Dartford crossing - payment problems due to German license plate

77 posts in this topic

Confirmation that Britain is an island.

I went across to UK at new year and went over the Dartford crossing. I duly set up an account and gave the 10 quid, registering  my Göttingen registered car (plate GÖ) in the system

Got a fine through the post a month ago for 100 Euros each way!

Made "representation" on the web site connecting the car to the account. Got another demand today for 150 each way 'cos I hadn't paid and hadn't made representation!!

Ended up ringing them... premium number.

The programmers that did the English system, designed to catch us foreign motorists, didn't include the ability to recognise a "Ö". They said I should change it to a "O"!!

And I now need to write a letter to stop further action ... online it seems was not good enough!!!!!!!!

Warning for all that may have a car with an umlaut!!!

The first letter, when it comes, will say "offener betrag jetzt fällig 106.78 Euros.

What is not very obvious (you have to read the whole letter to realise ) is that if you pay within 14 days it's 30 quid (51.55 euros).

(also... the letter took 6 weeks to get to me so I didn't get a chance for that)

Let me get this straight.  A foreigner driving through Britain might happen to drive across this bridge, and will not be stopped by a tool booth, but has to just know that if they cross this bridge they should go to a specific website either before or shortly thereafter and register.  If the foreigner, knows nothing about the toll they will be charged 100€?

Are there any other such things I should know about before driving through England to Scotland this summer?

There are plenty of signs - as long as the foreigner can read english they will know to pay the toll (though I guess it is also easy to forget afterwards, especially after a long journey).  It is similar to a foreigner driving through Austria must buy a vignette, or pay a fine!  Both pretty shitty - extra stuff to do and pay for.

Let me get this straight.  A foreigner driving through Britain might happen to drive across this bridge, and will not be stopped by a tool booth, but has to just know that if they cross this bridge they should go to a specific website either before or shortly thereafter and register.  If the foreigner, knows nothing about the toll they will be charged 100€?

Are there any other such things I should know about before driving through England to Scotland this summer?

There are number of places you can pay for the dart crossing other than registering on their website. I use a local newspaper shop when I'm in the UK and buy several crossings at a time.

@phranco, assuming you are driving from Munich you might want to also check requirements for driving through Belgium and France, France in particular require drivers to carry a self testing breathalyser kit amongst other things.

France in particular require drivers to carry a self testing breathalyser kit amongst other things.

To comply fully with this stupid law, you really need two of the kits. Because if you use one to check whether your safe to drive and you are, you can't drive because you no longer have a testing kit in the car. I suspect that the French minister of transports' brother-in-law owns the company that makes these things.

People also get caught out by the congestion charge in London.

Toll roads with booths exist also in Ireland and Norway and probably other places too. 

Thanks,  I already have some of those.

So, so far my list looks like this.

Verify that the following is in the car:

Warnveste for all people in car

Extra light bulbs

2 breathalysers

Purchase or register before trip:

Ticket for ferry

Dartford crossing

London congestion

Tolls to pay on the spot:

France

Anything else?

Add medical first aid kit and a spare tyre to the list.

Keep in mind that you have to drive with the lights on (even at daytime) in France.

Note that spare fuel canisters are not allowed on ferries towards the UK.

Warnveste for all people in car

Make sure it is in the car in the reach of the driver, not in the trunk. Some authorities (I had first hand experience with the dutch police concerning this issue) kick your €rse, if you have to get out of the car (without a high visibility vest) to obtain the high visibility vests froom the trunk...

Then, in some jurisdictions, you need one vest per seat. So in a car with five seats (and potentially five folks in it), you need five vests even when only three individuals are currently sitting in it.

Add  a spare tyre to the list.

Lots of cars don't have spare tyres these days, some have run flats, some have a pump and some gunky stuff to fill the hole. As far as I know the only law about spare tyres is that if you have one it must be in roadworthy condition.

The gunky stuff wouldn't be much use if the tyre bursts (or can you glue it all back together?)

People also get caught out by the congestion charge in London.

Toll roads with booths exist also in Ireland and Norway and probably other places too. 

Italy has been hot on German drivers too and use an external company to send tickets to foreign registered cars for tolls and for driving in city centers. 

The gunky stuff wouldn't be much use if the tyre bursts (or can you glue it all back together?)

Strangely enough that's pretty much what happened to me. I had a tyre burst, tried to reinflate it using the pump and gunky stuff, only for the stuff to proceed to pour all over the road through the large split on the inside of the tyre that I couldn't see. I had to get the ADAC to come and take my car home on a low loader! Consequently I now insist on having the spare tyre option, even if it is only a small space saver, at least you can still drive with one of those, all be it much more slowly than normal.

I agree... there are alot of dartcharge signs...  

I think I saw both of them..!!

Now, a yr ago when I drove to the UK, the Toll booths were manned... I paid and went on my way...

Nowhere along the route at 2300hrs did I see any signs informing me of how much and how to pay!   But on the way back in the day light... I also didnt see any information about the payment method!  

Typical trap for foreigners!!   Nice one UK GOV

@phranco, assuming you are driving from Munich you might want to also check requirements for driving through Belgium and France, France in particular require drivers to carry a self testing breathalyser kit amongst other things.

ADAC says that lack of such test is not fined anymore. I never carry anything when I go to France on the basis that my car is German registered, thus only German reguilations apply, France can't require you to carry anything which is not required by Germany. Source: anecdote from a law faculty graduate friend.

See e.g.:

https://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/stadt_region_land/laenderfuehrer.aspx?Land=51

Italy has been hot on German drivers too and use an external company to send tickets to foreign registered cars for tolls and for driving in city centers. 

I think you'll find this is not an external company it's a system setup by the EU called EUCARIS

I agree... there are alot of dartcharge signs...  

I think I saw both of them..!!

Now, a yr ago when I drove to the UK, the Toll booths were manned... I paid and went on my way...

Nowhere along the route at 2300hrs did I see any signs informing me of how much and how to pay!   But on the way back in the day light... I also didnt see any information about the payment method!  

Typical trap for foreigners!!   Nice one UK GOV

Funny, for a long time even before they got rid of the toll booths the crossing was free between 22.00 - 06.00.

There were always signs indicating the toll charges for all vehicles on both sides of the tunnel but have to admit, I tried using the crossing several times last week and going from south to north is just a nightmare with the traffic and roadworks in place where the toll booths use to be and don't recollect seeing any such signs there now.

I just got off the phone to them..

My fine/fee was still at 2.50 GBP..   I paid it over the phone!!

0044 300 300 0120

You can send a message on Book-Face  and they will tell you the status of your fine/account..

Chris999... I owe you a big steak for the Barby Next week!