Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Military sponsor took ID card from stepchild - is this legal?

7 posts in this topic

I just separated from my husband who is DoD Civilian. He left me alone with all debts and he also took my daughters (his stepdaughter) ID-Card . My question now is, whether he can do that however he wants?

What can I do, if he doesn't react on mail from the lawyer? 

Does anybody know about these subjects? I need some help...

Thank you very very much...

Ninifie,

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation.

For help, you may want to contact the American Overseas Domestic Violence Crisis Center: http://www.866uswomen.org/ or via email at crisis@866uswomen.org. On the website there is directions for calling them. You may not be in a situation of domestic violence and I'm unsure whether you are American, but I'm sure they can provide you some support and possible resources for your situation. And if they can't help, I hope they can point you in the right direction.

Fingers crossed and thumbs pressed you can get help.

thank you FunkyCH, I am not in a situation of domestic violence, but I was in somewhat a sitution of psychological violence. But this is another story. I just thought that somebody has similar experiences... btw I am German.

Here's the thing.. You and your daughter are sponsored dependents. (Or were)

Just like Active duty dependents, your right to stay here depends on the Govt.

and your sponsors (husbands) say so/whim/etc..

Your husband can, at any time request the govt. to revoke your dependent

status and send you back home. For any reason..

You next step is to find out if he has requested just that. I'm assuming you still have

your ID card and can get on base?  Your next stop would be the base legal office

to see if your dependent status is in the process of being revoked.

If it is, you have very little rights for objecting to it. The legal office should be able

to atleast tell you what you might be able to do.  As crappy as it sounds, this is

the way it works.

Does your daughter attend school on base? If yes, then how does she get on base

without her ID card?

Doesn't really matter.. As it seems her and her daughter have DoD issued ID cards.

This sponsorship can be terminated at anytime for any reason.  Usually Germans

Do not get ID Cards (If they were brought in Locally).  Spouses brought over from

the US however usually do. Regardless of what citizenship they have.

Either way.. More Info. is needed.

If he has left her with lots of Debt. and it's his debt, not hers then she can try to get

the Dod legal office to take action.. However if she plays this out in the German

courts, Germany considers a couples debt as being both or theirs. If he skips town

creditors can legally run her thru the wringer for the entire debt amount, even though

she may not have been the one to incur the debt.  It's not uncommon for courts to go after

a debtors family members to recover money.

Bottom line OP... Time to Lawyer-up