Cool stuff worth sharing

794 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Yikes !
I've just sailed the Atlantic (again) and had two close calls with cargo ships apparently attempting to run us down.

Neither answered our radio calls - for whatever reason - and we took avoiding action (self preservation kicks in eventually).

The prospect of not being seen by a ship without crew is more than a little disconcerting...

:ph34r:

I wonder if they'll petition the authorities for a daymark / light sequence to show that there's noone on board?  

PS 

several others were happy to have a chat and change their course (early, by a few degrees) and pass by safely behind us 

I can't imagine it sailing without at least a maintenance/repair crew

On 8/12/2021, 8:30:06, emkay said:

The phenomenon called Crown Shyness where the trees incredibly avoid touching.  🌳

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_shyness

C1754F07-D6C5-47CA-A191-3314D7E2CCAC.jpe

Interestink..

I thought the mexican treescapers were to credit.  Goddamn trees are putting them out of business.

‘Hunt for lost artwork and priceless artefacts from legendary Amber Room begins as divers crack open cargo boxes on sunken Nazi warship’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9961899/Hunt-lost-artwork-artefacts-legendary-Amber-Room-begins-sunken-Nazi-warship.html

I’m always fascinated by treasure hunters.  Sadly I missed out on a potential treasure hunt dive off the coast of Singapore as I was pregnant. I wonder what really happened with the Nazi gold train hunt? 

A year or so ago I watched a programme about a Polish team who were convinced they'd found the Amber Room on a train abandoned in some sort of collapsed mine. From your article it would seem that their hunch didn't work out as hoped. I enjoy Indiana Jones films too much not to be interested in these sorts of stories, but the cynic in me can't help but think the most likely answer is that it was all destroyed by bombs in the war. Still, diving for treasure in the South China Sea sounds brilliant.  

2 hours ago, dstanners said:

A year or so ago I watched a programme about a Polish team who were convinced they'd found the Amber Room on a train abandoned in some sort of collapsed mine. From your article it would seem that their hunch didn't work out as hoped. I enjoy Indiana Jones films too much not to be interested in these sorts of stories, but the cynic in me can't help but think the most likely answer is that it was all destroyed by bombs in the war. Still, diving for treasure in the South China Sea sounds brilliant.  

I’m sure that some treasures have been found though kept out of the news.  Wasn’t there a big collection of art found a few years ago in a flat in Germany after an elderly chap died?

South China sea diving for treasure would have been amazing. Never mind, my daughter is my biggest treasure.

Have you watched the Nicholas Cage, National Treasure films? Definitely good to watch if you like Indiana Jones.

Ha, yes, @emkayI have seen those. Of course along with Indiana Jones the 80s also gave us those Kathleen Turner/Michael Douglas films Romancing the Stone and Jewel in the Nile, which had plenty of treasure hunting in too. I remember liking those two films at the time and finding them pretty funny, but I guess the fact that neither seems to get an outing on TV any more (even in Germany) would suggest that perhaps neither stood the test of time.

Whilst it isn't as selfless as skipping treasure hunting, when son 1 was born I had tickets to England v Wales at Twickenham and for son 2 I gave up a ticket for an Ashes Test at Edgbaston. So, I lost kudos for poor sporting attendance, but gained a bit in family relations...my kids would give me grief if they discovered I'd chosen to watch sport instead of their births, and my nephew is still very grateful for the tickets he ended using.   

Labor Day in America, NYC back in the day..  Btw, some of them are smoking cigarettes. Don't they know that's dangerous to their health?

2021-09-06_14-15-44.jpg

"High-speed internet via airborne beams of light"

A novel way of delivering high-speed internet via beams of light through the air has successfully transmitted data across the Congo River.

It means that citizens in Brazzaville and Kinshasa could get faster and cheaper broadband.

The wireless optical communications (WOC) system provided nearly 700 terabytes of data in 20 days with 99.9% availability, the team at X reported.

The system uses very narrow, invisible beams of light to deliver high speeds, similar to the way traditional fibre in the ground uses light to carry data but without the cable casing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-58583600

How beautiful is this corn...   not genetically modified.

Pre-colonization Glass Gem Corn, Indigenous to North America, regrown by a Cherokee farmer in Oklahoma. This particular corn is a mix of ancient Pawnee, Osage and Cherokee varieties.

2021-09-25_15-06-18.jpg

I think this is a really good idea. One of the benefits of electric vehicles should be being able to move beyond the shape/space requirements which have been the norm for petrol vehicles, so I've been surprised how much electric vehicle manufacturers have stuck with the pre-existing format (I can only assume they think consumers will only buy what they know). This idea seems to make excellent use of the freedom provided by electric vehicles. I can't help but think they missed a trick on the extended solar panels, which could have doubled up as an awning for an even larger tent though.

Students’ solar-powered camper van turns heads on 1,800-mile road trip | Electric, hybrid and low-emission cars | The Guardian

Except... it s all added weight. Bombing (not) down the motorway at 75km an hour will be dissuasive and needs addressing. But it looks like they are getting there.

15 minutes ago, optimista said:

75km an hour will be dissuasive

It was 75mph, so fast enough for the motorway. I guess whilst the weight would make it thirsty, as long as there is scope to charge it via the solar panels, that doesn't really matter.