Working in Cologne without speaking German

27 posts in this topic

Is there a possibility for you to a get a media job in germany without knowing german? There - I suggested you.

Well I am facing quite a similar issue. Can I get a media related job in Germany without speaking German? I know a little German. So IF anyone could help me

wow - the Toytown guys for Cologne are so helpful and friendly!! I got my head bitten off the other day for asking a question - but that was in another city...

Hi Everybody!

I am a Hungarian girl looking for a job. I moved near Cologne to my boyfriend. I really love being here, and I would like to get a job. I have a problem, my German is poor. I learn German every day, I know a language school would be the best solution for me, but till I have no income I don`t want to start paying. I am a travel administrator, I speak English, some French, bit of German and native Hungarian. Please if you have any idea how to make money in my situation, please write me!

It was very nice to read that somebody`s business pays the language course it`s really cool, but I don’t know if I could find a job like that. Or can I work as a private language teacher? It’s a big city here maybe somebody wants to learn my native language.

Please help me with some ideas!

K

Hi Everybody!

I am an Australian living and working in Germany and I thought I would share some of my experiences with coming to grips with the culture and the language of this great country, and of finding work here. I have been living here on and off for about 10 months now. My German still isn't brilliant but I can scrape by - I am lucky that the majority of my work in Köln is in English, but I appreciate any opportunity to speak Deutsch as the more I use it, the more I improve.

To learn quickly, a course at the Volkshochschule is by far and away the best option. I did a short course at a VHS in Detmold (about three hours north of Köln, in Ost Westfalen), and it only cost me around 70€ for two 1.5 hour lessons every week for about 12 weeks - Having said this, I do not know how much courses are here in Köln. I started learning earlier though by getting a book and studying at home by myself - A company called Langenscheidt produces a book called 'Deutsch in 30 Tagen' (German in 30 Days) which I found to be great to start off with. It teaches you the beginnings of the nasty grammar and verb usage in Deutsch, and you will be surprised at how quickly it helps you to pick things up. The best thing you can do is practice, even if you only know very little Deutsch - It is the best way to improve. The worst thing you can do is expect instant results - learning a new language takes time.

A good address to check out is Busuu - It is a language exchange portal which thrives by community and by sharing.

As far as work are concerned, do not be surprised if you do not find much with only English - it took me four months and around 65 written and electronic applications to find the job that I found, and even then it was by pure luck that I found the advertisement and subsequently got the job. Having said this, do not give up hope! There are jobs out there, but they are hard to find, and it takes time to find them.

Some internet addresses to check out for jobs are Monster, Top Language Jobs and English Language Jobs.

Finally, a good way to make some friends is by checking out the Couchsurfing community here in Köln - We have one of the most active Couchsurfing communities in Germany right here, and you will find that making friends is very easy if you head along to one of their weekly meetings (every Thursday night - check the Cologne page out on CS right here for more info)

I hope that this stuff helps some of you guys out!

Viel glück jedermann!

I was in an intensive course at the Dusseldorf VOLKSHOCHSCHULE in July and I loved it! The teacher was VERY good and wrote explainations and grammar constructs on the board, very helpful.

I then signed up for another course at the VHS and hate it! The teacher is so boring, and spends half the class grading everyones homework in silence. At least he could involve everyone when grading this homework. He writes nothing on the board, and explains no grammer.

So the VHS can be hit or miss. I will sign up for another course at the VHS for the Spring semester, but I will avoid this old grumpy teacher. Ping me if you want this teachers name, or the one in July that was real good!

I also think that some people on TT are very negative about finding a job. I appreciate all the advice,but making us feel horrible isn't helping anyone.

I am also looking for a job and would prefer one in English,as my German is around B2 level. I have studied political science with major in Journalism and Communication and I have a Master's degree in HR.

Any helpful advice (not such as pointing out that I am looking for a job in media in Germany without perfect knowledge of German language) would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

S.