Dartford crossing - payment problems due to German license plate

77 posts in this topic

But on the prepay account application don't you put the make and model of the car in as well as the registration?  

But I suppose might not make any difference ?

15 hours ago, rodisi said:

I was told that the UK authorities will not give out information on British cars contravening road rules in Germany and that the Germans in return, also will not.  If that is so, how does DartExtortion get the names and addresses?

The info they get isnt a secret... You entered iyour home adress when you booked your Sailing/EuroTunnel!

Sharing info between UK companies is not against the UK law..

1 hour ago, Auntie Helen said:

It auto completes it if it knows the number plate and I had no way of overriding this. 

I thought that was only for the pay as you go account, not the pre paid account.

We saw very few signs when we used it in the Autumn. It was an unpleasant day, and had it not been for prior knowledge from reading this thread (thank you TT), I can honestly say that there is no way we would have known what to do. How people who are not internet savvy, as mentioned above, are supposed to make this work I cannot imagine. Even once on the internetty it was not a simple matter to sort.

We had similar problems with a toll road in Ireland, spent a long time trying to work out how to pay, to no avail and then found a horrible circuitous route to avoid it

Can only hope they improve the system and signage.

22 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

The Letter that came to me has

Departmrnt of Transport Logo on the upper right of the letter...

German Bank account...

Writen in German

The footer says  "Euro Parking Collection PLC  with a london adress!!

As for sharing info... I beleive that the Bridge is now owned by a French company!

so I wonder what the legitimacy is of a London PLC trying to get money off a Germany resident.

On 12/12/2015, 18:18:04, rodisi said:

so I wonder what the legitimacy is of a London PLC trying to get money off a Germany resident.

If you have used a service then it is totally legitimate for them to charge you for it, no matter what your country of residence!

I found out that it is actually possible to pre-pay the charge (just go and pay as you normally would).   You can pay for up to 10 crossing for a single vehicle up to 1 year in advance.  This is what we done this time as it is less stress then trying to remember to pay by the deadline.

Just be aware that the pre-payment is only valid for 1 year from the date of payment, after that it expires (so you are just giving the government money for nothing!).

I had the issue that my license plate has an umlaut, which is of course not accepted by the website! 

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I had the issue that my license plate has an umlaut, which is of course not accepted by the website! 

Just out of curiosity - how did you get around the umlaut issue?

It doesn't matter what you put in it will send you a penalty notice anyway.

I paid GBP5.00 in Feb for a double journey in April. Northward crossing went OK, but I got a penalty notice for the return trip to Dover the same month. There is still a positive balance of GBP2.50 on my account as of today. I got the penalty notice in August and appealed straight away. I am still waiting for resolution of the issue ( December )

sounds like next time I'll be taking the scenic route, the long way around...

mind you, it says that "vehicles exempt from vehicle excise tax don't have to pay"... my vehicle is exempt, as I've paid in Germany :P

On 14/12/2015, 13:25:32, HEM said:

Just out of curiosity - how did you get around the umlaut issue?

I sent them an email on how to deal with it, but of course did not receive a reply!  So in the end I converted the umlaut letter to the non-umlaut equivalent some my Ü became a U and I haven't received a penalty notice and have done this 3 times now.

On 12/12/2015, 11:01:03, snowingagain said:

I thought that was only for the pay as you go account, not the pre paid account.

Nope, it is also for the prepaid account. I've had a Dart Charge account for 15 years or so...

Sorry, what I meant was I thought you could only use a prepaid account for a foreign vehicle.  Ie the pay as you go is for UK registered cars only.

But as you were using prepaid this would not apply.

On 16/12/2015 09:31:11, dj_jay_smith said:

I sent them an email on how to deal with it, but of course did not receive a reply!  So in the end I converted the umlaut letter to the non-umlaut equivalent some my Ü became a U and I haven't received a penalty notice and have done this 3 times now.

Which is ok as soon as you do not live in Bochum (BO) or Börde (BÖ). All other Umlaut plates do not have non-Umlaut duplicates.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Kfz-Kennzeichen_in_Deutschland

Somebody mentioned the need to carry bulbs in the car. I believe that France require by law that you to carry light bulbs in the car, but certain French cars (like my Renault Modus) require that the front bumper is removed to be able to change one! It takes a Renault dealer 30+ minutes to change a bulb at the dealership, so I certainly couldn't change one on the roadside!

According to the AA carrying bulbs is only a recommendation. The ADAC (verkehr) seem to agree.You can be fined for driving with a failed light.  I never carry any. I wouldn't know how to change them if I did.:unsure:

2 hours ago, Craigspc said:

I believe that France require by law that you to carry light bulbs in the car

No. No European country requires light bulb for international cars, and I think it is also not allowed by Convention on road traffic (the vehicle should only be equipped according to domestic law of the origin country).

Special traffic rules (AvD)