Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is it quicker to get tax ID direct from Finanzamt?

5 posts in this topic

HI

I'm waiting for my tax number to come by post after my Anmeldung but payday is getting closer and i'm worried I won't get number in time.

Does anyone know if it's possible or quicker to go to the FInanzamt (Deroystrasse) to get my number directly?

Thanks TTers :)

Laura

Most likely not. They will just tell you to wait and to not bother them.. As for as Pay day. You don't need a tax number

for this. You can still be paid and give the number retroactively, so don't worry..

You are waiting for your Steuer-ID (= Steueridentifikationsnummer), those are not allocated by your local Finanzamt but by one institution for the whole of Germany, the Bundeszentralamt für Steuern.

The Steuer-ID is sent by letter to the address that you're officially registered at about 4 weeks after you registered in Germany for the first time.

So visiting the Finanzamt at Deroystr. would be waste of time, they won't know it.

If you want to have that letter re-sent to your official address, please follow the instructions in my post of 27. November 2012 in here to fill in this form.

If you don't get it in time for your first payday you will be taxed according to the emergency tax class 6. The payroll department can - as soon as you will have your Steuer-ID - arrange to reimburse you the overpaid tax with next month's salary.

Worst case (if they won't) you can do a tax return and get back that overpaid tax, instructions in the yellow section of the TT Elster wiki.

I’m going to need my steueridnummer in a few days but after registering, ten years ago, I never received one. On the tax website it has a form that I filled but that will take up to four weeks (efficiency?). Our tax advisor told me to go to the finanzamt, where the nice lady looked at my driver’s license, confirmed my address and printed me a letter with the I’d number on it. (efficiency).

I thought I’d add this to this old thread in case.