Things to ponder

2,000 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Was there a video ? You are getting into the boggy mire of interpretation...

The 'victim' has chosen to kick up a stink. Why ? She could have let it ride. This is an attack on the highest institution... on the basis of what, exactly ? Screaming racism doesn t cut it. False flag job if you ask me. If the palace were racist Ngozi would not have been at the party. Exclusion. Discrimination. They are indicative of racism. Enquiring about ethnicity in a diverse society... it s a bit of a lame excuse for a fight.

So, broken record, what is this really about ?

When she fails to get another palace invitation I guess N will hold that up as proof she was right ...:blink:

What are you talking about?  I was talking about my granddaughter. 

On 02/12/2022, 07:28:35, bramble said:

Whatever - my 6 year old granddaughter is half Philippine with a slight tannish skin colour. Very pretty little girl. Anyway, she was staying overnight last weekend and we watched a cartoon about the Frog Prince. The princess was pretty with long straight black hair and big dark eyes. And I remarked that she looked almost as pretty as her. But my granddaughter disagreed adamantly. She wasn't brown like the princess. It was only then that I realised that the princess was indeed very slightly brown (more beige). I left it there, as I was left wondering where on earth that came from. From Kindergarten? There are white, brown and black kids there. Do they compare skin colour with each other? Kids at that age don't hold back. They comment freely. And not always kindly. 

Ah, bless your granddaughter. My daughter is also Eurasian (German, Chinese/Malaysian). When she was in primary school in the UK, kids only noticed how petite she is rather than any colour and facial features difference. Now she’s 21 and we’re in Germany, she does get irritated that so many people immediately comment on how small she is and how young she looks. She recently politely responded to a middle aged woman ‘oh no, I never realised. Thank you for telling me!’ Her personality has grown to that of a giant!  

When we visited an Hausarzt here, he immediately blurted out ‘obviously she’s adopted’. My daughter politely replied that she isn’t adopted and I’m definitely her mother.

The whole race row thing in the UK accusing an elderly lady of racism is just a storm in a teacup. People are naturally interested in others. Just some can be rude and condescending to anyone.  It’s no different to any of us non native German speakers being asked where we come from. Surely that’s not offensive?  I’ll never lose my British accent nor master German grammar. Quite a few Germans have said that they love to hear my accent though hate the accent of others. 

4 hours ago, emkay said:

Ah, bless your granddaughter. My daughter is also Eurasian (German, Chinese/Malaysian). When she was in primary school in the UK, kids only noticed how petite she is rather than any colour and facial features difference. Now she’s 21 and we’re in Germany, she does get irritated that so many people immediately comment on how small she is and how young she looks. She recently politely responded to a middle aged woman ‘oh no, I never realised. Thank you for telling me!’ Her personality has grown to that of a giant!  

When we visited an Hausarzt here, he immediately blurted out ‘obviously she’s adopted’. My daughter politely replied that she isn’t adopted and I’m definitely her mother.

The whole race row thing in the UK accusing an elderly lady of racism is just a storm in a teacup. People are naturally interested in others. Just some can be rude and condescending to anyone.  It’s no different to any of us non native German speakers being asked where we come from. Surely that’s not offensive?  I’ll never lose my British accent nor master German grammar. Quite a few Germans have said that they love to hear my accent though hate the accent of others. 

Hi Emkay! As you know, I'm in the insurance business and German insurance companies have their BMI rules for health insurance etc.

Invariably, when it comes to eg Asian clients ( especially women ), they write back with an extra questionnaire for being " underweight " and " small."

And they have to go the doc to " justify " that.

I usually reply " kein Trampeltier" but this falls upon deaf ears!😂😩🙁

( By the way, my first wife was the size of an ant and my dad was a dwarf.. so I hear you!!).

14 hours ago, emkay said:

My daughter politely replied that she isn’t adopted and I’m definitely her mother.

:D priceless ! 

But you have to forgive the poor man... he is only human. Men, dogs and old people just have to be excused, IME.

Temperatures in Elk Park, Montana, dropped to -50F (-45C), while the town of Hell, Michigan, has frozen over.

We're all doomed, doomed I tell you.

Why do men's pyjama trousers have pockets?  Not as if you need to carry your keys or wallet in them.

4 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Why do men's pyjama trousers have pockets?  Not as if you need to carry your keys or wallet in them.

#tissues

6 minutes ago, hooperski said:

That's what the sleeves are for on the jacket.

Bless your innocent mind.

Well at least I was home at xmas and not in the klink. Grateful for small mercies.