US Netflix

52 posts in this topic

I recently got a net-connected Blu-Ray device that has an app for Netflix, and I was wondering if anyone is successfully accessing US Netflix, and if so, could you please share how you're doing it? I'm not in the least interested in German Netflix or any of the other German digital video services, but I would gladly pay for the US version of Netflix.

I considered getting a small extra router and connecting that with Netflix through a VPN. But then I've been hearing about Smart DNS services that don't need any additional hardware. And does your credit card need to be US-based?

Cheers
Bill

You can use smart DNS without needing a US credit card. If you had a US credit card you'd probably be in the USA and not need smart DNS. The smart DNS can be set up at the router or directly within the blu-ray device - There is another friend somewhere discussing this for 80 pages...

Unotelly works great but yes you need the us credit card. With Unotelly you get Netflix for all countries it runs in.

You can get German Netflix and then with Unotelly (SmartDNS) switch to the USA, Canada or UK catalogue.

But nowadays the German catalogue is not that bad for English language stuff, you will be surprised.

Thanks for the replies. Programdirector, I take that to mean you're personally accessing it with Unotelly and a US cc? How is the connection? Any slowdowns or buffering?

Unotelly works great but yes you need the us credit card. With Unotelly you get Netflix for all countries it runs in.

I have used unotelly with a german CC, why do you think that a US card is required?

I have an American account (originally set up in the USA and paid via an USA CC) I access here in Germany without VPN.  Some things are blocked or "missing" from my list that I had access to in the states but I've yet to find a reason to work around the block.  I do however, get the German shows on Netflix with no issue, so you might be doing a lot of work for not a lot of reason.

The US Netflix also gets movies about 6 months behind the releases in other countries, so if you're looking for newer movies, you might want to consider this.

I recently tried the trial version of the de netflix, and it does have a decent amount of english content, although in no way comparable to the us/uk versions. 

I joined it specifically for sense8 (great show) and while i had lukewarm interest in it to begin with, by the 3rd and 4th episode i was hooked.

As for us version, is your bluray player configurable for ip adresses and such? If not, to get more configuration options you may need to use your computer for more sophisticated options, then connect the computer via hdmi to the tv. 

In my research I've found a few suggestions that Netflix is using the credit card as a means of discriminating against non-US customers. But I've put the same message out on our private employee's forum and several of my colleagues don't seem to have any problem. Thanks again to all for the feedback.

In germany there are netflix giftcards available from supermarkets which bypass the need for a cc. However, i suspect they recognize the gift cards as DE-issued, much like itunes cards.

We use the US Netflix with a VPN and it works perfectly. I think we use Private Internet Access, it's like $7 a month and unlimited usage, we use it on several devices and only get charged the 7 bucks. We pay the American subscription for Netflix with our German credit card, but we also seem to have access to the German Netflix with no additional charges when we turn the VPN off. Believe it or not, SOME shows are only on the DE Netflix! Hope this helps, works great for us. Can't speak about the giftcards. 

Edit: We have also used the US Netflix with our CZ card, and then switched it to DE. No problems either way. 

I have used unotelly with a german CC, why do you think that a US card is required?

netflix usually needs a American Credit card not Unotelly.

Thanks for the replies. Programdirector, I take that to mean you're personally accessing it with Unotelly and a US cc? How is the connection? Any slowdowns or buffering?

I have netflix and Hulu love them both. I personally like unotelly since the few times Hulu and netflix tried to block out of country accounts they have a quick fix around it. Plus like I said unotelly has a free option that allows you to change what country of netflix you watch so it gives you a far larger amount of shows. Never had a buffering problem.

I watch Netflix and other US-based TV on my computer. Not sure how it is if you only use a TV. I use the MediaHint add-on for Firefox or Chrome. It costs about $40 per year. Not really sure how it works but I can almost always watch US-based programs from Netflix, Hulu, broadcast network websites, NCAA sports streaming, YouTube videos that are blocked in Germany. I don't know if it would work with your Blu-Ray device.

