Things to ponder

1,892 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, optimista said:

My daughter and I have Barbour (where is that trademark thingy?) wax jackets... they need re-waxing... so I buy a tin of Barbour Thornproof Wax Dressing. Original formula. I look for the contents of the tin... in vain... trade secret. Obviously.

Now somewhere on Toytown I label myself as Vaseline Woman. Goes on my elbows, lips, hair, eye lashes, eye brows (sparingly, I hasten to add) shoes, boots, flugelhorn valve slides, alphorn joints, you name it... I think I recognise Vaseline when I see it.

The stuff in that tin I bought for 20 Euros to slap on my jacket is, I am sure, just... Vaseline. :angry:

Anyone care to correct me? I would almost be glad...

Barbour wax is the same as Greenland wax (more or less):

Making Greenland wax for waterproofing outdoor gear is very easy and inexpensive. The materials needed are parafin and beeswax. I have used parafin meant for making candles from a craft store which has a melting point of about 60 degrees. Beeswax can be found from some craft stores, but it is cheaper to ask for it from a beekeeper. Both parafin and beeswax are usually sold in 0,5 - 1 kg pieces. From 1 kg you can make 20 pieces of Greenland wax, which is enough for all your friends as well.

The process is very simple: melt parafin (about 90%) and beeswax (about 10%) in a container which is placed in a hot water bath. I have used a pot of water on the stove for this, in which the water was first boiled and an empty cream cheese container was used as a form (as seen in the picture below). After melting let the mixture cool down. Afterwards the wax is ready for use.

In experimentations I haven't noticed any difference between the factory wax and the self-made wax.

https://www.shelbyoutdoor.com/?cPath=405_434_515&language=en#:~:text=Both%20parafin%20and%20beeswax%20are,in%20a%20hot%20water%20bath.

Well thank you for that. And wot an utter rip-off the stuff in the tin is... to Vaseline Woman.

I am now wondering if the Americans call petroleum jelly (trademark Vaseline) parafin?? Parafin to a Brit is a stinky, highly inflammable liquid, also a by-product of petroleum. Not wot is in that picture in the link... which looks like lumpy Vaseline. Anyway, I think we have got to the bottom of it, and I will not be buying any more tins of "dressing".

10 minutes ago, optimista said:

Well thank you for that. And wot an utter rip-off the stuff in the tin is... to Vaseline Woman.

I am now wondering if the Americans call petroleum jelly (trademark Vaseline) parafin?? Parafin to a Brit is a stinky, highly inflammable liquid, also a by-product of petroleum. Not wot is in that picture in the link... which looks like lumpy Vaseline. Anyway, I think we have got to the bottom of it, and I will not be buying any more tins of "dressing".

Paraffin is kerosene https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

Paraffin wax is the stuff you are looking for :) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraffin_wax

Fascinating. Really. Would like to know the difference between paraffin wax and petroleum jelly.

A ditty for Vaseline Woman :

There was a young couple named Kelly               
Who were forced to live belly to belly, 
Because one cold, dark night,
They used Araldite*,
Instead of petroleum jelly.

*Araldite is trade mark for a very strong epoxy based glue 

3 hours ago, optimista said:

Fascinating. Really.

Yes, absolutely. I have never felt the need to re-coat Paps' Barbour, but now I kind of want to do the melty mix and have a go....

I didn't want to go there HH... Chance is a fine thing ex post covid. :P

On 8/31/2020, 1:08:52, HH_Sailor said:

A ditty for Vaseline Woman :

There was a young couple named Kelly               
Who were forced to live belly to belly, 
Because one cold, dark night,
They used Araldite*,

*Araldite is trade mark for a very strong epoxy based glue 

Alternate version:
A newlywed couple named Kelly

Was found sticking belly to belly.

It turned out, in their haste

They used library paste,

Were the Kellys bookbinders by profession?
Did they have a cottage industry, with library paste in the home?
Had they never heard of foreplay?

How did Trump self-fund his own campaign if he had no money? Who gave him the money?

On 7/15/2020, 3:30:07, AlexTr said:

bored.jpg

That's why I love german politics: soooo boring!

21 minutes ago, dom said:

That's why I love german politics: soooo boring!

There was a bit of excitement during the thirties and forties though

The optimist invented the airplane.  The pessimist invented the parachute.