Germany is efficient? I beg to differ

66 posts in this topic

Germany works well but it's overenginered. Sometimes things work better than in other countries, sometimes worse.

One example against your theory that comes to mind is how long it takes the Germans to give you a passport or ID. If memory serves, mine took longer than a month. In Span (I am a Spanish national as well) I make an appointment online, turn up at the police station and get the document printed right there and then. The officers have a printer on their desk than produce the documents.

Germany works well but it's overenginered. Sometimes things work better than in other countries, sometimes worse.

One example against your theory that comes to mind is how long it takes the Germans to give you a passport or ID. If memory serves, mine took longer than a month. In Span (I am a Spanish national as well) I make an appointment online, turn up at the police station and get the document printed right there and then. The officers have a printer on their desk than produce the documents.

So you're saying that Spain is more efficient? I don't understand how that works against my argument? 

A countries efficiency is hardly to be measured by the time it takes to  get a blood test done or a passport delivered. And refusing to hand out a credit card to someone(from abroad) could well fall under the category efficiency. Statistically hiigh risk of default- no card- more efficiency.

Efficiency is always measured in a specific field, and only the results combined could give a more or less correct answer or information. Given that Germany is at a top rank when it comes to foreign  investment you can assume that industrial processes , state bureaucracy, reliability of the legal system  and  work force together form a favourable mixture for someone with the intention to see his money grow in a stable, fairly predictable , effcient environment.

Oh... And I also walked in to a department store, and within half an hour, I had a VISA with a $2k credit line, also printed right then and there. It took me three years to get a credit card in Germany -.- 

Don't mistake efficiency for not doing the job.  Easy handing of credit cards without proper checks can result in bank collapse or even the collapse of the whole financial system. German banks are slow but it's safe to keep money there. The most reliable bank on earth is German KfW. See:

https://www.gfmag.com/magazine/november-2014/top-50-safest-global-banks-2014?page=3

The street light in front of our house went broke the other day. So I typed in the exact number shown on the screen for our street. Within 2 days it was fixed. I might use that service far more often than the service for a birth certificate.

So you're saying that Spain is more efficient? I don't understand how that works against my argument? 

You are right! I got the wrong end of the stick :-(

Germany efficient? How can a beaurocratic system be efficient?  A company which can produce the most with the least effort is effient as they cut out most of the time losing work.

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. If you have to cut out only one link of the chain to make it strong again, no problem. But if most of the links in your chain are weak, you better get a new chain. Germany only sticks out as efficient because they are a bunch of slaves who do as told, not much of efficiency there.

You are right! I got the wrong end of the stick :-(

No worries :)

Don't mistake efficiency for not doing the job.  Easy handing of credit cards without proper checks can result in bank collapse or even the collapse of the whole financial system. German banks are slow but it's safe to keep money there. The most reliable bank on earth is German KfW. See:

https://www.gfmag.com/magazine/november-2014/top-50-safest-global-banks-2014?page=3

This is simply just not true. I was checked against a credit rating system (similar to the Schufa) and seeing that I had no outstanding debt, the system spit out a limit. No human intervention. This is exactly the same thing that happens in DE, except it takes them 2-3 weeks just to tell you yes or no. This was instantenous. And they also printed the card there - why does everything in Germany take 2-3 weeks and have to be sent over the freaking mail?!

Within the Americas, Chile has a great credit rating (even much better than most Southern European countries, but that's also not saying much). 

A countries efficiency is hardly to be measured by the time it takes to  get a blood test done or a passport delivered. And refusing to hand out a credit card to someone(from abroad) could well fall under the category efficiency. Statistically hiigh risk of default- no card- more efficiency.

Efficiency is always measured in a specific field, and only the results combined could give a more or less correct answer or information. Given that Germany is at a top rank when it comes to foreign  investment you can assume that industrial processes , state bureaucracy, reliability of the legal system  and  work force together form a favourable mixture for someone with the intention to see his money grow in a stable, fairly predictable , effcient environment.

Im sure you're right! But for the everyday things, it is undeniable that things work quicker here, and less bureaucratically than in the Vaterland. From a quality-of-life point of view, things are simply much easier here - and this is something unmeasurable, but customer service everywhere (be that in the govt or in a commercial setting) is 10x better. Talk about a relief not having to see someone's annoyed face or screaming mouth every day of the year. 

