Dartford crossing - payment problems due to German license plate

77 posts in this topic

That breathalyser thing has been sacked years ago, actually was never sanctioned.

Edit: And yourkeau has the wrong set of friends. Of course you need to comply with the requirements of the country you are travelling in.

I think you'll find this is not an external company it's a system setup by the EU called EUCARIS

Funny, for a long time even before they got rid of the toll booths the crossing was free between 22.00 - 06.00.

There were always signs indicating the toll charges for all vehicles on both sides of the tunnel but have to admit, I tried using the crossing several times last week and going from south to north is just a nightmare with the traffic and roadworks in place where the toll booths use to be and don't recollect seeing any such signs there now.

Actually no. They may have used EUCARIS to get your information but Italian communities and the private company that runs the toll roads use a company called EMO NIVI to go after you.

Edit: And yourkeau has the wrong set of friends. Of course you need to comply with the requirements of the country you are travelling in.

"Complying with requirements" is a general statement which is only valid when these requirements apply. However, the friend claimed that in this case international convention apply which is above any of the local regulations. For example, you can as well claim that you need to have French equivalent of TÜV to be able to drive in France. However, Vienna convention was signed exactly to prevent this, so if you have a valid German TÜV you can drive in France without French one.

The same applies to compulsory carrying of things: everything which is not in Vienna convention, you do not need.

Hangon? Did they remove the toll booths on the Dartford Tunnel/Crossing? I always just chucked coins in the bucket to open the barrier. Has that gone? I'd hate to have to drive round the M25 the other way (again; but at that point I had no UK cash on me, forgetting about the crossing)

No, no and again: No

The convention you mention doesn't apply for the things you have to carry along or the things you have to equip your car with . Italy and Spain, just an example, require a warning panel at the back of the car if you carry stuff like bicycles with you , fixed at the rear of your car.Or any other stuff which extends the length . Not needed In Germany, hefty fines there.

The list is long, varies from country to country, and  it makes sense to inform yourself before you take off instead of relying on unqualified advice given by a friend of a friend.

I second sosarx. Think about winter tires. You'd be daft to drive through Germany or Scandinavia without them when the conditions deem them necessary, as your insurance company will happily tell you to stick your summer tires.

You drive in a foreign country without knowing about tolls and where to pay them etc then it is no ones fault apart from your own.

I tend not to see many signs over here in English so that I can read them so why would anyone expect England to be different.

As for the ö problem try writing a 7 over here like that rather than with a cross on the stem and see how much confusion that causes.

Many many problems are caused world wide when things are set up for that country to use and someone with a different language/alphabet tries to use them.It's called life and shit happens and we can't expect every country in the world to set up things to use every language/alphabet there is going.

You drive in a foreign country without knowing about tolls and where to pay them etc then it is no ones fault apart from your own.

I tend not to see many signs over here in English so that I can read them so why would anyone expect England to be different.

As for the ö problem try writing a 7 over here like that rather than with a cross on the stem and see how much confusion that causes.

Many many problems are caused world wide when things are set up for that country to use and someone with a different language/alphabet tries to use them.It's called life and shit happens and we can't expect every country in the world to set up things to use every language/alphabet there is going.

When I type a 7 it comes out like 7 ... in English or German but surely if you spend millions building a system that is supposed to recognise foreign number plates it should at least be able to read them?

Let me get this straight.  A foreigner driving through Britain might happen to drive across this bridge, and will not be stopped by a tool booth, but has to just know that if they cross this bridge they should go to a specific website either before or shortly thereafter and register.  If the foreigner, knows nothing about the toll they will be charged 100€?

Are there any other such things I should know about before driving through England to Scotland this summer?

I rememebr the days when those booths were indeed manned by tools :lol:

I also remember the stories (urban myth?) about the time they were striking and just left honesty boxes for motorists to throw money into. The stories say that the money taken during that time was much more than was normally taken by the tool booths :ph34r:

They were manned the last time I went to the UK in september 2014....

A cock in a cabin is better than the automated shite!   At least you knew what the score was!!!

They were manned the last time I went to the UK in september 2014...

A cock in a cabin is better than the automated shite!   At least you knew what the score was!!!

and the last time I looked in 2012 I was suppose to have a breathalyser kit when driving through France but Sosarx has corrected that one for me.

The new Dart charge was introduced on 30 November 2014 so you missed it by a couple of months.

The only problem with the cock in the cabin was if you gave them a £5.00 note or worse a £10.00 or £20.00 note you get a handful of shrapnel back, I hated them for that.

