13/2018, 9:34:15, cb6dba said:

But do Germans break guitars?

I just went a checked that song out again, still funny...

haha, reading this thread is giving me some stories to tell over a couple of beers next time I home :-)

Here is my ranking of absolutely worse customer service nations (not based on single incident but rather years long exposure):

4) Germans

3) Parisians (but not all French)

2) Czech

1) Swiss...win the contest by a mile! 

In my humble opinion the most customer friendly nations are the Dutch, Scandinavians and Canadians:  it seem to come natural for therm. In eastern Europe; Poland, Latvia, Estonia it seems that people are extremely helpful to foreigners but not that much to their fellow citizens. In the US I am overwhelmed and it makes me feel suspicious, it doesn't feel natural...although I clearly prefer it over German ways.

The (Germanic) Swiss tend to just ignore you. Although they can be excellent at lying to you once you have finally gained their attention... IME. The Germanic Germans on the other hand tend to yell at you from across the shop floor - or directly into your face. Dunno which is better. What a toss up. I have no experience of your other candidates.

To all German shopkeepers:

The phrase to use is 

"I've never seen one of those / we don't sell that"

NOT

"That doesn't exist"

It is too easy for the customer to pull such a difficult to describe item out of the bag and make you look foolish.

Ask that sailor; he does it all the time

😉

As bad as customer service can be... just think how worse it all is when your complaints disappear down the blackhole of faceless internet juggernauts.

I don't even want to spend another 5 minutes typing it all out, but it involves non-shipment of an item spanning 3 weeks now. Apparently, Amazon.de does not officially consider an item late if they never shipped it, not even if each "3-day delivery promise" gets bumped back 4 times. Their customer service chat (not bots, but real people in Serbia, apparently) are utterly useless. More like customer deflection. Polite, but repeat the same squishy lines about sympathizing, will watch the item and get back to me, but can provide no clues, no insights, no info, no help. I guess I'm just disappointed that I thought I would be sent in circles and I was.

I dislike amazon, but couldn't find it elsewhere, was listed as in-stock, so went for it. Yes, I now regret it. It's 'fulfilled by Amazon' but offered by an independent (German!) seller on the site. Contacted her, and she shrugged back that the non-delivery must be my fault, I should check my payment details, and hasn't responded further. 

Of course, I have simply cancelled the order.

I remember for example being interested in a particular model watch. Went up to the watch counter and asked: do you have the Casio xb7n34 or whatever.

I didn't get to finish my sentence before she just cut me off and told me every watch they have is on display.

And she probably thought she was being helpful by telling me to just look for it.

Aren't German shop assistants supposed to be highly trained experts? But not trained enough to know what watches they have in stock, or to look it up.

No much better to let a customer just scan through their display of 1000 watches to find the one he wants.

MadMax, young man!😂

I remember getting to know Fachfrauhotelangestellte or whatever the word is and they would serve me my Jever- and it took 7 minutes!😂

My joke was always „ you trained for  three years and it takes 7 minutes to get me my beer!“

😊

Oh, shoe shops when the kids were small. 

We don't have it in that size.

Might you be getting new stock in?

No idea. 

And that was it. No 'we could order it and it'll be here next week' or anything. Just look - if it's there, you can have it, if not, tough crap.  

17 hours ago, alderhill said:

... disappointed that I thought I would be sent in circles and I was.

Ah... circles... I also have experience of the diagnally opposite corner of the store - both ways.

14 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

... probably thought she was being helpful by telling me to just look for it.

Hilarious... but only cos I've seen this close up... those work colleagues who would spend 20 minutes (yes,, they spent that much time on it... thereby evading more demanding tasks)  "explaining" to a newbie what they could have shown them in 2...

12 hours ago, kiplette said:

...if it's there, you can have it, if not, tough crap.

So, so familiar. :rolleyes: Always wondered where those massively bussomed ladies got their bras. Still wondering actually.

one thing I am always puzzled by in Germany: you spot something in shop's window display, you ask the sales person for it and she/he tells you: they have none left. So you ask what about that one on display and the standard reply is "this one is not for sale".

there is never a clever reply to my followup question "why".  They get confused and defensive sometimes even aggressive... 

I had this situation once and as I walk by a week later, i see same sweater in the window display so I of course assumed the item is back in stock. But no, the item sold out weeks ago and is not going to be reinstated but I am still not allowed to buy the one on display. So I asked "why would you keep displaying it in the window if you don't sell it"? The reply was that it is not my business.  I decided to rest my case at this point, shook my head and never returned to any of this chain's outlets

Whereas in Media Markt they will all too happily sell you the last (display) model at no discount at all. 

I've found the best way to be able to look at things in peace in Saturn/mediamarkt is to look like I need help. 

Try it, look around, notice where all the staff are, look down, pick something up, turn it around, look at the shelf, look down at the thing, pick up another, look up AND OMG WHERE HAVE ALL THE STAFF GONE..

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

What if you're shopping for a refrigerator?

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

They're scared :lol: