US Netflix

94 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I can't use it with Amazon Prime because (I believe) my membership with Amazon is with Amazon DE and I don't think the Prime memberships were ever transferable between countries whereas Netflix, in the past,  was transferable.

Ah, ok.  Well that explains it. Thanks!

On 12/30/2016, 4:28:22, Doctor Who said:

I have SmartDNS from Overplay. Anyone know how to get Netflix US or UK to run with it? They always seem to detect the SartDNS.

Could be a settings issue. I can strongly recommend "The Unlocator" DNS service. It is about $45 a year (approx) and I would pay triple for it. Basically, just about everything becomes available with a subscription and some simple settings changes.

On 1/10/2017, 5:52:35, yesterday said:

Maybe this helps

https://www.bestvpn.com/netflix-vpn/

It reports on the known VPNs that work with Netflix, including comparing of their prices. All so comments on the legality of using VPNs to watch US Netflix while not in the USA.

VPNs can be sub-optimal geoblocking solutions (as opposed to DNS services) in that one encounters more cat-and-mouse contests between VPN and content providers. VPNs work to circumvent geoblocking, until they don't. I have found DNS services to be more reliable and have much better throughput, but know they do not offer anonymity.

Thanks everyone! I just used my Getflix account and US Netflix seems to work.

Unfortunately, the show that I was after right now ("Call my Agent!") is not available on either Netflix US or DE, but I got addicted to it in London this weekend, where it is available. AAAAGGHH!

I know, first world problem of the week! ;-) 

Not recommending this by any means, but if a content provider makes it too difficult or impossible to purchase their content through the usual channels, there is always BITTORRENT. 

It is illegal and can result in fines and legal problems.

(I should clarify:  Illegal when used in the manner most users use it. There are lawful methods of use, though rare.)

8 hours ago, Smaug said:

Thanks everyone! I just used my Getflix account and US Netflix seems to work.

Unfortunately, the show that I was after right now ("Call my Agent!") is not available on either Netflix US or DE, but I got addicted to it in London this weekend, where it is available. AAAAGGHH!

I know, first world problem of the week! ;-) 

Can't you change your Netflix country to UK in the Getflix settings?   Nor sure if it is working right now, but it used to be possible in the past before Netflix started their war on VPNs.

4 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Can't you change your Netflix country to UK in the Getflix settings?   Nor sure if it is working right now, but it used to be possible in the past before Netflix started their war on VPNs.

No, right now Getflix only supports US Netflix. Life was easier before Netflix declared war on VPNs and you could just use a VPN to connect through any country.

I expect that by the end of the year Netflix, along all other media content providers, will no longer be able to discriminate within the EU by means of geoblocking, at least if things go according to the plans of the European Commission:

The Council today adopted a regulation to ban unjustified geo-blocking in the internal market.  

[...]    

The regulation, which will be published in the EU's official journal before the end of March 2018, will take effect nine months after its publication.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2018/02/27/geo-blocking-council-adopts-regulation-to-remove-barriers-to-e-commerce/

So that'll be the end of some programming being available in the UK, but not in Germany.

The above article, says

"Services where the main feature is the provision of access to and use of copyright protected content, or the selling of copyright protected works in an intangible form, such as music streaming services, e-books, online games and software, are excluded from the scope of the regulation. But this will be subject to a review by the Commission."

Which means things will not get any easier for accessing content, outside your country zone.

Although I have read in other articles that the EU have changed "the holiday regulations", in that if you live in the UK and go on holiday to Spain, you will be allowed to access the iplayer ( in spain ) until you come back to the UK, but this is not the case for people living permanently aboard, how they are going to enforce is, is any bodies guess.

And of course, the UK will leave EU regulations sooner or later .... 

8 minutes ago, yesterday said:

Although I have read in other articles that the EU have changed "the holiday regulations", in that if you live in the UK and go on holiday to Spain, you will be allowed to access the iplayer ( in spain ) until you come back to the UK, but this is not the case for people living permanently aboard, how they are going to enforce is, is any bodies guess.