My Netflix subscription is from the US, billed on a US credit card. If I turn on MediaHint I can watch the US Netflix; without MediaHint, the German Netflix. Like HezkyCesky said, it is interesting that there are some programs that I can only watch via the German Netflix. I think mostly British content. 

The main problem I have run into with Hulu and the network websites is for some (usually newer) content, they require you to have a log-in for a US cable company (U-verse, Comcast, etc). But that would also be a roadblock in the US. If you know someone in the US who has one of the cable services, maybe you could use their log-in.

I have found some content on AmazonPrime.de that I can't get on Netflix or Hulu. If you have Amazon Prime for shipping, don't forget you can also watch the streaming service. Most content on Amazon has the original English version or at least subtitles.

About the confusion with CC and countries: You can get Netflix from ANY country and then switch catalogues to another country with Unotelly. So, if Netflix USA is rejecting your DE CC then get German Netflix with your German CC and check if the English offer is enough, if you think it is not then use Unotelly to change your Netflix DE into Netflix USA.

In my own experience Netflix did not make any fuss with the CC, I have Netflix from a South American country paid with a German card.

If you get Unotelly you get as well access to a lot of geo-blocked material, the most important one in our case is BBC iPlayer, which now includes the catch up service (on demand) and the live streams since a couple of months ago. We've got Unotelly for Netflix USA and at the end we are using it more for BBC.

Yeah, to add to what Krieg said (i'm addressing the quote below) - even if you got your netflix in the US, with your US credit card, it doesn't matter.  Once you log in, on German soil, you are on German netflix.  If you log in on Canadian soil, you get Canadian netflix offerings, etc.   A netflix account is a netflix account, your content ONLY depends on where you are logging in from.

I use StrongVPN, which allows me to switch between British, American and Canadian vpns.  That means, i can watch German netflix when i leave it off, or any of the other three netflix if i turn it on.  I highly recommend it, but have not used it on our Smart TV yet because I'm lazy - theres a way to do so by turning on the vpn on a nearby computer, and then setting that computer up as a wireless hotspot for the Smart TV.   The easier option would be to get a router with VPN built into it so that devices that have netflix on them (i.e. Nintendo Wii, Smart TVs, etc) can directly access it - StrongVPN sells some. 

I have an American account (originally set up in the USA and paid via an USA CC) I access here in Germany without VPN.  Some things are blocked or "missing" from my list that I had access to in the states but I've yet to find a reason to work around the block.  I do however, get the German shows on Netflix with no issue, so you might be doing a lot of work for not a lot of reason.

The US Netflix also gets movies about 6 months behind the releases in other countries, so if you're looking for newer movies, you might want to consider this.

I've been using the US Netflix for two years now without issues.

Winning combo: American Express card  Paypal account (both German-issued/bound), Netflix account (7.99 USD/month), SmartDNS service from Overplay (4.95 USD/month).

- sign up with Overplay (I think they even have a trial account) and set your Netflix region to US

- set up SmartDNS on your router or on the playback device, such as the BR player, in your case - piece of cake

--> login to the Overplay website using your account from some device in the same network (so that they confirm your current IP address) 

--> configure the DNS servers either on the router (steps may vary from one manufacturer to another) or on your device

- access netflix.com (ideally from a computer, to make signup easier. If your welcome page is in English and states $7.99 / month, then you're on the US website

- sign up using a credit card of your choice, I used my Paypal account to add another layer of obfuscation (no practical benefit, "just because")

If your IP address changes (i.e. your DHCP lease from the ISP expires), then you need to log in again from a computer/tablet to the Overplay website to "inform" them of your new IP address. Needless to say, you must not use a proxy when doing so - or they would get some different IP address and the service wouldn't work.

In my research I've found a few suggestions that Netflix is using the credit card as a means of discriminating against non-US customers. But I've put the same message out on our private employee's forum and several of my colleagues don't seem to have any problem. Thanks again to all for the feedback.

I don't have a problem with using a German CC with either Hulu or Netflix, they only ask for you zip and mine 81379 seems to work

I heard a work around for Canadians as they have Postal Codes so the readers in the US can use them so they substitute the letters for numbers, doesn't really affect me so I never looked into it that close