Germany efficient? How can a beaurocratic system be efficient?  A company which can produce the most with the least effort is effient as they cut out most of the time losing work.

A chain is as strong as its weakest link. If you have to cut out only one link of the chain to make it strong again, no problem. But if most of the links in your chain are weak, you better get a new chain. Germany only sticks out as efficient because they are a bunch of slaves who do as told, not much of efficiency there.

So true! I remember that whenever I would complain about something being overly complicated and expensive in DE, people at my last job would just say... "Ist halt so," as though things were just supposed to be like that. 

If you know no other reality, and are told constantly to keep quiet and not complain, I guess things are "halt so. "

. And they also printed the card there - why does everything in Germany take 2-3 weeks and have to be sent over the freaking mail?!

The card was without chip, right? The reason is that it's not printed by a bank itself, it's outsourced.

My bank sends me a new card well over 1 month before expiry date, so I don't really care how much time it takes to print it. Or do you suggest that it would be better to go to efficient Chile office every 2 years??

I have never been to any bank branch since getting account. I'd be upset if I had to.

Opening a bank account requires identification through personal appearance in combination with an ID card or passport. This is an requirement designated to fight money laundering and a result of an agreement of the G10 group some years back. So you might have to show up once at your bank branch or, in case of an online account at a post office and undergo the Postident.process.

Now go and find out in which states this has become the law. And please let us know about the procedures for foreigners wanting to open a bank account in Chile. I have heard that there are waiting times, the requirement of a work contract, a visa , what more bureaucratic humbug ? Or am I ill informed?

-Blood work: walked in to public health care center (!), paid nominal fee, got it done, and had results in my email inbox by 5 pm.

In Germany, this would've taken at least a week to get an appointment, and forget about electronic results. 

I walk into my Hausarzt any morning before 10:30 without an appointment, tell them what I need and get results the next day. Cost - zero.

Slightly worrying thread here...everyone talking about blood results!!!!:lol: Jeez...

Efficiency is when you notice a retired barber in your local area and ask him when he can trim your beard and he says: " whenever you want. Just let me know an hour or two in advance so I can find the keys to where I used to have the shop. " THAT is efficient, ladies and gentlemen. Trust me on this one!:D

PS: need to be efficient and find the guy! In this Cretan village! Despite his Parkinson´s tendencies, he´s really good...

MY MD calls with results the next day!

Same here - I get my blood results the next day. 

I walk into my Hausarzt any morning before 10:30 without an appointment, tell them what I need and get results the next day. Cost - zero.

Maybe your Huasärtze were better, but the 4 I had, loved to give me appointments for far away dates, and never disclosed blood test results over the phone (always made me go). And certainly none of you has same-day email delivery. 

The card was without chip, right? The reason is that it's not printed by a bank itself, it's outsourced.

My bank sends me a new card well over 1 month before expiry date, so I don't really care how much time it takes to print it. Or do you suggest that it would be better to go to efficient Chile office every 2 years??

I have never been to any bank branch since getting account. I'd be upset if I had to.

One was with a chip, One wasn't. Both printed on the spot. Renewals can be picked up or delivered with a messenger service, and they called my cell on the day of delivery to ask me if an office or home delivery would be best, and when they could stop by.

...again, vs Germany: once I had just moved and forgotten to put my name on the Briefkasten. Mailman didn't see my name, returned my card, and I had to wait another 2-3 weeks until the bank sent it again. Ensue raging frustration. 

Oh, and I fforgot something else: instantaneous bank transfers! As in, I click transfer, and the person sees that transfer within seconds. No one business day bullcrap. You know how many times my company had said they had transfered my money, and I had to wait days in order to see the transfer? Those are improvements to quality of life that no freaking security and stability can tell me are better!

Look, Germans out there, there might be things that are actually better in DE. But there's just too many things in DE that are overly and unnecessarily beaureacratic. 

My question is why. Why hasn't Germany joined the digitalization wagon? Why do Germans put up with horrible customer service? Why do so many processes in Germany feel like they're stuck in the 70s?

Is there some odd law that says that everything has to be sent through snail mail?

You ask so many questions....

I will ask just one...

If Cille is so goo and suits you down to the ground...  WHY.. dont you fuck off out of our "German" forum! ??

Cock!