Probably by having to register an account using a UK-issued credit card.

35 minutes ago, yesterday said:

And of course, the UK will leave EU regulations sooner or later ... 

But Ireland doesn't.

3 hours ago, Smaug said:

I expect that by the end of the year Netflix, along all other media content providers, will no longer be able to discriminate within the EU by means of geoblocking, at least if things go according to the plans of the European Commission:

I hope this happens. I hate the idea of Geoblocking where artificial barriers are put up by corporations. It's this kind of bullshit that leads to torrenting and illegal activities. If there's a demand for something that exists, people will find a way to get it.

1 hour ago, Jonny said:

I hope this happens. I hate the idea of Geoblocking where artificial barriers are put up by corporations. It's this kind of bullshit that leads to torrenting and illegal activities. If there's a demand for something that exists, people will find a way to get it.

It is a complicated issue.   If there is no geoblocking then the licence prices would have universal prices and that would be unfair with poor countries.   For example, Netflix charges a bit less in developing countries and they pay less for licensing in those countries.  So without geoblocking we could all just subscribe in one cheap country and watch in another one.  Which actually you can do if you circumvent the system but that's not the point.

And then Amazon is disrupting everything at the moment.  They are expanding heavily at the moment, just like Netflix did a couple of years ago, Amazon has very competitive prices in poorer countries.    India been the extreme example, Amazon Prime costs 499 Rs a year in India, which is a bit over 6 EUR.   That is the introduction price and they say later on will be increased to 899 Rs which is a bit over 11 EUR.  A year.   Netflix charges 650 Rs a month in India.   And the more strange thing is that Amazon India let you charge to other countries catalogs.   No VPN, nothing needed, you are allowed to watch the US catalog, which in USA costs $99 a year (or 6500 Rs).    I didn't yet figure out how Amazon is being able to offer that in India, because they would have to re-license the whole US catalog for India with lower prices of they are losing a lot of money just to enter the Indian market.

25 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I use my Prime USA mainly for free 2 day shipping. The videos, music, etc. are just a bonus.

That works for shipping outside the US too?

Nope. I just like buying stuff for my family and peeps over there. It more than pays for itself.

i.e. I did a lot of my sister in law's Xmas shopping for her last Xmas. She used to drive around all over the place buying gifts for her extended family and friends. Now she has learned how to use it.

We use Amazon.de over here but Himself won't sign up for Prime. Most of our orders have free shipping, though.

I need help. I am trying to install Now TV.  I have a Smart DNS and cannot get it on my TV. Contacted my DNS company and

the said they support Now TV but I must change my Smart TV to the UK setting.  I have followed all instructions at least

200 times trying to change my TV to the UK.  When you go to change it at the end you must put a special code in.

The first of this code is the mute key and next the return key and that is where everything goes wrong. I am not able

to hit the volume key or channel up and then the mute key.  So, I cannot get to the screen showing countries. The

return key sends me to the source.

10 minutes ago, California Friend said:

I need help. I am trying to install Now TV.  I have a Smart DNS and cannot get it on my TV. Contacted my DNS company and

the said they support Now TV but I must change my Smart TV to the UK setting.  I have followed all instructions at least

200 times trying to change my TV to the UK.  When you go to change it at the end you must put a special code in.

The first of this code is the mute key and next the return key and that is where everything goes wrong. I am not able

to hit the volume key or channel up and then the mute key.  So, I cannot get to the screen showing countries. The

return key sends me to the source.

I have a Samsung TV and I changed to UK with no problems, pretty straight forward.   Are you sure you are using the correct sequence for the correct TV model?  Which TV is exactly?

I have a series F.  I go thru every step.  My internet is connected.  Only when I get to the page that says Terms

and Conditions - that is where the problem is.  The first five steps work perfectly.  When I get on that page and

I have keyed in the mute and next key in the return key (which is the second step to get to country code) that is when it sends me back to source.

I hope that I am making myself understandable.

California Friend