Don't they accept credit cards? Although I prefer vignette system, I must say that French toll system works just great. Everything is automated, you just insert your credit card and that's it.

Bringing this subject back to life as some of you may be traveling to Blighty this Christmas!

In October, I drove to the NW of the UK... Through the DartCharge tunnel and back over their bridge... 

As I knew about the system, I paid more attention to the signage etc..  Indeed there are signs telling you this is a dart charge area etc and the cost if paid by that same Midnight!!   And just a Website adress!  NO telephone numbers!

Anyway, I knew that I could pay upto 14 days later at a slightly increased rate... 

BUT... Upon my return, I forgot... 4 or 5 times, I forgot!!   But when I finally remembered when I was home, I called them!   

"Sorry, Its been forwarded to late payment penalty dept"...  so they transfered me...

I paid the extortionate 75 GBP  ( Not 10 GBP as expected) ...   They emailed me the receipt and I sulked all evening!!!

Fast forward 4 weeks to Monday...  

Yes!!! A love letter from DartCharge, all written in German demanding more money!!     My receipt dated 29th october... Their deman dated 29th November!!!

Try calling either of the numbers on the letter and get an automated voice recording directing you to the website!!   What a load of bollox!

So, I mailed them... sent the Proof of payment and get an appology and confirmation that its paid!!

Now, My gripe is that we all ackmowledge that I have paid... but how does one contact the German debt collectors to inform them that its paid?  

There are no contact details apart from the UK numbers and one of the statements from Dartcharge was 

The penalty charges for foreign vehicles are dealt with by a delegated European enforcement company, they are not sent directly by us, nonetheless, this does not absolve us for the incorrect action taken

So... My saga will continue, that I am sure...

In the meantime... If you are heading to the UK and will be using the Dartford crossing, then Set up an account sooner rather than forget!

Regards

I was told that the UK authorities will not give out information on British cars contravening road rules in Germany and that the Germans in return, also will not.  If that is so, how does DartExtortion get the names and addresses?

I remember when the price was £1 and then went to £1.50.  I asked one of the booth personnel if his salary had gone up by 50% - he laughed.  Shortly after it went to £2 and then with this new system where they got rid of the costs of humans the thieving bastards put the price up to £2.50 - the most legalised extortion in Britain.  As for setting up an account, I cannot imagine how computer-ignorant people can deal with it and especially foreigners.  Yes I now know that there are other places to purchase the pass but when I was looking, I couldn't find mention of it.

As an ex resident of Kent - I have always hated that crossing a) because the bastards originally said that the tolls would only be charged until the tunnel paid for itself and for the traffic chaos that it has always caused not to mention the harm to the environment form the thousands of vehicles spending ridiculous times trying to go through.  BTW, the crossing had paid for itself by 2003 but of course the earning of £70M per year is very difficult to let go.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎38‎:‎28‎, phranco said:

Verify that the following is in the car:

Warnveste for all people in car

They must be in the car where you can reach them. In the boot is no good.

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dart-charge-dartford-crossing-remote-payment

explains it uses debt collection agencies across Europe now (also I think London congestion charges).

The legislation on traffic offences is being harmoniszed across the EU,  in some countries already done,  UK holding out for some things until 2017.

Yes I knew about the debt collection agency but how do they get the info if it is not government supported?

The Letter that came to me has

Departmrnt of Transport Logo on the upper right of the letter...

German Bank account...

Writen in German

The footer says  "Euro Parking Collection PLC  with a london adress!!

As for sharing info... I beleive that the Bridge is now owned by a French company!

I had a slightly different issue with Dart Charge.

When in the UK I used to cross the bridge/tunnel regularly so had an account with a little widget in the car that was read by the machine.  When they changed to Dart Charge (all done with ANPR cameras) I no longer needed the Dart Tag plastic widget behind my rear view mirror.

Anyway, this summer some friends came on a visit to the UK with me and we took my chum's car. Because we would do the crossing twice I decided to add the car to my account. It is a Mülheim an der Ruhr registration but the Dart Account read the number plate MH T2** as a British Land Rover MHT 2**. I phoned them up as I was worried I would end up paying for this Land Rover if he crossed but there was no solution, I just had to hope he didn't cross when the MH car was on my account (a week). Presumably if I hadn't registered the German car the Land Rover owner would have got the bill.

It turns out that the variety of number plates just in Europe makes it incredibly difficult to include them all. Eurotunnel is the same. But it is a pain.