Dartford crossing - payment problems due to German license plate

77 posts in this topic

Ok... To revive this one again...

I made the crossing on Monday 30th... Called them on Tuesday 31st...

The Muppet said.. "Your number hasnt arrived in our data base yet, please call back tomorrow!"

Me...   But tomorrow I will be late payment and you will send my info to EPCplc...

The Muppet...  But your number isnt here yet, call back next week and ask if a letter has been issued, then you can get the reference number...

So, I call back a week later... Sorry, you have been issued a late payment fine.. we cant help you, you need to talk to EPCplc...

I call EPCplc... No answer... ever!   

No contact info by email just FAx...

Any reference to paying needs a ref/incident number... if you attempt to pay online!

Now, I know for a fact that EPCplc will never send me a letter with that reference number... BUT will send the debt on to their German counterpart!

And thats how a 6GBP crossing turns into 375€ fine!

rant over!

If there's no longer a man with a bucket sitting at a toll booth, I think I'll just avoid this issue and drive the long way around the M25, as I'll be going somewhere without even mobile phone reception, let alone interweb access.

2 minutes ago, Gwaptiva said:

If there's no longer a man with a bucket sitting at a toll booth, I think I'll just avoid this issue and drive the long way around the M25, as I'll be going somewhere without even mobile phone reception, let alone interweb access.

Well that's not really a solution and depends where you are going to, for me that would mean a 75 mile detour and at least 1 extra hour spent on the M25!

Luckily, you can pay in other ways.

I tried payzone and the terminal didnt accept my German reg number

The tussi just shrugged her shoulders at me!

SP

Just now, dj_jay_smith said:

Well that's not really a solution and depends where you are going to, for me that would mean a 75 mile detour and at least 1 extra hour spent on the M25!

Luckily, you can pay in other ways.

Driving to the Borders to the M1 isn't such a big deal extra; just have to remember coming off the M20

@SpiderPig I don't understand why you just didn't pay anyway whilst you was on the phone, that's what I always do while I'm sitting waiting for the Eurotunnel and my number never shows up as its to soon but goes down against the car crossing anyway.

3 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Ok... To revive this one again...

I made the crossing on Monday 30th... Called them on Tuesday 31st...

The Muppet said.. "Your number hasnt arrived in our data base yet, please call back tomorrow!"

Me...   But tomorrow I will be late payment and you will send my info to EPCplc...

The Muppet...  But your number isnt here yet, call back next week and ask if a letter has been issued, then you can get the reference number...

So, I call back a week later... Sorry, you have been issued a late payment fine.. we cant help you, you need to talk to EPCplc...

I call EPCplc... No answer... ever!   

No contact info by email just FAx...

Any reference to paying needs a ref/incident number... if you attempt to pay online!

Now, I know for a fact that EPCplc will never send me a letter with that reference number... BUT will send the debt on to their German counterpart!

And thats how a 6GBP crossing turns into 375€ fine!

rant over!

Now I understand why your head is generally stuck up your arse. ;)

56 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

What are you on about?   Or did you just post that so jezza and coolness personified could green you..

Oh i did green it, not that i take the points system seriously. Points make prizes!

9 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

@SpiderPig I don't understand why you just didn't pay anyway whilst you was on the phone, that's what I always do while I'm sitting waiting for the Eurotunnel and my number never shows up as its to soon but goes down against the car crossing anyway.

When I Get tinto Kent, I call my buddy who lives in Hackney...then I decide if I am heading over the bridge and off upto Cheshire or heading into london for the evening!

This time my buddy was in France!  :(

Progress..

I sent a fax to the number at the bottom of EPCplc web page outlining the story...

This morning... 10 days after the " Its been sent to collection agency" call, I got an email with the letter attached!

70 GBP is the fine... but if paid within 14 days, its 35 GBP...   if the fine is not paid within 28 days, then it increases to 108 GBP...

NOW... Here is the naughty bit... The letter that I received only had my email adress in the adress field!!   To me that means that they hadnt even attempted to post the letter to me, thus preventing me the option of paying the lower fine!

Bastards

On 11/11/2017, 10:15:00, SpiderPig said:

NOW... Here is the naughty bit... The letter that I received only had my email adress in the adress field!!   To me that means that they hadnt even attempted to post the letter to me, thus preventing me the option of paying the lower fine!

If I was you then I would challenge the fine in the first place.  There is a process for doing this which is the same as for parking tickets;

https://www.gov.uk/parking-tickets/challenging-a-ticket

Explain the facts of what happened, show how they prevented you paying in time, give dates and times and phone calls (if possible), faxes, emails etc.

I read a story of somebody who got a fine, it was sent to bailiffs (with extra charges, interest etc.) but they had messed up and when she challenged it then she won and just had to pay the original crossing charge.  So it is worthwhile doing this.

Don't forget... These folks are ruthless.. 

I set up an account.. put credit on and drove through a few weeks ago...

Today... Email.. please check your account and look and behold, their system did recognise my number plate and they took their 2:50£...

It's easy to set up an account.. 

Best

Make sure you check your account for correct debiting, I pre-paid £20 on there and had one instance of a double booking ie charged twice for the same crossing and I also had them debit my account for an HGV ( I drive a Golf ) when I wasn't even in the country. Trying to get Dart Charge to rectify their booking errors is a nightmare, keep your receipts and check, if you pre pay.