Things to ponder

1,820 posts in this topic

If I love pistachios so much.. does that make me a nutty Italian moor?

nut thing to be proud of...

8 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

monkey.jpg.ea948c591021011d25f4fe7b7a4cb

If a human had cross DNA ( aka manimal) would scientists try to capture and study it,  or sell it to National Geographic for money?

New research suggests that the internet is not responsible for making people become more aggressive when engaging in political discussions online, but rather makes the behaviour of more aggressive people more visible.

The study found that those who are hostile in political discussions on the internet report to be just as hostile in political discussions face-to-face. These individuals have dispositions that make them crave recognition and status and motivate dominant and aggressive behaviour both online and offline to not lose a discussion.

The research follows studies with over 8,000 Americans and Danes who were surveyed about their experiences and behaviour in political discussions that occurred either online or offline. Despite the differences in political institutions and levels of political polarisation, status seekers in both countries were the primary culprits behind political hostility, both online and offline, the researchers said.

The research also documented that people in both Denmark and the US do in fact feel that online political discussions are worse than offline discussions, but points to an alternative explanation for this phenomenon.

“Our research shows that the reason many people feel that online political discussions are so hostile has to do with the visibility of aggressive behaviour online. Online discussions occur in large public networks and the behaviour of an internet troll is much more visible than the behaviour of this same person in an offline setting,” said Michael Bang Petersen, professor of political science at the university.

In both online and offline settings, few people surveyed feel that they personally are being attacked or harassed. Yet in an online setting, there is a marked tendency for people to observe others being attacked and harassed, according to the research team.

The researchers observed the internet is not responsible for making people aggressive – they utilise the features of the internet for their own purposes. They also suggest that online hostility is not an accident, but rather a deliberate strategy.

Direct link to the study

On 8/29/2021, 6:42:05, hooperski said:

pretty clear to me, but remains to be seen.

13 hours ago, Techsmex said:

Hmmm,  time to balance the scales?

161844813_10159626083555931_7361728356530460600_n.jpg

If both sports bring in roughly the same amount of cash then they definitely should be paid a similar amount. I'm not sure that is the case. If the women's sport brings in less then I don't think the pay will ever be similar.

I guess a further question would be why the salaries are so high in the first place (for both compared to normal working people). 

On this I am totally biased though as for me, basketball is just people throwing a ball in to a hoop as quick as possible for a given amount of time. It's like F1 to me, and that is just people driving round and round for a few hours.

I'm not questioning the skill needed, all involved are super fit sports people, I just don't get why the cash involved is so high.

Not Reaching pouches-

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety has partnered with Valerie Castile, the mother of man killed by police during a traffic stop, to help reduce violent encounters with law enforcement by making it easier for drivers to store their information and for officers to see when motorists are reaching for documents.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety purchased about 2,000 "Not Reaching" pouches and have partnered with a number of law enforcement agencies in the state to distribute them to motorists.

the rest

"We must stop searching for happiness in experiences outside ourselves. There are, in my opinion, four pillars: loving kindness, compassion, non-attachment and karma, that can be easily embraced by any one at any point in their lives, from anywhere."

According to Rinpoche, loving kindness "is the key to generating happiness not just on a personal level, but for others as well." He stressed the importance of being kind to yourself first and how this leads to compassion to others. "You must love yourself and truly know, that no matter the circumstance, you are good enough. From there, you can spread that [compassion] to others."

More:

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20210920-the-key-to-bhutans-happiness

Reaching out to outed homosexuals here. So is the fact that you are gay, your news to spread alone? Would you be offended if your mother told other people? I just do not know what the protocol is here. Should I tell my parents my outed daughter is gay? Or let her do it in her own time? (She has next to no contact with them, unfortunately.)

7 minutes ago, optimista said:

Reaching out to outed homosexuals here. So is the fact that you are gay, your news to spread alone? Would you be offended if your mother told other people? I just do not know what the protocol is here. Should I tell my parents my outed daughter is gay? Or let her do it in her own time? (She has next to no contact with them, unfortunately.)

I'm not gay, but it's easy: I never share anything told in confidence unless that person gave me the OK to tell someone specific or everyone.

She's out. She's not hiding it. So it is not exactly "in confidence". On the other hand, talking to her about it is impossible.

3 minutes ago, optimista said:

She's out. She's not hiding it. So it is not exactly "in confidence". On the other hand, talking to her about it is impossible.

OK; so I understood correctly.

But if talking about it to her is impossible, I wouldn't tell her grandparents.

As you said: Let her do it in her own time.

Just my 2 cents.