Induction Cooktop - model recommendations

45 posts in this topic

The electric cooktop/hob/stove that was in our apartment when we moved in is breaking down (good riddance), and we're planning on buying an induction cooktop in the next few weeks. I know, I know, I would prefer gas, but there's no hookup here.  I've browsed many threads about induction vs. gas, but have not seen specific model recommendations for induction cooktops. My German isn't good enough to read reviews online, and the English-language reviews I've seen are about models available in the US or outside of Germany. If you have bought an induction cooktop in Germany, can you please help me out? In a perfect world, I would find something that's more analog than digital, although a browse around Saturn dashed my hopes on that front.

If you have an induction cooktop, what model is it?  Where did you buy it?  How long have you used it?  Do you recommend it, and why or why not?

Thank you!

Get the one from IKEA, it is good enough. AFAIK it is from Whirlpool.

It is possible to get an induction cooktop with "analogue" rotating knobs, but usually only when you buy a hoven from the same brand/model.

And I prefer induction to gas, much safer, simple to clean. Professional chefs have no problem with induction cooktops, except for electricity price.

Get the one from IKEA, it is good enough. AFAIK it is from Whirlpool.

It is possible to get an induction cooktop with "analogue" rotating knobs, but usually only when you buy a hoven from the same brand/model.

And I prefer induction to gas, much safer, simple to clean. Professional chefs have no problem with induction cooktops, except for electricity price.

How long have you had your Ikea one? I'm just wondering if they break down quickly or not. Thanks for the input!

My experience only is with ceramic cooktops and ovens, not induction.

Both IKEA and Whirlpool broke down quickly and were inefficient.

The  oven from SIemens is fast, efficient, hot, and the cooktop generates sufficient heat to do a real wok stirfry on. Just saying.

How long have you had your Ikea one? I'm just wondering if they break down quickly or not. Thanks for the input!

Had it for exactly 2 years. No problems so far.

Anyone got any more up-to-date recommendations for a good induction hob?   I have a main's gas one, which I love, but, sob, it has to go.   All my pots are good for induction, so at least that is good.

The electric oven I have is crap too.  In fact I have never liked it.   So any handy hints would be very much appreciated.  

We have a Siemens induction hob and just love it. It boils water very fast with a turbo feature and also goes low enough to do sous vide. The oven is also nice - the pull out drawer type. 

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

We have a Siemens induction hob and just love it. It boils water very fast with a turbo feature and also goes low enough to do sous vide.

How many horse powers? Sous vide? My ceramic plates don’t know these fancy words 👻.

On 18/07/2022, 17:16:16, snowingagain said:

Anyone got any more up-to-date recommendations for a good induction hob?   I have a main's gas one, which I love, but, sob, it has to go.   All my pots are good for induction, so at least that is good.

The electric oven I have is crap too.  In fact I have never liked it.   So any handy hints would be very much appreciated.  

Keep the gas one (and pay a lot for it) :(

Almost all induction system cycle the power, so they run at max power for some percentage of a second. Compared to the analogue nature of a gas hob, this sucks. Either it's boiling over or it's not boiling fast enough. But there are no fumes, so the blower is only needed for the food smells/moisture. This can anyway be avoided mostly with pan lids.

Used some induction hobs which are marginally acceptable, but mostly I find they fall into the terrible category.

Good luck in finding one!

17 hours ago, scook17 said:

Either it's boiling over or it's not boiling fast enough.

Not our experience. You can adjust the heat instantly -- just like gas.

17 hours ago, scook17 said:

Either it's boiling over or it's not boiling fast enough.

Not our experience. You can adjust the heat instantly -- just like gas.

We need to replace our electric oven and hob as they are ancient. The hob only half works. A gas hob isn’t an option. I’ve never bought an oven or hob before and just not sure what’s best. Electric or induction hob?

In my daughter’s flat, she has a new electric hob that seems infinitely more efficient than our old one. I know a few people that are unhappy with older induction types….too fast, too uncontrollable.  Maybe newer models are better?

Most of our pots and pans are suitable for induction so that’s not a problem. Any opinions as to which is best? Looks like energy efficiency is the same?

Many thanks in anticipation for any advice.

Induction is much better in every way, especially efficiency. I have a Bosch and has been working great for 5 years. Before that, the previous owner used it for 4 years. Zero issues.

13 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

I have a Bosch and has been working great for 5 years. Before that, the previous owner used it for 4 years.

On 8/19/2015, 7:30:06, MikeMelga said:

Had it for exactly 2 years. No problems so far.

Huh?

15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Induction is much better in every way, especially efficiency. I have a Bosch and has been working great for 5 years. Before that, the previous owner used it for 4 years. Zero issues.

Thanks for the advice. We were looking at Siemens/Bosch. I just noticed this on the Saturn website for both electric and induction hobs….

‘Bitte beachten Sie: Dies ist ein Einbauherdset. Sie benötigen einen Starkstromanschluss.’ Our old oven/hob is about 23 years old and was installed (moved from original owner’s previous flat) when the house was built in 2007. Is it *likely* that the power is sufficient for a new replacement? Our fuse box has separate switches for the oven and hob. 

Many thanks in advance.

Anyone know if an altbau apartment with a 25 A cooker connection would be sufficient for a modern induction oven or do they require more? We currently have a ca 15 year old Siemens ceramic hob and oven and we are thinking of upgrading it along with a renovation of the kitchen. I know I am being lazy for not googling it but if anyone knows and has experience that is so much better.