Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is there a recent change to Local Hires requirements for status US Citizens?

2 posts in this topic

Hello, TT,

I have been living in Germany since 2012 with my german husband. I was a GS employee for six years and have veteran preference. I was applying for jobs in Germany last night and notice all the announcements no longer ask how long you have resided in Germany or if you have a visa.  My candidate status is reinstatement, VEOA and VRA. Has something changed in the past two years in regards to local hire of US citizens with status?

I just spoke with the SOFA agent at the passport office in Stuttgart. He said I must be employed by US Government or married to a service member to receive SOFA status. He could not clarify on prior requirement of not residing in Germany for more than 12 months or holding a German Visa. If I acquire a DOD job, I will qualify for SOFA status. Where I lived and where I hold a Visa is not affecting getting SOFA status when offered a DOD position or barring me from applying for DOD jobs. This is new to me; prior to this year all DOD jobs barred ordinary US citizens from applying to open announcements if they were in Germany for more than 12 months or held a German Visa.