Things to ponder

1,800 posts in this topic

I like Brent Terhune (also on youtube).  He looks and talks like a right-winger but he's pointing out how ridiculous they are (via satire).  He is my people.

It is similarly a weird flex to say, "When I was younger, we made fun of gays and foreigners, objectified women, and told racist and antisemitic jokes all the time and no one cared." Of course, this really means you made fun of gays and foreigners, objectified women, and told racist jokes all the time and those poor people you victimized had no recourse that wouldn't involve dire consequences for them. It is a weird flex to say that you used to be able to be a shitty human being and other people had to take it because you had more power and didn't have to be a decent human being to women, minorities,  and foreigners.

How about you learn to live with the new social norms and stfu?

202040192_1530308030649743_3697384989391109256_n.jpg

16 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I also don't understand why teaching true history is now being called a "theory".

If it's a theory, it's unproven, and therefore worthy of doubt by citizen scientists and citizen historians (aka ignorant racists).

It's the Doublespeak that Orwell warned us about.

Castoreum, a glandular secretion of beavers, is used as a food additive and may be part of your vanilla or raspberry flavoring in sweet foods and cakes.

I wonder why the mods censored (closed) the thread that was turning into a discussion about the gypsies? The video John put up was very humbling. The problem - and there is a problem - is complex and sorely needs addressing. But as soon as you raise issues of tribal differences - and there are tribal differences - there are screams of racism and measures are taken to shut you up. Oppression was never a good option.

the discussion was supposed to be about problematic neighbors and useless property management and was already devolving into another bitchfest about the Romani.  This is not anyone's first time around the block.  We know how those threads end up.  100% of the time.  No crystal ball needed.

Maybe your idea of a good time is closely monitoring the razor-thin line between discussion and outright bigotry on these threads, but it's not mine.

Also, having seen what you've written about other groups, I'm not at all surprised that you think it's a shame we don't get to sit around and bash the "Gypsies."  The thread was already only about that, and no longer about the original issue at hand.  That's a nope from the mod squad.

tl; dr: ALL such threads get closed eventually for dwindling down to nothing more than vicious fighting between a handful of members and no longer being useful for anything or to anyone and being just an embarrassing bad look for the site. Even the specific topic of Romani is not new, it has been done to death on this site multiple times already. 

1 hour ago, optimista said:

I wonder why the mods censored (closed) the thread that was turning into a discussion about the gypsies? The video John put up was very humbling. The problem - and there is a problem - is complex and sorely needs addressing. But as soon as you raise issues of tribal differences - and there are tribal differences - there are screams of racism and measures are taken to shut you up. Oppression was never a good option.

If you want to talk about tribal differences, bash Russians or Americans.   Apparently, ridiculing heroin addiction in the Scots is okay too.      If you get angry, you can wish Lymphoma on your debating opponents and their families or provide an impolite assessment of their intelligence with multiple f-bombs.  

I think you are being very unfair to suggest that the site does not offer abundant opportunities for tribal warfare.   😇

Fair enough. Thank you for explaining. Point taken. Specially about the usual decline into a bitchfest. I am not a one-sided gypsy basher by the way (I hear howls of dissent  as this sounds defensive. That argument that came up recently that as soon as you say you are not, you are). I have in the past attempted to talk to gypsies surrounded by their own shit (literally). To no avail. And I can see their predicament. I would have appreciated a discussion but you are right, it is just not possible on TT these days.

Next bitchfest - lovely word - evolving on the low flights thread. Goin' down low.

1 minute ago, balticus said:

...tribal differences, bash...

Note the juxtaposition of those two words. As soon as you raise the issue, you are bashin' em.

And so are effectively muzzled. It's a manipulative argument.

I'm out. Must go and do something useful.

Not "as soon as."

But inevitably, soon thereafter.  Whether from the original issue-raiser or from another.

Here is just not the place.  For better or for worse.

On 7/9/2021, 12:25:01, optimista said:

Personally I think UK will soon be wholly run by our Asian friends whose grandparents came over from the former colonies. Many top positions seem already to be occupied by non-Anglo-Saxon-sounding names. Just sayin'.

The chance to get a good debate going depends on the motivation of the person who wants to talk with you about the topic.

You never answered my question to this comment, "just saying" is basically saying you have an opinion in mind but you do not want say it or you want to wait and see what other people say.

Just say what you want to say, if it's offensive maybe the mods will take it down, maybe not. 

A lot of issues on TT are never going to have constructive debates as they are divisive by their nature. They eventually attract members who want to stir the pot, have grudges against other members or just like to poke things towards an argument.    

TT is a form of social media, some people act here in ways and say things they never would in real life. Maybe that's why they do it, maybe they do say and act that way in real life and TT is the only contact they have (given how some members talk to others I could well believe that).

These are usual social media issues, anyone can create an account that is not linked to them in any way. Freedom from consequences brings out the inner asshat in some people, it allows them to do online what they are scared to do in real life.

39 minutes ago, optimista said:

Note the juxtaposition of those two words. As soon as you raise the issue, you are bashin' em.

And so are effectively muzzled. It's a manipulative argument.

My point was that expressions of overtly venomous hatred have been and are a feature of this site.   It would be difficult to imagine that they are not tolerated given the volume and frequency.     

Nuanced discussions of complex, difficult problems always end up with the same people who are unable to make clear, concise, convincing arguments defaulting to moral indignation, climaxing in name calling.   

I agree entirely with your last line:

it allows them to do online what they are scared to do in real life.